Author Topic: what kind of bait caster and pole?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline amfer

what kind of bait caster and pole?
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
im looking for a bait caster and pole for fluking.i use a spinning reel now but want to switch.i know that a good setup is pricey but whats a decent middle of the rode set up.also what size for off boat in ocean.am currently using a 7' uglystick. thanks
AMFER

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: what kind of bait caster and pole?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
Capt Joe will let you in on that one.  I have 2  they are Fenwick poles holding an ABu Garcia Reel.

We gave one away at our party last year.. around 200$ and worth every dime

he'll chime in in a bit

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:46:37 PM »
Amfer, the outfit I use is a Fenwick HMXT70MHC. This is a 7' trigger stick with carboloy tip tops. It is a one piece stick.

The reel I use is an Abu Garcia Record (RCN60HC). It is basically the same as the 6500 but it has the line release right at your thumb instead on the side plate.

I load this outfit with 30# power pro. It can work some heavy lead when you are fishing deep and the current is running.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
How much weight do you usually drag?

I use Abu 4600/5600 C4 with 3.8gears in them. Also the 5500 C3.  Covers most of my fluking needs with those from bucktailing to dragging baits.  Anything over 8ozs does become a chore and I go with some other conventionals for that duty.

Rods?  That has a lot to do with personal preference and fishing style.  Want a great all around inshore rod?  Check out the GUSA SW70MH. Buddy is starting to make some factory customs that may seem a bit pricey, but that rod is killer for just about anything around here inshore...called the Fluke Killer.  Way surpasses any GLoomis or other high-end rod out there and has quality componets with quite a few options for you to choose from.
http://www.northeastrodbuilders.com/gusafactorycustoms.html
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »
Does anyone have any opinion on th Cabela's Salt Striker Baitcaster. 5.2:1 gear ratio, five stainless steel ball bearings and one piece aluminum frame and side plates. Looks nice in the catalog. Thanks.

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-