Author Topic: North Wildwood back bay  (Read 14821 times)

Offline CelticManPhilaPA

• Full Member of the Den
  • My son fishing in the suds!
North Wildwood back bay
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »
My son and I should be taking a short stroll to the backback area of North Wildwood.

We won't be doing it via boat or kayak. Multiple places to wade out or fish from shore exist.

What should we be looking to attract and bait suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

My son and my Dad last weekend Apollo Beach, Manatee County, Florida ...

Novice fisherman from Philly / North Wildwood

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: North Wildwood back bay
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
look for bass in the back area try worms {sand/blood}or clams, around my area we are to cheap to buy worms and the clams have been working just fine.nice pics.

Offline CelticManPhilaPA

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:37:51 PM »
Will any of the bait stores on the island carry clams or do I buy them in a super market?

So, the focus should be on bass along the back bay? Is there a particular time of day that makes sense or is generally when the tide is coming or going?

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »
bait shop wi;; have them ,try to fish the outgoing this time of year the water will be warmer and give some life to the fish

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »
CelticMan, the info that has been given above is good info. I would stay away from worms, they are way too expensive. Clam is cheaper and will work just as well. The only thing I would add is to use a fish finder rig. As far as the size hook, you can probably use a 5/0. I personally like circle hooks but if you like, use a regular J hook. The local tackle shops can help you. Have fun, catch em up!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »
Hi CelticManPhilaPA,

Sorry I messed up your first post when we were starting the site up.

The bays and estuaries are a great place for you and your son to enjoy fishing.

I do not get down to fish by you as often as I would like. However, there are certain things that apply to all areas when fishing. In the next month or so, many species will begin the spawn. Right now, the Winter Flounder are spawning or have spawned. There is an article by Captain Anthony on this site that applies. Remember, you can chum anywhere you fish, even off a dock or the beach. Next will be the Stripers; weakfish; blues; Summer Flounder/fluke; and then the pelagics.

Why Stripers are a good target in the coming weeks in the back bays are that Stripers spawn in fresh water. They spawn in rocky areas in fresh water. So, any tributaries, creeks, rivers that lead into bays are targets. Couple this with the fact that the feeder water systems into the bays and estuaries warm quicker than the bay or ocean, and that is why folks are pointing to Stripers in the back bay.

Whatever fishing you are doing, look for an area that has water moving, and structure, maybe even some nice little wave action. When you walk the area, look for shells, especially mussels or clams that have washed up. Another good sign is if you see stranded baitfish on the beach (usually in the morning before the birds clean them up).

If it is flat calm and no structure (pilings or rocks or such) around, you are probably in the wrong place. Docks are great places to start as they attract bait. Docks that are lighted at night are deadly for weakfish and snappers.

So, if you decide to target Spring Stripers, what to look for, as most have said, is an area that has some warmer water (outgoing (ebb) tide from a creek with a dark bottom); some sort of restriction or structure; water that moves or an area that has waves crashing to stir the water and bottom; and clams on a fishfinder rig or a soft bait like a shad to throw.

The whole key this time of year is water temperature. While stripers have a pretty good tolerance to cold, they don't feed actively in waters much colder than 50 degrees (roughly).

If you are near a power plant, the outflow water from those (such as Oyster Creek) are deadly pretty all Winter).

I know that we are throwing a lot out at once, but give me a call if you feel overwhelmed (732-859-1212).

BTW, the same areas that produce for Stripers will shortly produce weakfish as well.

For weakfish, I use plastics. The time honored Finesse in pink (1/4 - 3/4 oz. probably in your area but may vary).

You and your son will have a shot at blues in May or so. I use metal lures.

When the snappers are around (probably mid-July/August), there are a number of ways to watch them. I always like a bobber with a spearing. It is sporting as they can steal bait pretty well.

So, in the near term, the stripers and Winter Flounder are your best bets. You will then have shots at weakfish and blues, probably in that order.

There are so many ways, techniques and baits to talk about. We probably should have a thread for each different species as we get closer to the season.

You live near some of the best fishing locations on the east coast. The folks on this site should be able to push you to the fish.

Please bear with me a bit as I don't fish North Wildwood but I have fished a similar type of area (Barnegat Bay) for over 40 years.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:16:02 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline CelticManPhilaPA

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
Captain Ed, sorry for the slow response. I have been off-line with work.

Thanks you so much for the feedback.

I am heading down there for Easter but I would imagine that sub 50 water tempts are not ideal for fishing.

That being said, can I get appropriate rod & gear at a place like Dick's Sporting Goods. There is one near me by the Willow Grove Mall.

Also, do you have rod recommendations? My son is 10 and about 75 pounds - if that has anything to do with it.

Joe

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »
Hi Joe,

I sent you a PM.

I assume that a spinning outfit will do the trcik. You will be able to use it in the backbay, throw some plugs in the ocean and even use it on a boat.

I suggest a Shimano Stradic 4000 on a 7 ft. Ugly Stik or St. Croix rod. I will put the manufacturers numbers up later.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline CelticManPhilaPA

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »
Captain Ed, are the rod suggestions just for the back bay? Is there a separate rod suggestion for the surf?

Also, do I need sinkers for the surf - if so how many ounces?

For the back bay no sinkers necessary?

Joe

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
Excellent advise Capt. Ed,

That 7' rod combo should do nicely in the short suds in the surf where so many people neglect to fish.  I fly fish the beach a lot or use to and it would amaze me that there are so many fish in so close.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:44:31 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »
I love the animation C.H.  Did you do it or found it on line either way thanks for the laugh... ;D ;D ;D
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
I love the animation C.H.  Did you do it or found it on line either way thanks for the laugh... ;D ;D ;D
found it on photo bucket  ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
Thanks... :D
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 03:39:00 AM »
Hi Celtic,

If you buy a good reel like a Stradic, you can use it for many applications.

You can use it for bait/throwing lures in the back bay; use it to throw plugs in the ocean; and use it for fluking off a boat or even snagging bunker.

If you are going to use it more in the ocean, I suggest a Shimano Baitrunner 3500. It may overmatch some fish in the bay but it will work for the most applications.

I suggest you look into Ugly Stiks. You can get one for light dyut in the bay and a beefier one for the surf.

The goal, if on a budget, would be to get one reel for many applications with 2 rods to match the location.

I would love totalk to you about this on the phone. I am in California until April 19. I then travel to France and Brazil for a few days ... after that I will be fishing hard in NJ.

My number is 732-859-1212. It would be a pleasure to discuss your needs. I also invite you to come fishing with me and you can try the gear before you make a purchase.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-