Author Topic: Keansburg Pier..5/14 poachers  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Pool Winner!!

Keansburg Pier..5/14 poachers
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
not that anyone really talks or cares about it, but today at the pier was a blue fish massacre.... schools of rain fish surrounding the pier from the beach to about halfway out...I just wish that pier wasn't so damn high...

on a sad note :'( as i was giving my bluefish away to people, in there coolers were some nice size fluke...but who am i to regulate some jerk... and he was much bigger then me.. 5hrug

so, good news that they are in and hungry...bad news that some people just don't care about the rules
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:58:50 PM by Pool Winner!! »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Keansburg Pier..5/14
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
 nosmly
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
 whs
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
Thats not cool. nosmly
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
Since it's a pay to fish pier, something like that shouldn't happen, dont ya think? 5hrug
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Re: Keansburg Pier..5/14 poachers
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
 nosmly

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
Since it's a pay to fish pier, something like that shouldn't happen, dont ya think? 5hrug

Exactly.  It's a shame.  Last season I was fishing he surf for Stripers/Blues the weekend after Fluke season closed.  There was a family about 50 yards south reeling in fluke one after another and throwing them in the cooler.  Sad this was these fluke couldn't have been larger than 15".
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:07:44 AM »
 nosmly nosmly
Saw a Guy cleaning bass no more than 22-24 inches at the dock .To Boot, the sad bassterd was yelling and cursing at his young son to carry gear to the trailer and boat.Obviously the young fellow was embarassed.  smk
I was so tempted to slap the sh$t out of the guy in fron of his son.  :-\
But thought, I'd go to jail, and the jerk would  be released and go fishing. rgmn rgmn rgmn

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
nosmly nosmly
Saw a Guy cleaning bass no more than 22-24 inches at the dock .To Boot, the sad bassterd was yelling and cursing at his young son to carry gear to the trailer and boat.Obviously the young fellow was embarassed.  smk
I was so tempted to slap the sh$t out of the guy in fron of his son.  :-\
But thought, I'd go to jail, and the jerk would  be released and go fishing. rgmn rgmn rgmn

Lmao at the last few lines there. I wonder if maybe he had a few guys on the boat, and they all got one 24-25 inches. Because did the regulations change to 1 over 24 and 1 over 31 per person ? Or is it still 2 over 28? If it didnt change, I will meet you at the dock and we will both slap the $h1T out of this nerd.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »
nosmly nosmly
To Boot, the sad bassterd was yelling and cursing at his young son to carry gear to the trailer and boat.Obviously the young fellow was embarassed. 

That says it all.  If a person doesn't have respect for their own children, they certainly will not have respect for anything else in this world.  nosmly

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:09 AM »
 whs whs
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »

Exactly.  It's a shame.  Last season I was fishing he surf for Stripers/Blues the weekend after Fluke season closed.  There was a family about 50 yards south reeling in fluke one after another and throwing them in the cooler.  Sad this was these fluke couldn't have been larger than 15".
Wow thats the way I feel when I go to the fish market. All those 14" fish stairing at me .And are they illegal? of course not. Just illegal for me, I hate double standards
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
the pier officials should monitar the regs..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »
 whs

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

Wow thats the way I feel when I go to the fish market. All those 14" fish stairing at me .And are they illegal? of course not. Just illegal for me, I hate double standards

I feel your pain with the 14" legal commercial fish. BUT, I think it's probably better to let them keep the 14" fish and have them count toward their quota instead of throwing them back dead and not counting toward anything but discards.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
Exactly.  This has been explained before.  t^

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
I fish the pier occassionally, Yes, I have seen poaching here. As far as regulating this I don't think that the woman running the pier would want to confront some of her customers. I've only seen state wardens out on the pier twice in all the times I've been there.
It doesn't pay to explain this to some people as I found out last year.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
it would be very easy to catch poacher on the pier.. they are already backed into a corner.. 1 undercover person is all that is needed..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
I have never been to the pier. Do they have the regs posted at the entrance? If not, that would be a start. They can put them up at strategic locations along the pier as a reminder also. Just a thought.

I would not expect the operator to enforce regulations. Leave that to the pros who are equipped to deal with the violators in a legal manner.

Offline Pool Winner!!

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
I do not recall seeing a posting of what is or is not allowed to be kept and what size at the hut where the lady works and people pay.. but I know for sure there is nothing out on the pier itself.. just yard sticks screwed to the boards... So with that said One would think there has to be a sign of some sort..

They did however ask if i had my NOAA card.. which i did.. I dont know if they would turn someone away if they didn't..

on another point.. since it is a "pay to play" pier, the owners should closely monitor what gets caught since they would likely be fined if someone gets caught...

again i didn't keep anything i caught and I dont know if they check coolers as people leave..This was mine first time...

I do know that the pier appears to be a cash cow, and if it were to come up for sale i would buy that in a heartbeat!!! TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-