Author Topic: Questions about Tuna fishing  (Read 3951 times)

Offline BottomLine 14

Questions about Tuna fishing
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
Whats going on everyone. First time back on since last year and i already cant get off! Hope everyones doing well. So i know tuna season isnt till the middle to end of the summer but i wanted to get some helpful info on it. Let me start i have a 21ft boat but i have read that people go tuna fishing with boats the same size and even a foot or two smaller. I am docked at Atlantic Highlands and was wondering where i would go from there. I heard that they can be caught as much as 5-10 miles off shore. Also, what kind of equipment, techniques, chumming ideas and all kinds of info like that would be greatly appreciated! I really do not know too much about tuna fishing except for what i have read.
Thank you again everyone and good luck out there!
-Jim

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Questions about Tuna fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
These were the suggestion for Inshore tuna Fishing in a smaller boat.  from Capt. Gene at the Saltwater Fishing Show this year...

Actually the Inshore Tuna are here earlier than that..    but most are fishing for bass.

You can make the run in that boat.  but you need to find a 3 day Good weather window.. and pick the middle day.

For Fishing  you have...
Trolling
Chunking Butter Fish
Butterfly jigs.

These set up cost $   Best bet is to start with the Jigging.

see these video's

InShore Blue Fin Tuna Fishing

This is a great topic and a lot more can be added  and will be by others..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:29:20 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Capt. Rich K

• Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:42:23 AM »
You can make that run but you have to watch the weather good it can get bad quick later in the season like Oct. make sure you have enough fuel to make the run out.we started on the tuna in the first week of July and it was good any where from 16 to 65 mile out but in your boat i would focus on 25 miles and in there is a lot of structure in the mudhole,pick up a good chart.finding fish ,sight look for birds and use your sounder,might have to cover some miles to find them.you can troll,chunking,or jig my favorite check out the videos me and Chris made if you have any more questions i will try to help.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:43:21 AM by Capt. Rich K »

Offline BottomLine 14

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! I have a lot more questions but i don't want to go crazy bothering you so hopefully some more people will give some more information. What lb test do you recommend along with type of bait or jigs or equipment. Sorry for all the questions just trying to know everything i can about it before i head out. I watched the videos they are awesome it makes me want to get out there even more!
-Jim

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »

A lot of the info you want will come once we start running off for them t^

Did you read all the sticky topics in this Board.. t^

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?board=41.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:24:38 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Capt. Rich K

• Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
For jigging I use 65lb tuf line xp make sure you get a reel the can hold 300 yards or more and produces at least 20lbs. of drag i use avet reels,jigging rod is up to you there is a lot out to handle the fish we get here,jigs I used pbj jigs in silver and gold,butterfly jigs assorted color and size.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:04:54 PM by Capt. Rich K »

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
Jump on a trip with Capt Rich.. and all your questions will be answered In one day.  more than you could probably understand here t^

I Am.... ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-