Author Topic: 32 ft boat and 6 fishermen missing  (Read 26498 times)

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
32 ft boat and 6 fishermen missing
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
Apdate. Capt. Joe Just Posted..
"Just got a report that the guys were found alive 120 miles east of Atlantic City at 7pm tonight by a CG helicopter."

ATLANTIC CITY — Coast Guard aircraft and boats are searching for six men who failed to return from a fishing trip off Atlantic City.

The Coast Guard says it received a call from the wife of one of men on Sunday night. She said the men had left Forked (FOR'-ked) River Saturday aboard the 32-foot vessel Black Magic for an overnight fishing trip about 85 miles east of Atlantic City.

They were due to return Sunday morning.

The men are identified as Bernie Otiemsky, Jerry Lewis, Ed Filcox, Geoffrey McDade, James McDade and Ray Somerville. There is no word on their hometowns.

Two rescue helicopter crews, a C-130 aircraft and three Coast Guard boats are searching.

Source : mycentraljersey.com

Update :

There is also now a report from the AP that the boat may have gone offcourse and could be as far north as Martha's Vineyard, after initial reports put the boat 85 miles east o

Thomas McDade is the son of boat owner Geoffrey McDade and thebrother of one of the other fishermen, James McDade.

He says his mother called the Coast Guard on Sunday afternoon when the group did not return as planned from an overnight deep-sea tuna fishing trip aboard the 32-foot vessel Black Magic.

The Coast Guard initially was searching off the New Jersey coast, but they have moved to the north, near Martha's Vineyard, Mass., after a mayday call came from there around 1 a.m. Monday.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:50:32 PM by Hotrod »
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: 32 ft boat and 6 fishermen missing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Ah Man.. not good..  I hope everything turns out ok

Here is More

Six Boaters Missing Off Atlantic City

Updated: Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 12:08 PM EDT

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - Six men are missing after they didn't return from an overnight fishing trip 85 miles east of Atlantic City, N.J.

Two rescue helicopter crews from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, a C-130 aircraft and three Coast Guard boats are searching the area known as the Canyons, or Toms Canyon for the missing men.

The Coast Guard says it received a call at 6:40 p.m. Sunday from the wife of one of men.

She said the men had left Forked River Saturday aboard the 32-foot vessel Black Magic for an overnight fishing trip.

The web site for the boat says it is a 40-foot Viking that is piloted by a charter captain, and it specializes in trips to the Canyons.

The site says the boat is equipped with a satellite rescue beacon and life raft.

They were set to return Sunday morning.

The men are Bernie Otiemsky, Jerry Lewis, Ed Filcox, Geoffrey McDade, James McDade and Ray Somerville. There is no word on their hometowns.

Anyone with information about the missing boaters is asked to call Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay at 215-271-4960.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:57:59 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »
wow..not good.. I hope all turns out OK..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
I hope and pray it's not the Ray Somerville, I know....
Regardless, I hope and pray for a good outcome for this incident and all involved.
I think of all the times me and my friends went out to the canyons in boats less than 30' long and what could have happened.
But we always did the trips on the buddie system, and never lost sight of each other. All ways a minimum of 3 boats.
( the just in case rule )
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:38:59 PM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »
Update :

There is also now a report from the AP that the boat may have gone offcourse and could be as far north as Martha's Vineyard, after initial reports put the boat 85 miles east o

Thomas McDade is the son of boat owner Geoffrey McDade and thebrother of one of the other fishermen, James McDade.

He says his mother called the Coast Guard on Sunday afternoon when the group did not return as planned from an overnight deep-sea tuna fishing trip aboard the 32-foot vessel Black Magic.

The Coast Guard initially was searching off the New Jersey coast, but they have moved to the north, near Martha's Vineyard, Mass., after a mayday call came from there around 1 a.m. Monday.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
Lets hope everybody returns safe and sound.
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
Mystery Grows Over Lost Charter Boat

Updated: Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - Six New Jersey men failed to return from a weekend overnight fishing trip, and the Coast Guard was searching for their sport-fishing boat Monday off the coast of Massachusetts, where they might have issued a mayday call.

The six men are Bernie Otiemsky, Jerry Lewis, Ed Silcox, Geoffrey McDade, James McDade and Ray Somerville.

The Press of Atlantic City says Otiemsky and Silcox work for Peirce-Phelps Inc., a Philadelphia-based company that sells heating, ventilation, cooling and other home consumer products.

Thomas McDade said his father, Geoffrey, and 26-year-old brother, James, were among the group that left Saturday morning on a trip to catch tuna about 85 miles east of Atlantic City. They were to return Sunday morning and when they weren't home by the evening, Thomas McDade said his mother called authorities.

The search for the 32-foot vessel, Black Magic, initially focused on the area near where the men had planned to go fishing.

But a Coast Guard radio tower on Martha's Vineyard picked up a mayday call around 1 a.m. Monday, Coast Guard Petty Officer Jonathan Lindberg said. A recording of the call was played for families of the missing, one of whom recognized the voice as that of her husband.

The search then was expanded to include Martha's Vineyard, though the guard was continuing to search the area off New Jersey, he said. Two rescue helicopter crews from Atlantic City, a C-130 aircraft from Elizabeth City, N.C., and three Coast Guard boats from ports along the Jersey shore are searching.

Lindberg said there has been no contact with the boat since the mayday call, and no emergency beacon had been detected. The boat was equipped with an emergency positioning radio beacon, or EPIRB, which is designed to float free when the unit gets wet and automatically broadcast its position to rescuers.

The mayday call offered some hope that the boat hadn't capsized or sunk.

"I've been trying their cellphones, but they're too far off shore," said Thomas McDade. "There's nothing much we can do except hope and pray."

The weather in the area was mostly calm over the weekend, said Greg Heavener, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's southern New Jersey office.

"The winds were fairly benign," he said. "There were a few spikes where it briefly reached 25 knots, but that was very, very quickly. There weren't any gales out there, and the seas were 3 to 5 feet, nothing out of the ordinary."

Geoffrey McDade is a diesel mechanic and James McDade is a machinist in the Navy.

Besides the EPIRB, the vessel carries an array of safety gear including a global positioning system, an autopilot, three VHF radios, a supplemental radio known as a single-sideband radio and an inflatable life raft, according to the boat's website. T

Anyone with information about the missing boaters is asked to call Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay at 215-271-4960.

Offline Screamnreels

• Capt. Ron
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »
Every captains nightmare, prayers are with them for a safe return.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
A lot of confusion in the media. they are showing the wrong boat and web site.  this is a 32' Blakfin

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »
 nosmly

my prayers to the anglers and families for safe return.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Screamnreels

• Capt. Ron
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
I'am at a home on LBI (Brant Beach) a CC helicopter just flew over heading SW toward Atlantic City airport. Most likely needing to re-fuel.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
I sure hope this has a good outcome

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »

Just got a report that the guys were found alive 120 miles east of Atlantic City at 7pm tonight by a CG helicopter.  t^ t^ t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Thank God....
Thanks for the update Joe...

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »
Thank you  

Can't wait to hear this story
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:05:40 PM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »

Just got a report that the guys were found alive 120 miles east of Atlantic City at 7pm tonight by a CG helicopter.  t^ t^ t^

Did they catch anything? 5hrug ;D

That's great news! t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
That's GREAT NEWS>>    I Hope everyone is ok..  t^

Offline Screamnreels

• Capt. Ron
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
OUTSTANDING NEWS, our prayers were answered. clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Sounds like they had mechanical issues and were adrift. Chopper was staying on scene until a CG Cutter arrived. All aboard seem to be fine.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
Great news,all alive
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-