Author Topic: Press Clarifies NJOA Position on Free Registry  (Read 20999 times)

Offline njdiver

Re: Press Clarifies NJOA Position on Free Registry
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
 Njdiver, Actually I did a bit of research, including speaking with John Organ ,Chief, Division of Wildlife  @ sport fish Restoration.

And yet you still make unsubstantiated claims as to how much money we will and/or are losing.

However, Federal grants can require the State to have a saltwater license in place as a prerequisite.

Again I say prove it. Corroborate your statement with a citing of the law or regulation that dictates what you profess and a link to where it can be read by all.

Really, what is your point, NJ is out millions of Dollars either way it falls. Yes, you are correct that they consider the amount of shore line for state appropriations of DJSR funds. That however does not change the fact: the lack of a saltwater license is costing NJ millions in DJSF funds.

I have never denied the fact that we get a smaller share of SRF moneys for the lack of a NJ Marine Recreational Angling License, I just do not inflate the amount we would receive otherwise to try and impress the uninformed to sway them.  

Mater of fact John Organ Chief, Division of Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration said, NJ would  receive  money today, if NJ had a saltwater license.

You are again making uniformed and/or out of context statements.  

TITLE 50--WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES

CHAPTER I--UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE
                          INTERIOR (CONTINUED)

PART 80_ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS, FEDERAL AID IN FISH AND FEDERAL

Sec. 80.10  Hunting and fishing license certification.

(a) Information concerning the number of persons holding paid
licenses to hunt and the number of persons holding paid licenses to fish
for sport or recreation in the State in the preceding year shall be
furnished upon request of the Director by the fish and wildlife agency
of each State on forms furnished by the Fish and Wildlife Service.
    (b) This information shall be certified as accurate by the director
of the State fish and wildlife agency. When requested by the Director,
evidence used in determining accuracy of the certification shall also be
furnished.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/octqtr/50cfr80.10.htm

Offline njdiver

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »

KEN McDERMOTT

Vice President

Cape May/Cumberland County

Saltwater Sportsman's Alliance

Cape May Court House

A letter to the editor by you does not corroborate an unsubstantiated official statement by another organization.

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »

KEN McDERMOTT

Vice President

Cape May/Cumberland County

Saltwater Sportsman's Alliance

Cape May Court House

A letter to the editor by you does not corroborate an unsubstantiated official statement by another organization.

chrz hhppy slt whs

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »
NJDiver, You know or should know, editors of large news papers do not print oped articles or letters  without checking reference’s.
Now here is a question for you, Why do you think the NJ tax payer should fund the free saltwater registry?

Here is the link to the Letter :

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/68481-supports+fishing+license+new+jersey

About
The Sport Fish Restoration Program (SFR) provides grant funds to the states, the District of Columbia and insular areas fish and wildlife agencies for fishery projects, boating access and aquatic education. The Program is authorized by the Sport Fish Restoration Act (Dingell-Johnson DJ) of 1950.
The SFR Program was created to restore and better manage America's declining fishery resources and was modeled after the successful Wildlife Restoration Program. Through the purchases of fishing equipment, motorboat and small engine fuels and import duties the SFR Program is one of the most successful user pay, user benefit programs.
The SFR Program symbol may be downloaded and displayed by authorized users.
Learn more about Sport Fish Restoration Program accomplishments.
Source of Funds
Excise taxes on fishing equipment, motorboat and small engine fuels, import duties, and interest are collected and appropriated from the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund. These funds are apportioned to States and Territories based on a formula which includes land area, number of paid license holders, minimums and maximums.
Grants
States, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Insular Areas fish & wildlife agencies may apply for grants by contacting the specific WSFR Office or apply online at grants.gov.
Grant funds are disbursed to states for approved grants on a reimbursement basis for up to 75% of the project costs and insular areas up to 100% of the project costs.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:10:21 PM by Capt. Mac »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »
Gee Ben, you made my point even more clear. This fund is to benefit the user, as we are also the payer. No way should my payment into a boater's fuel federal tax be used by others. No way should my payment of federal taxes on the fishing tackle I purchase be used for others.

Get the damn money from that source before you charge me another damn fee.

Let's fix the real problem and use the money properly instead of having to pay even more money so our money is released to us. What a Pee poor plan that is.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline njdiver

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »
NJDiver, You know or should know, editors of large news papers do not print oped articles or letters  without checking reference’s.

They obviously did not look into your “facts”.  If they had they would no doubt have refused to publish your letter. 

Now here is a question for you, Why do you think the NJ tax payer should fund the free saltwater registry?

