Author Topic: Thanks for sharing great info.  (Read 21426 times)

Offline topwater

• Full Member of the Den
  • do it right or do it twice...
Thanks for sharing great info.
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:25:25 AM »
Hey guys... I'm still pretty new to the site and the sport of surf fishing. I don't normally have alot to say or add to conversations, but I do have alot to learn so I just read and try to absorb what you veterans have to offer.

This is my second fall run, and before I move out of state, my goal was to catch a keeper size striped bass on an artificial lure (I'm not much of a bait fisherman)... Ive caught a handfull of shorts and always released them with care and the least amount of stress on the fish, but I wanted to bring a fish home and serve my family since I have never eaten striped bass... Well, finally last Wednesday my wish came true, I caught my first keeper (30") beauty on a black needlefish... I almost danced the jig on the beach that night! Filleted the fish the next day (first time too) and I think I did a pretty good job after researching "how to" videos... I had enough meat to prepare a meal for 8 family members!! TT^ of course we had some sides since alone it wouldn't be enough... but MAN was it delicious... it felt really good to be able to put a nice dinner on the table for my family (especially in todays economy) and have alittle fun in the process.

Went out yesterday morning, and caught a limit of 2 twin 32" linesides a couple hundred yards north of Gilikins on IBSP (picture of one of the two as my profile now),,, one on an AVA with a black tube and the other on the teaser (something I learned about on this site)... a day to remember for sure!!! we now have enough protein for many meals, and if I'm fortuneate enough to hook into any more this year, I will be glad to practice CPR so someone else has the opportunity to feel how powerful these beautiful fish are on the end of your line...

Thank you all for the information you share on this site, from my experience eventhough people might not have much to say, they are always reading and learning from those who do. slt

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:06:45 PM by Hotrod »
;D thats what she said ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: From the suds...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
Congratulations on achieving your goal! t^  Glad we could help you out with that.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
 whs  Nicely done!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
Nice  t^Hey Topwater you're on your way to expert surf fisherman ! There is a time for bait but I'm with you,I love casting lures  ;D

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Thanks for sharing great info.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
 clp.   Made this a new topic. 

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
 t^
Great story.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »
Put in the time and you will get your reward. WTG.

Nothing like feeding your family with something you caught yourself.  t^

And you are right, the guys on this site are the best. Never afraid to share info.  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline topwater

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
Thanks everyone.. chrz. and I sure did put in the time as Irish eyes said,,, I think my wife was begining to think I was somewhere else besides the beach at midnight... haha...

Im moving to Harford County Maryland in March, and I did some research. The closest beach is about 2 1/2 hours in any direction, but I do have the bay pretty close... no boat though. And I've really grown to love walking the beach with my boots in the suds... especially at night for some reason (maybe since there are less crowds)... just very peaceful to me... hope I still get the chance to pursue that giant lineside from the shore somewhere....

I was wondering, if black or dark purple is best at night, why dont I see more lures in this color? would a black bucktail with a black trailer produce at night? or an AVA jig with a black paint job do as well at night? Or am I just not looking hard enough for these types of products?   :headscra:

thanks agian...

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
Swimmers like the Bombers are available in black.
For metals, T-Hex is available in a blackish finish.  Otherwise, AVAs are available with black tube tails.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Nice  t^Hey Topwater you're on your way to expert surf fisherman ! There is a time for bait but I'm with you,I love casting lures  ;D

whs

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
I was wondering, if black or dark purple is best at night, why dont I see more lures in this color? would a black bucktail with a black trailer produce at night? or an AVA jig with a black paint job do as well at night? Or am I just not looking hard enough for these types of products?   :headscra:
thanks agian...

Black/Dark Purple are nite time producers, at least for me. In addition to Chris' recommendations I would add (have caught fish on these) the Andrus Bucktail in black (put a black curly tail on it or pork rind and add a black teaser) and the Fish Stix in black/purple from tomorrows tackle...ronnie from fishermens supply has both.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:29:05 PM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
Well topwater, it sounds like you have a good handle on this sport we call surf fishing.  I have to agree with you, although I have not been out at night lately but fishing at night as an altogether different experience.

For one thing your for the most part all alone and the cares of the day are gone.  Secondly like you mentioned the beaches are empty of all the day crew and it is easier to maneuver and fish.

Congrats on your first keeper and it looks like your in the grove.  Keep it going and this fall will be one to remember for sure.

Black is usually used for top water lures as it can be seen a little better against a brighter sky as the fish looks up.  I have a few black lures and the ones mentioned here are all good producers at night.

That whole area by Gillikins is on fire this year but I am now hearing that it does not matter to much what area you fish this year if you keep to the basics and know where to throw your lures you will catch fish.  It is important to make sure you put time in in order to catch. 

This does not mean to just go out and plunk just anywhere you have to be able to present your offerings in the best places and with the right lures that have the right action the fish want to see.

By reading the reports on here and for the most part the guys do a great job on addressing the where, how, what and the when they are catching fish.  Specifics are not really needed just as long as you go away from them knowing that there is a technique that did work.

Good job, well done.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline topwater

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
All, thank you.

I agree, walking the beach on a quiet starry night, hooking into something and looking into the black ocean not knowing whats on the end of your line is definitely an altogether different experience, and one I feel I crave at times...

This fall has already been my most memorable as an angler to date, hopefully the rest will just be icing on the cake.

I look forward to adding the black Andrus Bucktail and Fish Stix to my night time arsenal and learning how to present them the right way. thank you for that info.

Also, working for the US military has made me a humble man, this veterens day make sure you thank a Vet for making it possible to do what you love where and when you so choose. It will make their day. slt

Well, until I have anything of importance to say, I'll fall back into my favorite place (the darkness) and learn from what's offered here.

Thanks again,

may your lines be tight and your knots be strong!
 t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
Good going topwater.  zI had 2 vets out today one a DAV.  I am so glad that one of them caught and it was the DAV.  It was his very first bass so he was excited and now has the fever.  We will be going out again next week.

I sent him home with 2 nice fillets for dinner tonight.  I salute all the vets out there and a great big THANK YOU for your service.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
Nice going Topwater! God Bless Our Vets slt
FYI, i was just at ronnies picking up a new drytop and i didnt see fish stix ... but i wasnt looking for them

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-