Author Topic: Partyboat tuna stick....  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Duffman

Partyboat tuna stick....
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Finally got a reel after much searching. Looked at everything from Avets, Penns, Diawa, etc.  Was about to pull the trigger on a new Avet, but came across a single speed Penn International 30 TW on ebay.  Snagged the reel for $180, sent it to Penn to have it cleaned, lubed and new drag washers installed to the tune of $92.  Reel has some scratches but overall in good shape. Figure I got a decent deal @ $272 since a new 30 tw is $450.  Decent service from Penn as well with a 3 week turnaround time.
  What rod should I match to this?  I'm tall, so I think I can get away with a 6 ft stand up. My thinking is I'll have more rod length to keep the fish away from the hull.
  All roller, no roller, roller for stripper and tip only????  I've heard tons of opinions on the roller vs non roller and dont know what to believe!!!
  I've looked at everything from cheap Penns in the $85 range to a Loomis going $480.  Seekers look nice in the mid range $2-$300 but I have never owned one.  Right now price isnt as important as getting the right setup.
  Sorry for the long winded post, just want to do this right!!!  Thanks all

Ruger314

Re: Partyboat tuna stick....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
I like Chaos rods from Fla..

www.chaosfishing.com

you can select rods by species its great plus they stand behind there product 100%

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »
Hi Duffman,

For tuna rods, I have found that there is one way to go ... custom. You would be surprised aboutthe cost.

The world famous Kevin Bogan is right in Pt. Pleasant. He has lifetime warranties and builds on Seeker and Calstar blanks. Those are the only blanks I ever would consider.

I like roller tips only on the top or the top and first guide (depends on the blank).

You can get a custom rod for less than a factory Calstar or Seeker (which are both nice btw).

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
nice reel!! hope you land many tuna with it!

I have no feedback yet regarding the big game rods but over teh winter I put 3 combos together and hope they all work good. i'm a little guy so dropped the coin on some power :D

1- custom 6' lamiglass with roller tip with a trinidad 50

2- custom 6' star aerial all roller with a torsa 30 (reel will also be used on a 7' seeker for the troll)

3- star plasma PS174070ST with a stella 10000

can't wait to get them out on the boat :D

There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline fishraiser

• "Ya Can't Take It With Ya"
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:15:28 AM »
I use Calstar blanks they are 100% guaranteed,as Ed said Kevin Bogan or Dave @ The Reel Seat can hook you up with one,you can pick your colors,it's gonna run you about $300,but you get what you pay for t^
                       Joe
Capt. Joe

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-