Author Topic: New to fishing!  (Read 3183 times)

Offline jerseydog

• Full Member of the Den
New to fishing!
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
I am the definition of "newbie". I am 37 years old and have fished fresh water here and there growing up.  About a month ago a group of us went up to Mystic, CT for the weekend for a little getaway.  My buddy, who is an experienced angler, brought up some poles to fish off the dock behind the place we rented. I caught a Porgy using worms then used the Porgy for bait.  Just as it got dark, I was reeling in my line slowly then BAM..something hit it and took off!  I only fought the thing for about minute or two and then the line snapped (I'm thinking it may have been a Blue?). 

That's all it took for me to be 'hooked'! I now think about going fishing just about every day.  I only own a few old poles for freshwater and some very light gear.  I'm looking to get some equiptment to use for the fall surf season. I live in South Jersey about 30 miles north west of AC.  I went surf fishing for the first time Sunday in Brigantine.  Even though we didn't catch anything, not even a nibble, I loved every minute of it.  My buddy is teaching me as if I were a 5 year old and at times it's a little embarassing but hey, better late than never right?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: New to fishing!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
Welcome Jersey Dog.

There is a ton of info here.. browse around some of the topics in the Helping Each Other Out Forum.  and feel free to post up any questions.. No such thing as a stupid question t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Welcome to the site JD. Any questions, just ask. Looking forward to your posts/reports.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Good luck out there!  Hoping to see some good reports from you. 

Sometimes it's not only the fish that gets hooked!  t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
Welcome to the site.....looking forward to some reports from the south clp
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline jerseydog

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
Thanks guys!  I already have the weekend of Nov. 6th penciled in for surf fishing.  I'm gonna try and get one in before then too.  I've also been reading up on the charters out of Cape May.  I don't really know how my sea legs are so I'm a little nervous about that..lol! 

If anyone has some tips on good spots (that they're willing to share, lol)I'm all ears!

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
Jersey Dog, Welcome !!! I never met you and do not know you but am proud of you.
This great sport is ADDICTIVE!! Surf,Boat,Back Bays,Docks, Bridges,Head Boats, Party Boats,Tackle making, Rod building,sinker pouring,trips with buddies...
YOUR HOOKED !!
Learn,Fish hard and pass ALMOST, ALMOST everything to the next guy.  rofla rofla
Best Wishes    AJ.

Offline jerseydog

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks AJ!  I'm just pissed that it took me 37 years to discover the passion!  I'm just looking forward to the rest of my days enjoying some good fishing.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »
Welcome Jersey Dog...Now you know how we all feel about fishing...Once your HOOKED its a DONE DEAL... slt slt
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »
Welcome! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-