Author Topic: Black Sea Bass, Summer Flounder and Weakfish Regulation Changes  (Read 8746 times)

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
The NJ DEP has announced new regulations for the recreational and commercial harvest of black sea bass, summer flounder, and weakfish became effective in New Jersey on March 25, 2010. New Jersey's adoption of the regulations was necessary to remain in compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's (ASMFC) Interstate Fishery Management Plans (FMP) for these species.

The regulation changes include a reduction in the recreational black sea bass season, a minor change in the summer flounder recreational season and a recreational and commercial possession limit reduction for weakfish.

For more information on the changes, including season dates and size limits, see http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2010/marreg_changes.htm on the division's web site.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:34:29 PM by CaptTB »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Black Sea Bass, Summer Flounder and Weakfish Regulation Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:33 PM »
 t^

Just got that in an email. Was gonna post it but you beat me to it. Thank you sir.  slt
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
New Jersey summer flounder recreational season to May 29 through September 6, which includes both Memorial Day and Labor Day. The 2009 season was May 23 through September 4. The recreational possession limit and minimum size remain at 6 fish per day and 18 inches.

black sea bass season of May 22 through September 12, which is now in effect in New Jersey. The recreational black sea bass possession limit and minimum size remain at 25 fish per day and 12.5 inches.

The ASMFC's Weakfish Management Board (Board) implemented stock-wide management measures to reduce the recreational and commercial weakfish possession limit due to a determination that the Atlantic Coast weakfish stock is currently depleted and at the lowest population level since estimates have been recorded (1981-2008). The Board implemented stock-wide management measures to promote stock rebuilding, which result in a recreational possession limit of one (1) fish per angler per day. The former New Jersey recreational possession limit was six fish per angler per day.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »
thanks to all for the updates....

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
Wow, 1 weakfish per day.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
Sux  nosmly
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
 Thanks for the post and link guys. slt I see that they are posted as final but as we all remember seabass was supposed to be open year round in 2009 :headscra:. Capt TB is there any truth to a possible change or add on to the final seabass numbers after the final waves are in. Heard a fairly large number being thrown around and possible add on to the current dates. Is this still a possibility?

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:45:33 PM »
Yea 1 Weakfish A day, We thought 2 winter flounder a day was bad  rgmn rgmn rgmn
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
Unfortunately, unlike the sea bass situation, both winter flounder and weakfish stocks are in very bad shape. nosmly

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »
Unfortunately, unlike the sea bass situation, both winter flounder and weakfish stocks are in very bad shape. nosmly

I have been wondering and waiting for a place to post a few questions. I guess this  the spot for now. ;) I have been seeing people post on many sites their distaste and some places(not here) their out right disgust with the winter flounder and weakfish regs. They seem really up set about the small bag limits and  do not seem to have any concern about the stocks health(as bucktail points out.) Is there people out there that really think weakfish and winter flounder are in good shape and its just some big plan to keep fisherman from keeping fish? Just wondering are people p*ssed off at low stocks or low limits?

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-