Author Topic: winter surf fishing  (Read 23035 times)

Offline conedoggy

winter surf fishing
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
was thinking of driving to island beach state park to try some winter surf fishing this weekend. never did it, what is biting? what to use for bait? any clues would be appreciated...

Offline Noworries2009

Re: winter surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:43:44 AM »
If the purpose of coming to the beach is to catch fish,I wouldn't reccomend coming down. Waters are cold and bass activity has been non-existant for several weeks. If you want to come just for fresh air experience by all means do. Stop at Grumpy's for salted clams,he probably has some and is open !!! You never know  ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
It is the season for patience...  If you are really thinking of trying, the best bet would be salted clams.  With that said, it would be best to use small hooks in the 2/0 to 3/0 size in a hi-lo rig.  The reason for this is that the hold over fish in this cold water are very lethargic and their metabolism rate is slowed way down. They are looking for very small pieces so they won't have to expend to much energy in digestion.

To accommodate them use small pieces of bait, small hooks and be patient.

Good luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline conedoggy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
well, i am not sure my main reason i go to the beach is to catch fish ever... i just don't think i am very good at it..but i take the 3 hour trek whenever i can... i drove down yesterday evening . figured the snowstorm on the beach would be interesting. i arrived around 430 ish and the 3 bait shops i know of were closed...i had 2 or 3 jigs with me. i asked the man in the booth ( yes there was a man getting paid to sit there) if there were anyone catching fish... he said your joking right? i said not really.... he said your the only person here...wow, i love solitude ... well i walked around in the rain... it rained , no snow on island beach...for about 5 hours and jigged away.... no fish.. but i got 2 lungs full of fresh air ... and i love the beach at night....i hope some of you fella's can talk me into catching something this year.... i been trying... but im from pa.  so a little clueless....lol..... thanks for the tips... i appreciate all the help i can get....i usually try to stay and fish for about 20-24 hours... but the wind and driving rain took its toll....

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »
Nice night on the beach. I hope you were able to stay warm.

You will have several from here who will be willing to meet you at the beach to fish with. I can't think of anyone here who wouldn't help you with any questions.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
I put in probably 80-100 surf days most years and would gladly offer you whatever I can to make the trips to the beach more productive.  ;D

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
 Some years some small squirrel hake (spotted hake) show in the surf. Mostly a bycatch of guys bass fishing. The long cold snaps really shut down the bay and surf . In years of mild weather fair bass action can be had in Jan and Feb. In December  try 12ave pier( ibsp is on 24th) bayside. Small yozuri,bombers and finesses casted back to the beach in the shadow of the lights. The bass push the spearing right up to the sand. Most of the locals will be fishing the Mathis bridge so crowds are not a problem. In March  both 5th and 12ave  will give you an honest shot at short bass at night. Worms and floating  jig heads seem to work. Late March and April the bay bass start hitting plugs and big rubbers. Keep an eye on the reports . When keepers start to get weighed in around Seaside that time of year its a good bet they came from the Mathis Bridge. Most years the bay will
offer a better shot at bass and blues before the ocean bite heats up. You went surf fishing in January at night in  the rain :headscra: :headscra: . Looks like you got what it takes to be a good surf angler but you may want to conentrate your efforts when you will have a better chance at fish. I am sure plenty of the surf rats on here will be more than happy to give you  good info and tips. Good luck

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:11:55 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Welcome Aboard conedoggy, this time of year can be a very difficult one at best but not impossible.  I live in Toms River and have fished this area for over 50 years and it never ceases to amaze me how much life is out there.  I guess being so close to the action I do get spoiled but, I, like others, are never short on teaching others the ins and outs of the area's best fishing places.

One thing that I would suggest is to read up on as much information you can on the how to articles this site has to offer.  You will learn things like how to read the beach for its subtleties that form structure for fish to hide and or to stalk its prey.  You will also learn the type of rigs and bait to use in different times of the year, plus the run cycles of certain types of fish that inhabit this area.

If you need any further assistance there are many of us, me included, that would be glad to take you under our wing and show you the ropes of the area we call home.  Pa is not to far to travel in fact I know many surf rats that call it home and make the trip multiple time a week just to be able to fish this area.

