Author Topic: Selling with a broker  (Read 6052 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Selling with a broker
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
Is it worth it? Will they be able to sell it for more? or faster?

I'll be putting my 21' Hydra Sports up for sale in a month or 2 and was considering using a broker because I realize it'll be tough to sell a fairly big ticket item in this tough economy.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: Selling with a broker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »
A lot of boats are sitting around with no buyers both with and without a broker.

Remember if you hire a broker you could be forking over up to 10% in brokerage fees.

With all the free internet advertising you can do I would try it on my own if you are not strapped to sell quickley.

Get her in great shape, ready to go, take good pic's and price it to sell.

Good Luck t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »
A part of you decision to use a broker or not will depend on how much time you have also. There will be plenty of phone calls to field and a lot of tire kickers will show up. The ones who will really get your goat are the ones who will make an appointment to check the boat and then not show up.

If you can deal with that, go for it. No sense paying someone to sell your property if you can do it yourself. But you do have to take the inconvience of it all into consideration in your decision.

Good luck with your sale.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was pretty much thinking along those lines. That's why I decided to pay for the slip this year because poeple will be wanting to test drive and I didn't want to have to launch every time.

I also want to get one more striper season in and I figure a slip for the rest of the year was an added selling point.

My plan is to take the proceeeds of the sale and downsize to a 16' to 17' boat.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:49:03 PM by bassnblues »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
Good luck with the sale and the striper season.

You may want to add to your sales info that you would be willing to trade down for a comperable valued boat. Or a trade and the difference in cash. Some one out there may have that 17-18 footer and is looking to go up to a 21.  t^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
Good point!

Offline striper sniper

• Semper Fi
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
I can attest to it being a tough economy-I have lowered the price of my boat to the point of losing my shirt and I still don't have any interest.  I'd suggest waiting for the market to turn around (if you can) before selling.  Most (not all) try to get something for nothing and use the economy as an excuse to low-ball ya!!

Good Luck either way!  t^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Unfortunatly, I think it's going to be a good long time before the boat market turns around.

This is a nasty recession and people are going to be scared to spend money on big ticket luxuries (like boats) for a while. I know I am.

How long has it been for sale?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:20:13 PM by bassnblues »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
Just food for thought I sold my last boat on ebay and wound up getting a good deal more than i asked for after a couple guysgot into a bidding war.

Easy to do, you can put a buy it now price and a reserve price and also add the caviot that you will end the auction early if sold privately

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »
 Some might look at it just to get a free ride. I had to put some cash up front just to take it for a test ride. It might weed out the non serious folks.

Offline striper sniper

• Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
Unfortunatly, I think it's going to be a good long time before the boat market turns around.

This is a nasty recession and people are going to be scared to spend money on big ticket luxuries (like boats) for a while. I know I am.

How long has it been for sale?

Officially, only a few weeks.  I listed it during the fall on here (but fall is not boat shopping season) so really about 3 weeks with the ebay thing just ending today.  The last bid came in still a few thousand short.  I'm going to still fish it and if someone wants to see it they will have to travel to where its kept.

Offline striper sniper

• Semper Fi
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Just food for thought I sold my last boat on ebay and wound up getting a good deal more than i asked for after a couple guysgot into a bidding war.

Easy to do, you can put a buy it now price and a reserve price and also add the caviot that you will end the auction early if sold privately

Bob-

Did you have a reserve price set or list it with no reserve to draw interest?  I'd be afraid to go no reserve and forget to end early in the event it didn't get up there!!

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »
Ebay and Craigs list are definitly in my plans.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:11:13 PM by bassnblues »

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:23 PM »
We get people coming into the marina looking for boats quite often. Its also on a main road. I've sold many boats on craigs list with links to my site as well. You definitely have to deal with all the bull that goes along with it though.
If I'm selling a boat, I tell the prospective buyer to leave me a small deposit and I'll set up a seatrial. Then you know there serious.
Give me a listing with your contact info with a good pic or 2 and I'll post it up at the counter in my office. No charge.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:35 AM »
Very nice of you to offer that Matt.  slt

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
Thanks a lot Matt. I should be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
Glad to be of help. I had people come in over the weekend looking and I had nothing in the yard to show. Big difference from last year. If you have a good clean well maintained package with records to show ( people like to see documentation, I know I do. ) it should sell. Remember, most buyers want it In the Water by Memorial Day, the latest when the kids get out of school for the summer.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
I'd save the broker for if you can't sell her yourself. You can always list her later.

Spend some time and effort shinin' her up real good, and keepin' her shiny. There are some new polishes and waxes out that go on n off relatively easy and really do a nice job bringing the shine up. It may sound dumb, but if a prospective buyer sees she's not kept up appearance-wise, they will wonder about what all else under the hood is lacking. Obviously it goes without saying that there should not be anything lacking under the hood. Remember it's a buyer's market, and to sell you need to be a cut above the comps.

I like the idea of a deposit for a sea trial- keeps away the riffraff and the j o's who just wanna go for a boatride...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-