Author Topic: newbie angler  (Read 5287 times)

Offline tolbitz

newbie angler
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
heya folks! ive been trolling around this website for a few days now and i have to thank everyone for everything ive learned. You guys are truly a bunch of knowledgeable folks.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: newbie angler
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
Thanks TB..  Yes..  Some friendly Knowledgeable Guys here.  Please make yourself at home.  and If we can help in anyway. Just ask.  It will give these old guys something to do ;D

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
Welcome to the site. Any questions, just ask.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline tolbitz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
Im planning to go surf fishing this sunday, probably somewhere in the AC area. Would you guys have any advice for a newbie surf fisher?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »
Before I answer that question, what kind of equipment do you now have?  Surf fishing is quite different and being different the equipment necessary is a bit larger than normal.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline tolbitz

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »
I have some pretty basic gear. I have a 7ft ugly stik and a daiwa sweepfire 4000. Would that be adequate for surf fishing or should I invest in something better?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:11:17 PM »
If you are going to use that to start with I would suggest putting on 20# braided line to give you maximum line strength with the same amount of spool capacity.

If you start to enjoy the surf then you can go to something a bit larger and a little beefier.

Something in the order of a Tica, 8' Dolphin Surf with a Penn 360 Slammer.  This should be a great outfit for some lighter surf work and also for throwing lighter plugs.  I have this outfit and I use it to walk the surf and throw a number of plugs.

Just to give you some insight if you look on the rod it should tell you what the rod can handle both in lure weight and line weight.  Use this as a guide when picking out a reel.  The reel will have a few line weight to capacity ratios, just figure out if the reels line info falls in the ball park of the rod line weight and you should be good to go.

Just remember that Mono is a bit larger in diameter than braided line, that is why you can get away with a heavier (poundage) braid than mono to line length.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline tolbitz

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul. I  went out to longport today and didn't even get a nibble. It was pretty fun though. I brought a friend along and he seems to enjoy as well. It kinda sucks though; all the peirs we found charged a fee. I guess it's ibsp for us next time.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean.  IBSP charges to get on but if you do not plan on driving on the beach you can park at any of the parking areas ans walk onto the beach fairly easily.  Let me know when you are going and I will see if we can link up.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline tolbitz

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »
I've been to ibsp before but never for fishing. I went there last year to snap some photos. They charge 5 bucks to get into the park but do they charge you to fish as well?
I will be heading there this coming sunday with my gf and her siblings. I plan on leaving them do thier own thing while I fish lol. I'd love to meet up with you there and maybe you can teach me a thing or two 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
There is just a charge to get on and once you are on you czn fish to your hearts desire.  But there is a charge for driving onto the beach, $50 for a 3 day pass and $195 for the seasonal Beach Buggie pass.

I will see whats up on Sunday and maybe we can make that happen.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline tolbitz

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
I just got back from ibsp and it was great. The weather was great today. I didn't catch a dang thing but I got to enjoy the beach. Just a warning, the water is still ice cold.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-