The difference between you and them, they have learned to read the beach and know enough locals that have opened up and allowed them to fish the hot spots.  Once you have come and have fished and put your time in you will be surprised to see what treasures will open up in the way of knowledge.  One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give you is to just listen.  Listen to fishermen, listen to guys in the luncheonettes, listen to the B&T shop owners.  There is a wealth on knowledge out there as there is here.

I hope I have not scared you off but in fact given you hope that you will soon be catching fish this year.  One of the big days I look forward to if around Mothers Day,  Get ready for the blues to return.  By then after all your reading I feel that you will be catching fish with the best of them.

Again Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline conedoggy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
hey thanks for the info fella's ...learn something new every day i guess...i figured its the ocean, if ya fling a hook and a chunk of bait out, there has got to be a hungry fish out there somewhere...i got a few cabelas gift certificates for xmas .. can someone give me an idea on some proven tackle that may put me on the path to some fish...types of lures....  5hrug  ... i do almost all my fishing on island beach state park....i love the way that beach changes every time i am there.......thank you ..

Offline FishOn

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
hey thanks for the info fella's ...learn something new every day i guess...i figured its the ocean, if ya fling a hook and a chunk of bait out, there has got to be a hungry fish out there somewhere...i got a few cabelas gift certificates for xmas .. can someone give me an idea on some proven tackle that may put me on the path to some fish...types of lures....  5hrug  ... i do almost all my fishing on island beach state park....i love the way that beach changes every time i am there.......thank you ..

Bombers (dark or yellow or both), Cotton Cordel redfins, hopkins tins(all different size up to 2-3ounces) 4-6inch swim shads in white, some "needlefish type lures, some yellow or white pencil poppers, and oh yeh bombers! Dark colors in dark conditions...light colors in light conditions i.e. full moon or sunlight. You cant reel slow enough.  Start doing some research on tying up teaser's into your rig. Match the hatch. If you can catch largemouth bass in freshwater, the same tactics apply to stripers.  Just find the bait and match em up
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline FishOn

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
... i do almost all my fishing on island beach state park....i love the way that beach changes every time i am there.......thank you ..

You will learn to hate that! Just when you find a nice rip loaded with hungry bass, seemingly overnight the sands shift and the fish are somewhere else 5hrug
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »
 whs TT^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline conedoggy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
thanks again for the help guys... i want to try and get down there a little more often this year...prob is i usually go at odd times..i leave here around 11 p.m get there at 2 a.m then fish till 11 p.m .. on a tuesday or a wed. not many people do i see.

Offline conedoggy

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
if you were gonna go surf fishing tomorrow morning till wednesday morning jan. 26th and could only take one type of bait or lure. what would it be? i thinking bout a trip to the beach...my nerves are shot.. i need a break from humanity...lol

Offline conedoggy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
p.s. hear any weather reports..

Offline FishOn

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
if you were gonna go surf fishing tomorrow morning till wednesday morning jan. 26th and could only take one type of bait or lure. what would it be? i thinking bout a trip to the beach...my nerves are shot.. i need a break from humanity...lol

Does a fifth of vodka count as a bait or lure? You are goin to freeze out there for little reward fish wise.  Fly down to Key West Friday, fish all day Saturday, fly home Sunday and back to work Monday ;D

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
 whs

I give you an A for effort!  clp  chrz You wouldn't catch my ass anywhere near that beach in this weather!  Good luck to you!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline fish bucket

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
i would try small pieces of clam on small hooks for ling.
i may go to brigantine this week or next and thats what i will use.

Offline cfishigotu

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
Head South! t^

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
In the old days ling could be caught from the surf but the cut off was about 40 degrees water temp. Let's just say the ocean has been past that along the surf for awhile. Boats fishing for ling out of Point Pleasant and Brielle are fishing over 200 to find active fish. THe Norma K runs a 3-9PM boat on the weekends or the Gambler or maybe one of the Brielle boats for all day fishing. I like walking the beach especially if air temps get into the 30's.  ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-