Author Topic: Different twist on a common question  (Read 2648 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Different twist on a common question
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »
Everyone like to think about an out of state fishing trip to that special place where your're sure to limit out. As we all know, no matter where you go, the fishing can be crappy. I've have the dubious distinction of being skunked at some  of the best fishing spots in the country.

- Venice LA: It was a nice day in May which is prime time for redfish. The guide knew his stuff. We stayed out for 12 hours and finally caught a couple of fish at the end of the day. The guide saide it was the worst day he's ever had. Thankfully, it was lights out the next day..

- Islamorada FL: Another prime day in May. I had an evening Tarpon trip the previous night and they chewed well so I had high hopes for my backcountry flats trip the next morning. The few fish that were on the flats turned up thier nose at everything. When we got back to the dock the other captains were in shock at the bad day.

- Lake Champlain: Most Bass pro's say it's the best lake in the country. I had gone there a few years earlier with my Dad and a few friends. We caught so many bass and pike that we had to re-supply with the hot lure of the day, Sluggos. I had high hopes for a guide trip and...caught 1 pike all day...

So lets hear about your trip gone bust..

Offline Jeffish

Re: Different twist on a common question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
This may not fit into this topic, but..

Last fall I was fishing off of IBSP, near the getty for stripers/tog. I was fishing 8 feet away from this guy, and he was pulling in keepers left and right, and I was just getting snagged.  rgmn

Offline striper74

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »
Here's mine.... the trip that wasn't!  On vacation in  Aruba my wife and I met this couple at  a restaurant in Oranjestad.  We were sitting at a table having dinner and struck up a conversation.  They were from Georgia, and you could tell they had money, but they weren't snobs.  They started buying us drinks and next thing you know we're sitting at their table.  They were much older than us, and said they had kids almost my age (which was about 27 at the time).  The husband says to me do you like to fish, and I said of course.  He than says see that fourth boat on the dock (about 40 ft), it's mine for the day tomorrow, come fishing with us, meet us here tomorrow at 7.  Well, later that night I came down with sun poisining from snorkeling all day.  Blisters all over my back and the shakes.  I was so dissapointed! :'(
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
When I was a kid, my parents planned a family vacation to Florida for Easter Break.  We were doing the Orlando and surrounding area.  They had rented a cottage in Clermont, FL on Lake Susan right on the water for the week.  Lake Susan is one of the smaller lakes in a multiple chain of lakes there.  I was really excited to fish and they had a great dock out.  Guys from all over were staying there and had their bass boats parked and docked there.  Fishing was supposed to be GREAT...bass and big crappie, as well as sunfish.

Well, all week, all I could muster was a couple of sunfish.  It was such a let down and aggravating.  I also got to feed the resident alligator some marshmallows.  I think he was eating all the fish :headscra:.

Besides that, I have never fished out of state or planned a trip.  Something I want to do in the future.

TT^

Offline Duffman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
Me and crew head up every August to lake Ontario for a weekend of salmon trolling. Been using the same charter guy for 8 years and have never had a bad time whether the fishing was good or not.
   August '08.  Head up on Friday to our usual campsite, get stuff in order, and hit the local bar for wings and beer.
    Wake up 3 AM Sat morning to howling 30 knot winds. We sit at the dock with the Capt listening to the forecast and its supposed to die down with scattered t-storms all day.  We wait it until 8 AM and shove off as the winds subsided to 15-20.  Lines in within 20 minutes. Like someone turned on  a lightswitch, winds back up to 30, lightning and thunder, downpours and waterspouts all over the lake. probably the only time I've ever felt scared on a boat.
  High tail it back to port to find Oswego was hit by a microburst and all power is out for a 25 mile radius. Head back the campground and one by one we all start feeling sick. To the point where we all needed to be close to the porcelin  ::)
  Decide to bag the whole weekend right there. Usual ride home of 4.5 hours took close to 8 hitting every rest stop along way.  Needless to say we didnt hit the same watering hole for wings last summer  ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-