Author Topic: Amendment Sends Registry Back to Assembly  (Read 4681 times)

Offline apmaurosr

Amendment Sends Registry Back to Assembly
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
December 21, 2010
Press Release
Belmar, NJ

Yesterday the full Senate voted to pass bill S1122 (free saltwater registry). The bill is sponsored by Sen. Jennifer Beck (R) and Sen. Jeff Van Drew (D), and requires the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to administer a free saltwater registry program to comply with the federal mandate for data collection. The bill was unanimously approved 36-0.

However, apparently a minor amendment made during the Senate session will send the bill back to the Assembly for consideration the first week of January. The amended bill is expected to pass in the Assembly.

The bill does not specify where the funding will originate to cover the cost of the registry. Non-government organizations (NGO) estimate it will cost approximately $600,000 to implement and manage the free registry. But a considerable percentage is likely to go to a company that has the contract to provide the equipment that registers anglers. The balance would go toward registry management at the state level. The cost of the registry is expected to equal, or exceed, the entire state appropriation to the Bureau Marine Fisheries (BMF).

Although there is a reported 600,000 saltwater anglers in New Jersey it is a changing percentage that fish from year-to-year. The DEP recently announced that a $5.00 fee is needed to cover the cost of the free saltwater registry.

Mauro said, "Regardless of the actual numbers we know that the money to implement and manage a registry must come from someplace and interestingly the very same state government that has run up a deficit of $10.7 billion hasn't addressed how the registry will be funded. Chances are that the huge budget deficit will add pressure to raid accounts already underfunded." Mauro continued, "We don't want funds that are used to run natural resources to be ransacked. It's that simple. This unfunded mandate is one more straw added to the weakened backbone of the very things the saltwater registry is designed to provide free access to."

The BMF budget has already been cut to the point where conservation organizations have voiced concerns about the bureau's ability to adhere to federal requirements for fisheries research and management. In the end, an ineffectual BMF could cause fishery closures.

Peter Grimbilas, President, NJOA (CF) said, "You don't get something for nothing so it's wise for anglers to make sure that funds currently used to manage fisheries or other natural resources aren't used for the free registry. When people call the Governor's office (1-609-292-6000) I'd suggest that they also relay that they don't want funding for Bill S1122/A823 "Free Recreational Saltwater Fishing Registry" to come from fishery management or other natural resource accounts."

Since the state of New Jersey has not provided a means to fund the registry, and given the poor state of affairs at BMF, the consensus of the majority of NJOA (CF) council members is that a $2.00 administrative fee is needed to cover the projected costs.

NOTE: It has been incorrectly reported in the press and other venues that the NJOA, Jersey Coast Anglers Association and New Jersey Beach Buggy Association are in favor of a saltwater $21.50 license. The majority of saltwater-only NJOA (CF) council members continue to support a $2.00 administrative fee to cover registry costs.

The NJOA (CF) will continue to provide updates on the status of the free registry.

Anthony P. Mauro, Sr
Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Conservation Foundation
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Environmental Projects       

Join the NJOA,  "Help us to help you ensure your outdoor freedoms!"____

JOIN NJOA:  http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html

Officers: Ed Markowski, Captain Pete Grimbilas, Jerry Natale, Len Wolgast, PhD., Anthony Mauro   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Amendment Sends Registry Back to Assembly
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
as I said before- send yer 5 bux to me- I will manage the registry

I'll even keep it safe and back it up too- something I'm not sure the politicos know how to do (or even know why it's important...)

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
Quote from above:

The DEP recently announced that a $5.00 fee is needed to cover the cost of the free saltwater registry.

we have to pay for something that is free 5hrug

I'm not the brightest guy on the planet but that makes no sense to me...

I'm giving my house away for free...
just gota pay me the 650K fee....

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »
According to their guy at the senate meeting two weeks ago it would cost them between $2-4 to administer this. WTF do they need $5 for? Coffee?

We pay more than enought with the sales taxes we pay and fed tax on fishing gear. Use that money to could cover administrative fees instead of putting it into the general fund. We don't need to pay any more than what we already are.  >:(
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »
Totally agree with you Joe....

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
Quote from above:

The DEP recently announced that a $5.00 fee is needed to cover the cost of the free saltwater registry.

we have to pay for something that is free 5hrug

I'm not the brightest guy on the planet but that makes no sense to me...

I'm giving my house away for free...
just gota pay me the 650K fee....

I think the word was FEE and not free concerning the 5 bucks......... What happens to the money when you buy a NJ striper bonus tag? Does it go to help managing the resource or is 2 bucks what it cost to run the program that issues the tag.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
Capt Birch, I believe that two dollars in a 'convenience' fee from the site where it is administered.

When the bonus tag program was first set up so you could get the tag online you could still have a bonus tag sent by mail at no cost or pay the $2 fee to do it online.

