Author Topic: Pilot, Skunk & KOOZ 6/6 bass  (Read 3169 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot, Skunk & KOOZ 6/6 bass
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
What a weekend!  Had a fantastic time at Kooz's daughters wedding at the English Manor on Friday night.  Brian you put on helluva party.  Tried getting the New Brunswick boys together for a day of bassing but could only muster the Skunk and Kooz.  Poor Dog had to take a rain check to catch up on family commitments. Next time Jimmay!

Launched a little late 6:45 with Sal's stinky honey hole in mind but water temps were too warm on the drive by.  74 degrees.  Didn't feel like starting the day catching bluefish so made the turn south to very sweet water that chilled out to 68.  The SH channel was holding a ton of bunker so we spent 45 mins crank in bait.  Loaded the live well with about 18 fresh.  Kooz was swinging away going 8 solid before his first miss!  Awesome job Cuz t^  Skunk in the meantime, played release man and maintained the live well flushing blood till the water in the tank has only a slight pink hue.  Motored south with the general vicinity of the rocks in mind.    Skunk chirps up that he’s spotted a handful of birds working.   A quick confirmation and the wheels cranked port and we're heading due East and keeping a watchful eye.   

We start a track  line on the C80 and there’s a made scramble to bait up a few live ones.   A huge nod to Capt John from the Reel Tight.   A week and a half ago I went to school on a bridle technique (the night Paulie MOB’d on me) using circle hooks and bowtie loops through the snout.  Hey John,  I found the darning needle and put it to good use.   Meacwhile, Skunk and Kooz are piercing bunker through the dorsal with J hooks.  I had my bunk free lining unimpeded with the bridle.   No sooner do I get the bunk in the water a huge explosion erupts 10 ft from the boat.   A real nice bass crashes the bait, slaps the hell out of the it, then circles and engulfs it’s  morning breakfast.    The Trevala is bent in half and the Talica is screaming as she nose dives for the cover.  Meanwhile, Skunks bunker is getting slapped around like a punk kid who messed with the bully in the schoolyard.   I’m working drag and retrieving line when I can.   Skunk’s bass is just having fun beating up the bunk and never actually jumps on the bait where he could pierce its lips!   Net is pulled and a good 20lb is brought into the boat.  Hook removed.  Fish is resuscitated and released for another day.   

We re-drift the same track line with similar results.  Bait is harassed but hook ups are inconsistent.  I get another nice bass again right at boat side.   This one just absolutely pounds the bunker, opens it bucket and swallows it whole.  Unbelievable sight to see!!   Same scenario…. Line is peeling like I’m tied off to the backend of an Amtrak.    After a good 10 minute battle another nice fish is netted but not with out a ton of coaxing by Kooz.   Nice fish!  She weighted out at 27.5 on the digital hand held and the plan was to snap a quick picture and release.   Not going to happen.   As the net is hauled aboard,  she’s bleeding all over the place.   I did try to work her through the water but she was too far gone with a deep hook being the culprit.

We tried this area for a while but the bite just petered out as the wind started to crank up.   We ended up heading back to the lower bay to try our luck there.  Well the blues were there and in fairly good numbers.  Skunk and Kooz made up for the lost time on the outside with hook-ups on blues.  One after another.  We stuck it out in Viking type weather until 1:45.   A couple of more blues make the deck and one more bass.  This time all fish are caught on bunker chunks (mostly mid sections).

We finished up the day feeling good that we slugged it out.  Put bass and blues in the boat, hanging with the Brunswick locals.  A good cap to a great weekend.

Till next.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot, Skunk & KOOZ 6/6 bass
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
Nice trip and report Jeff.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Lt.Willy

• HydraSport Vector 2250 FishBones
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
Good job Z Man, viking weather, LMAO

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »
Good job, nice report as well.  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
 clp t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
good job guys
nice fish

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »
Good job CAPT Z,glad to sea you put the BRUNSWICK GUYS on some fish t^ and  chrz The RED MARY will do it every time.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
Well done Capt!  t^ great trip and as usual, an entertaining report and pics!    chrz

Offline Tbone

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
Nice report and a few really nice fish! Good old boys from NB did it again.  T-Bone

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
Way to go! t^  Tallica huh?  How do you like it?

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »
Nice report and pics Jeff, Great fish. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »

Bob,

Picked up a pair of 16's to match to the Trevalas.  Chris G swayed me on the recommendation for the BFT.  I've been trying it out on the bass so I'm not all fumble fingers when it counts TT^.  Overall, a quality reel!  Manhandles the bass.  I'm pretty sure I can crank in a small volkswagon with this pup.  Still getting used to the setting and fine tuning the free spool drag for casting.  I've had my share of bird nests rgmn  but will tame the beast.   4 out 5 star recommendation.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »
Nice job,report and pics. Z man!

Offline Team Reel Tight

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
glad to see the needle went to good use and the lessons paid off nice work......

Offline shayshay

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
Great report bro...Wish I was able to get out of bed to go with - next time. slt

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »

Bob,

Picked up a pair of 16's to match to the Trevalas.  Chris G swayed me on the recommendation for the BFT.  I've been trying it out on the bass so I'm not all fumble fingers when it counts TT^.  Overall, a quality reel!  Manhandles the bass.  I'm pretty sure I can crank in a small volkswagon with this pup.  Still getting used to the setting and fine tuning the free spool drag for casting.  I've had my share of bird nests rgmn  but will tame the beast.   4 out 5 star recommendation.

Nice Jeff.  Good luck with them! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-