The NJ “taxpayer” includes all saltwater fishermen and spearos who’s discretionary moneys go into Trenton via sales taxes, fuel taxes and locally via hotel taxes and others.  That is what should be paying for the salaries, pensions and benefits of the employees and management of the NJMFB, not SRF moneys.  And certainly not in the ratio that exists now here in NJ.

You really should learn to clean up your copy and paste technique.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »

Ben, here's a question for you. Why should a 60 year old, who had no kids, or a newly wed couple with no kids be force to pay for someone's education? They are forced into it without a say. Don't start mixing apples and oranges. Stick to the subject at hand. Stop skating around the issue. Man up or get out.  smk

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
Man up or get out smk

whs

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »
NJDiver, You know or should know, editors of large news papers do not print oped articles or letters  without checking reference’s.

They obviously did not look into your “facts”.  If they had they would no doubt have refused to publish your letter. 

The NJ “taxpayer” includes all saltwater fishermen and spearos who’s discretionary moneys go into Trenton via sales taxes, fuel taxes and locally via hotel taxes and others.  That is what should be paying for the salaries, pensions and benefits of the employees and management of the NJMFB, not SRF moneys.  And certainly not in the ratio that exists now here in NJ.

You really should learn to clean up your copy and paste technique.
NJDiver, I agree that would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately that has never been the case here in NJ. Considering the dire financial situation NJ is in today, it will never happen in our life time. A saltwater license is the only way  we can ensure the funds are in place not only to enhance NJ saltwater fishing but for the basic  mandatory federal requirements  to keep the seasons open. Free plays well for politicians, it is the kiss of death for NJ saltwater fishermen

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »
A saltwater license is the only way  we can ensure the funds are in place not only to enhance NJ saltwater fishing but for the basic  mandatory federal requirements  to keep the seasons open. Free plays well for politicians, it is the kiss of death for NJ saltwater fishermen

Actually, you Mac, are the one who's killing me and everyone else here.

You keep wanting to pour money into a poor system. That won't fix a thing. FIX THE SYSTEM and you won't need to pay any more to fish. We have so much money invested with our government by the way of taxes on our fishing equipment they don't need one more penny.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:31 PM »

NJDiver, I agree that would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately that has never been the case here in NJ. Considering the dire financial situation NJ is in today, it will never happen in our life time. A saltwater license is the only way  we can ensure the funds are in place not only to enhance NJ saltwater fishing but for the basic  mandatory federal requirements  to keep the seasons open. Free plays well for politicians, it is the kiss of death for NJ saltwater fishermen

Then you better start with a NJ Constitutional Amendment to protect the license fees, as that is the only sure way that will prevent the Administration from siphoning the fees into the General Fund.  As SFR will only start using the statistics from the previous years funding from a new license, if Trenton siphons the funds right from the start they will not be blamed for the MFB not receiving the small addition the license fees would have given them.  Let alone the General Fund Appropriation for the MFB that will suddenly disappear in the next budget bill.  New York did it, what makes you think Trenton won’t?

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »

....Unfortunately that has never been the case here in NJ. Considering the dire financial situation NJ is in today, it will never happen in our life time. A saltwater license is the only way  we can ensure the funds are in place not only to enhance NJ saltwater fishing but for the basic  mandatory federal requirements  to keep the seasons open.

OK, so let me get this straight. What you are saying is since they never have properly funded F&W and used the monies from saltwater anglers properly, that means your grand solution to the problem is to simply give them more money?

Because, of course, since the government hasn't done it right to date, and according to you "will not in our lifetime" then the obvious solution is to just give them more money because with THAT money they WILL do it right. Right?

What were we all thinking??? fcp

If we just gave them MORE money then everything will be alright! Silly me, the right thing to do is give up and like some sheeple just blindly continue to hand the government more and more money!!! That way, they'll know we are serious and they'll just simply start using it properly!!

Forget those silly fools who want to force the government to spend our tax dollars properly, what we really need to do in order to get things straightened out is GIVE THEM MORE MONEY!!
 rgmn rgmn

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »
TB, maybe, NJ will start paying the bills for surfers, skiers and birders as they pay taxes also.   