When I renew my vehicle registration I do it online and they always add a $2 'convenience' fee.

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »
According to their guy at the senate meeting two weeks ago it would cost them between $2-4 to administer this. WTF do they need $5 for? Coffee?

We pay more than enought with the sales taxes we pay and fed tax on fishing gear. Use that money to could cover administrative fees instead of putting it into the general fund. We don't need to pay any more than what we already are.  >:(

Boy Joe I hope the golfers around the state don't jump on the sales tax band wagon. I can see it now "hey we pay more than enough sales tax in this state we demand that some of Birches and Capt Joe's income tax money build us some new golf courses ;D.
 There is a  nice little article concerning the the angler "excise tax" in the NJ 2011 Freshwater Digest. Even though it was written by Chanda >:D its not a bad read. It states that NJ receives a total of 4 million a year from the Sportfish Restoration fund and that the money is used for both fresh and salt water.
 Well my sarcasm was intended for a laugh have a great holiday. ;D ;D

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »
 ;D

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »
Capt Birch, I believe that two dollars in a 'convenience' fee from the site where it is administered.

When the bonus tag program was first set up so you could get the tag on line you could still have a bonus tag sent by mail at no cost or pay the $2 fee to do it on line.

When I renew my vehicle registration I do it on line and they always add a $2 'convenience' fee.

Thanks Joe I was kinda just baiting the hook. ;)
There is also an  extra fee when we buy our hunting and fishing license. It cost the state a dollar to provide the license and the seller gets a dollar.The convenience fee is what is suppose to cover the cost of the on line programs. Last year Capt TB told a group I was at that, at the time it would cost a little more  than a buck for the state to set up the program. He also said Chandas response was less than receptive to the idea of a"free"(really $2.00) program. This program will need to be funded and at this time I realy do not think there are any extra slices of pie laying around.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:27:05 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:32:53 PM »

Boy Joe I hope the golfers around the state don't jump on the sales tax band wagon. I can see it now "hey we pay more than enough sales tax in this state we demand that some of Birches and Capt Joe's income tax money build us some new golf courses ;D.
 There is a  nice little article concerning the the angler "excise tax" in the NJ 2011 Freshwater Digest. Even though it was written by Chanda >:D its not a bad read. It states that NJ receives a total of 4 million a year from the Sportfish Restoration fund and that the money is used for both fresh and salt water.

In my county (Mercer) we have three county run golf courses. I'd bet that the golfers don't fund ALL of the $$$ it takes to run them.  :P ;D

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

In my county (Mercer) we have three county run golf courses. I'd bet that the golfers don't fund ALL of the $$$ it takes to run them.  :P ;D

TT^ TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
WE can do it. and we'll charge 1$..   lets see.  1$ x ..... ;D

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
This is a technical issue. When dealing with two pieces of legislation passed so far apart (March vs. December) discrepancies can and will emerge. Having the Assembly version changed to match the Senate version is A GOOD THING!!! The senate version that passed does NOT allow a fee to be charged.

Talking about the DEP request for a $5.00 fee and the amendment needed to the Assembly bill (which would NOT allow a fee) confuses two separate issues.

Since the two bills differ slightly in language, this is a necessary step since matching bills must be passed for the governor to sign.

More to follow.

Offline njdiver

Offline njdiver

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
These Legislators need to hear from you:

NJ Assembly Leadership

Assemblywoman Sheila Y. Oliver
(Assembly Speaker)
15-33 Halsted Street
Suite 202
East Orange, NJ 07018
Phone: 973-395-1166
Fax: 973-395-1724
AswOliver@njleg.org
Legislative District 34

Assemblyman Joseph Cryan
(Majority Leader)
985 Stuyvesant Avenue
Union, NJ 07083
Phone: 908-624-0880
Fax: 908-624-0587
AsmCryan@njleg.org
Legislative District 20

Assemblyman Jerry Green
(Speaker Pro Tempore)
17 Watchung Avenue
Plainfield, NJ 07060
Phone: 908-561-5757
Fax: 908-561-5547
AsmGreen@njleg.org
Legislative District 22

Assemblywoman Joan M. Quigley
(Majority Conference Leader)
235 Ninth Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Phone: 201-217-4614
Fax: 201-217-4617
JoanQ@aol.com or AswQuigley@njleg.org
Legislative District 32

Assemblyman Thomas P. Giblin
(Deputy Majority Leader)
1333 Broad Street
Clifton, NJ 07013-4219
Phone: 973-779-3125
Fax: 973-779-3156
AsmGiblin@njleg.org
Legislative District 34

Assemblyman Peter J. Barnes, III
(Majority Whip)
3 Stephenville Parkway
Suite 2E
Edison, NJ 08820-3061
Phone: 732-548-1406
Fax: 732-548-1623
AsmBarnes@njleg.org
Legislative District 18

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-