Author Topic: Fishing for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 7/17  (Read 2718 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
Fishing for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 7/17
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
This was a busy Saturday for the Captain and Crew of Reel Fun Sportfishing.

Our morning trip with the Art Erickson party started off quite slow with the dreaded "wind against tide" conditions. And the term "wind" was a bit of an understatement. Tried many different locations to find someplace that would cut down on the wind and still maintain some sort of movement to get a drift to catch some fluke. One of the better spots was the lee side of the Earle pier just up to the white restricted buoys where we scored some rather impressive fish in just 21' feet of water. Using both bucktails and dragging bait, we scored pretty well with our usual amount of throwbacks as well as keeper fish mixed in. The keepers in this area were just "barely legal" but keepers just the same. With tough conditions no-one can complain. Then I got a call from Capt. Bruce (CinSan) about a spot he was fishing and producing well, so it was off to our new spot and that call was a good one as we were onto fish immediately with a combination of keeper fluke and shorts on every drift now that the wind had diminished somewhat. (Thank you for the call Capt. Bruce, you know I will return in kind)

Our very popular and successful "Magic Hours" trip yesterday was the much better of the days journeys as we again had a solid west/southwest wind but this time a outgoing tide. Our thanks to the Tom Tanacredi party for a really fun trip. We left the dock at 3:00 pm and headed out to the lower portion of the Reach only to find the wind was really honking. Even with a drift sock out and 6 oz of weight, we were still having a tough time holding bottom. I thought to myself......here we going again! A strategic move could be the only thing to save this trip from being a loser, so I moved to the only area in the bay the would cut down on the wind a bit and utilize the outgoing water and once again that was back to the lee of the pier. But this time, with all the morning private boaters off the water, Tom, John and Dawn scored with a steady stream of shorts along with some nice fat keepers topped off by Dawn's impressive 23 1/2" 5 lb Fluke she caught on a squid and smelt combo............great catch Dawn!

A very challenging day for the Captain and Crew aboard Reel Fun Sportfishing.

Tight Lines,
Capt. John

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Re: Fishing for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 7/17
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Nice work making the necessary adjustments.  Put the puzzle together and got your clients on the meat.   t^ t^

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:55:46 PM »
NICE JOB CAPT JOHN,as you say try and then try harder for you clients.GOOD JOB and TIGHT LINES

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
way to work it  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-