NJDIVER, maybe, this will help with your fear that saltwater license funds would be stolen. 
 A quote from: John F. Organ, Ph.D., CWB
Chief, Division of Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration
Adjunct Associate Professor of Wildlife Conservation, UMass Amherst
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Westgate Center Drive
Hadley, MA 01035
Federal regulations under 50 CFR Part 80 would apply to saltwater fishing license funds. These dollars would be provided the full protection of federal law, and could not be used for any purpose other than the fisheries work of NJ DFW. My office, and the OIG enforce these regulations - it is a big part of what we do. Over the past two years I have personally intervened in close to 20 attempts to divert license revenues or assetts acquired with those funds across the 18 agencies in our region that receive Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration dollars. We take this responsibility very seriously, and have, to date, prevented diversions.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
NJDIVER, maybe, this will help with your fear that saltwater license funds would be stolen. 
 A quote from: John F. Organ, Ph.D., CWB
Chief, Division of Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration
Adjunct Associate Professor of Wildlife Conservation, UMass Amherst
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Westgate Center Drive
Hadley, MA 01035
Federal regulations under 50 CFR Part 80 would apply to saltwater fishing license funds. These dollars would be provided the full protection of federal law, and could not be used for any purpose other than the fisheries work of NJ DFW. My office, and the OIG enforce these regulations - it is a big part of what we do. Over the past two years I have personally intervened in close to 20 attempts to divert license revenues or assetts acquired with those funds across the 18 agencies in our region that receive Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration dollars. We take this responsibility very seriously, and have, to date, prevented diversions.

I have no fear, I know they will.  Whitman did it, Schwarzenegger did it.  Both barely got their hands slapped.  Did you read the section of Title 50 I cited? 

Sec. 80.10  Hunting and fishing license certification.

(a) Information concerning the number of persons holding paid
licenses to hunt and the number of persons holding paid licenses to fish
for sport or recreation in the State in the preceding year shall be
furnished upon request of the Director by the fish and wildlife agency
of each State on forms furnished by the Fish and Wildlife Service.

There will be a year’s time before we can even apply for the additional funds from SFR with a new saltwater license, plenty of time for the Administration in Trenton to empty the fees for other apportionments.  Did he mention how many of the attempts prior to two years ago were successful, even after the threat of suspending SRF funds?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
TB, maybe, NJ will start paying the bills for surfers, skiers and birders as they pay taxes also.   

Ben, I don't know of any additional taxes these groups of people pay on products that they use. Fishermen pay a 10% federal tax on all of their tackle. I'll explain what that means...If a product was to have a selling price of $90, the feds will put a $9 tax on that item. Therefore, the shelf price will be $99 for that particular item. Oh, and don't forget the 7% sales tax that NJ adds to the $99 that you just paid. Yeah, you pay 7% additional tax on the $9 federal tax you just paid. What a country huh? Buy about $2000 in tackle, rods, reels, line, rigs, lures, etc and you have paid in excess of $200 in federal taxes alone. And I'd bet that most spend more that the $2000 I used in my illustration. I know I do.

The fed tax that we pay for our tackle is the money that should be made available for the fisherman. That money can be used instead of a fishing license/paid registry. Oh, I forgot. According to you the feds hold that money hostage for a $1 'profit' that the state must make on a license so they can release the money where it should go.

Your arguement with this does not hold water.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »

Irish Ayes, it is worse than you thought.  The $1.00 dollar "profit" referred to will only bring in a possible addition of 4% of the available SFR Apportionment.  Our SRF apportionment has dropped $148969.00 from last year and is projected to drop another $1,415,493.00 next year.

2007   $3,490,891.00
2008   $3,983,378.00
2009   $4,044,499.00
2010   $3.895,530.00

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/GrantPrograms/SFR/SFR_Funding.htm

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
IrishAyes, we would have our full share of the money, if we were in compliance with title 50, like it or not those are the rules.

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
Njdiver, Whitman did not steal license funds, DJ funds or any other funds from NJFW successful. The money was quickly returned. The law was enforced. Mater of fact, the hunting and fresh water fishing license fund has NEVER been stolen or spent on unrelated State expenses.  NJdiver, Your claim that the funds were stolen, is obviously not true. Governor Whitman like you NJDIVER, lacked a thorough understanding of Title 50, the federal law that protects hunting and fishing license funds.

NJDiver, Forty some states have a fishing license. We are in one of the worst recessions in history. Fact, Hunting and fishing license funds, DJ or Wildlife restoration funds are no being stolen, not here in NJ or any other state. If stealing hunting and fishing funds was as ease as you claim there would be a list of States that recently  raided the funds.  

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:51:09 PM by Capt. Mac »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
IrishAyes, we would have our full share of the money, if we were in compliance with title 50, like it or not those are the rules. 

Mac, if your car is not working properly and you are using excessive fuel do you just dump more money at the pumps or do you fix the problem that is causing your engine to suck fuel? I think you would FIX THE PROBLEM.

Well, That is what we should be doing here. Instead of dumping more money into licenses, etc we should FIX THE RULES!!!

Offline njdiver

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »

You are saying that Title 50 mandates a saltwater license?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:14:19 PM by njdiver »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-