Author Topic: Can someone help me win this bet???  (Read 2691 times)

Offline BAHILA / PCramer6

Can someone help me win this bet???
« on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:08 AM »
Ok so I took someone out fishing a couple of weeks ago and while I'm running at cruising speed on a plane in the ocean (1-2 ft chop)  we were on a plane but we would get sprayed here and there because of the cross chop.  The guy I took fishing keeps telling me to tilt my outboard up to get it on a plane.  Now I've been boating for 15 yrs and to my knowledge tilting your outboard will not put you on a plane.  I explained to him that at slow speeds you push through water, once you accelerate the bow comes up and the ass of the boat sit down and once you gain speed the boat lifts onto a plane.  He said I'm wrong and while you have speed if you tilt up the motor the boat will go faster and run on a plane better.  We have a $10 bet.   Any comments by Capt's and experienced boaters are welcome.  Thanks
BAHILA  23' CC Wellcraft Fisherman
225 Johnson 4-stroke
Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: Can someone help me win this bet???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »
 once you get fast enough to plane, your on plane no matter where your motor is tilted.

now, while on plane tilting your motor up raising the bow will increase your speed, rpms, fuel efficiency, ride, and handleing.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
I agree with what Reel Time said. 
When you are on plane your boat will more or less be 'leveled out' (for lack of a better term).  When you are getting on plane, the bow of the boat rises, the stern of the boat 'squats'.  As you pick up speed the front begins to lower and the back begins to lift up.  The boat is actually rising on the water.  When you are on plane and trim the motor up, that causes the bow to rise even further, thus putting less hull in the water.  Therefore, less friction between the hull/water and a faster more efficient ride.

As far as the bet goes:  You are correct in that you were on plane.  He is correct in that the bow would be raised a little further, thus reducing the amount of spray that would come over the gunnel.
Therefore, it depends on what you were betting on as to who is the winner.  Perhaps, both winners?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »
Ok so I took someone out fishing a couple of weeks ago and while I'm running at cruising speed on a plane in the ocean (1-2 ft chop)  we were on a plane but we would get sprayed here and there because of the cross chop.  The guy I took fishing keeps telling me to tilt my outboard up to get it on a plane.  Now I've been boating for 15 yrs and to my knowledge tilting your outboard will not put you on a plane.  I explained to him that at slow speeds you push through water, once you accelerate the bow comes up and the ass of the boat sit down and once you gain speed the boat lifts onto a plane.  He said I'm wrong and while you have speed if you tilt up the motor the boat will go faster and run on a plane better.  We have a $10 bet.   Any comments by Capt's and experienced boaters are welcome.  Thanks
  If your on plane, tilting the engine up will raise your RPM and give you more speed, that is exactly correct.  BUT, if you want to cut the chop better, use your trim tabs and put your bow down so the boat will cut or bulldose through the chop better.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »
  If your on plane, tilting the engine up will raise your RPM and give you more speed, that is exactly correct.  BUT, if you want to cut the chop better, use your trim tabs and put your bow down so the boat will cut or bulldose through the chop better.

Or trim the endine back down if you don't have trim tabs yet :(

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-