Author Topic: 5/15 Stripers Up North  (Read 1676 times)

Offline shkbilly

5/15 Stripers Up North
« on: May 15, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
Went out with my friend Kenny on his awesome 26' Southport. Also along were my Dad and co-worker Al. We started out north of the SHR were Kenny had them last week. We saw plenty of bait marks but no fish under them. Moved around a bit and couldn't find anything to setup on so out came the 25's.

Picked up a few bluefish for shark bait. Then the 35 went off and my Dad picked it up and winched in his PB, a 28lber!!!!!!!!!  chrz Also the biggest striper Kenny has had on his new boat. (2nd season) The fish was 42 inches.

We picked away at them on the troll with the stretches working about the same as the bunker spoons we also had out. Al picked one up and so did Kenny. Both in the low 30s, both in the box. With the traffic and confusion, we decided to make it easier and run the spoons only since they seemed to be working better and it was easier to clear the lines and hopefully avoid tangles.

Just as we were about to break out the sandwiches I popped a 25 in to run down the middle for a bit on Al's tiny twig with 15lb test. After about 5 min it goes off and I grab it. Nice striper, get him to the boat and Kenny nets him, 32 inches. In the box he goes. I waited until the lid closed before I announced that that was my first ever LEGAL striper!

See usually its my Dad who takes home the prize on our boat while I fight off all the junk and shorts.  t^

After trolling around some more we decided to call it an early day with 4 in the box and everyone happy. On the way in we stopped on some birds with only us and one other boat on them.

Kenny and  Al both threw poppers while my Dad and I dropped jigs. It was game on!!! At first only bluefish, but with 2-3 stripers following each blue and empty jig to the boat each time. I was anxious to get some action on my new Torium and soon both my Dad and I did. It didn't have stripes but it was an enormous blue and gave the new rig a workout.

Kenny hooked up on another striper with a popper and dumped him in the box too. The action was great with double and triples for a good 30 min. of mostly blues. Mass confusion ensued on the boat as we all were finally on the action we had hoped for. After that, we picked up and headed home.

All in all an awesome day, could not ask for more! Probably hittin it again with Kenny tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:52:59 PM by shkbilly »
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: 5/15 Stripers Up North
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »
 t^ Nice job! Congrats on the PB
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »
Nice ! Thanks for the report,good luck tomorrow.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
Terrific report!  Nice going! t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »
Nice report and catch. Maybe see you out there tomorrow.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
 t^  Nice report and pics. Sounds like a perfect day.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:05:07 PM by PeggyLee »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »
 t^ grtn slt clp
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
Great report and pics and congrats on the PB t^    Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-