Author Topic: 4th of July blow out  (Read 2819 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
4th of July blow out
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Had high expectations for today with Capt. Ed's report yesterday and the family willing to hit the beach early before sunrise.  We had a beautiful sunrise to start the day off but the clouds and the front were moving inI  fast.  Set everything up and began to throw red and white pencil poppers in the slough about 200 yards north of the N.Jetty right in the middle of a good rip. not much action.  Switched over to A yellow SPRO jig with a Gulp pogy attached, nothing.  Set up two rods with salted clams for my wife and daughter, nothing.

I went back to plugging.  Changed to AVA 47's with a dark green tube, nothing.  Talked to a gentleman walkin n pluggin he reported that no one was catching a thing from A7 south.  While we were talking we noticed a large school of bunker breaking the surface along with a pod of porpoise in hot persuit. They stayed just out of reach. I started plugging again with the hope if some broke off and headed into the slough through the rip followed by either Bass or Blues.  But not this time.  There were three of us fishing the slough but it was not going to happen this day. 

The wind started to pick up and the sand feeling like little needles and to make matters worst it started to rain.  we packed up and were off the beach by 9.

We will be back out there either Sat or Sun. to try again.  The buzz on the beach is that the blitz is coming anytime now. ???  Be ready to hit the beach at a moments notice.  This time of year ALL my gear stays in the vehicle except for the rods they are cleaned and stored in my garage till the next trip.

One note though.  I will be changing over to all braid before the weekend.  I lost a $20 lure because of momo line, thats it for mono for me.  The beach is to harsh an environment and you need the best terminal tackle possible.  I learned my lesson DON'T SCRIMP.

Till next time;

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: 4th of July blow out
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
Hi Paul,

It is still a boat game I guess.

I called John at you know where (LOL - B&N) and his folks told me that they had some weigh-ins came from A7 and Gillikens.

The fish are here ... can you get out next week for a few hours?

Ed
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:45:54 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline poncho

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:02 AM »
Been waiting for that beach blitz for three years now. Same old story, it's gonna happen any day now or you shoulda been here yesterday! Don't hit the beach like I used to.I'm on a doormat mission with fellow board member "Young Gull".

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
Nice report Paul.  You have to stick with it, they will be in anyyyyyyyyy dayyyyy nowwwwww.

Good luck Ponch on your dormat mission.  I will be on that mission on Saturday.  My marina has a fluke tourney and it would be nice to put a big one on the scale.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
Hi All,

Oh I won't give up...I will have to fish around it.  I will be trying Gillikins this weekend and maybe the luck will change.  I'll have to concentrate my attack up there for a while.  That should be good because I haven't been there this year yet.

Not sure about next week yet with band stuff.  This is my last year of the crazies and dealing with weird schedules.  I can't wait till its over in November. Plus I will be away visiting Savannah College of A & D and Virginia Tech.  Will be leaving on Thursday and returning next Tuesday.  Turning it into a mini vacation.  Staying in Ga. and doing the out of towner thing

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »
Good luck at Gilikins.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip next week.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »
Thanks Joe.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-