Author Topic: More Straight Talk on Registry  (Read 2177 times)

Offline apmaurosr

More Straight Talk on Registry
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
More Straight Talk on the Registry

Q. I read that you recently discovered that the free saltwater registry could take a year to implement because it was written as a regulation and that it might need to go through a lengthy review process. Why didn’t you catch it sooner?

A. Firstly, the free registry bill is not one that was created by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance (CF). We had no involvement or say in the bill. Like thousands of other bills, this one was dormant.

Approximately one month ago the public learned that the Senate Environment and Energy Committee would hear the free registry bill. I personally attended the hearing with a list of questions related to the cost of the free registry. The NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) wanted to know where the funds would come from to pay for its implementation and management.

On December 9, 2010 the Senate Environment and Energy Committee heard the bill and this was the first opportunity for public comment in the Senate. However, a vote was taken by the committee before the public was allowed to ask questions or make comments. You can listen to the entire proceedings at the following link & click on "Listen" to the right of December 9, 2010:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/archive_audio2.asp?KEY=SEN&SESSION=2010

Since we didn’t have the opportunity to ask questions, and since we knew that the funding for the free registry wasn’t addressed in the bill, we decided to look at the bill more thoroughly. We have former state employees and a former Fish & Game Council member that are part of the volunteer staff at the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF).

We discovered that the bill was written as a regulation and might be subject to an Executive Order that would require a review process and delay implementation of the registry. We then contacted the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and learned that our concerns were warranted. The DEP seemed very much aware that the bill was written as a regulation and we got the impression that they were making every effort to ensure there is no delay in implementing the registry.

I’d like to point out that it is the responsibility of those that are involved with the bill to perform due diligence in order for it to be written properly. Again, the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) is not responsible for writing the bill. In fact, it is our position that a $2.00 administrative fee is needed to cover the $600,000 in projected costs.

In our opinion a $2.00 administrative fee is a more responsible approach to managing the registry given a weakened Bureau of Marine Fisheries (BMF) and a $10.7 billion budget deficit faced by the state of New Jersey.

Keep in mind that all three of the NJ Outdoor Alliance organizations are 100% volunteer and our efforts are targeted to New Jersey. We don’t have a full-time staff to monitor every bill. In addition to fishing we are involved in areas that include hunting, trapping, diving, and others that involve the health of our forests and waters.

Q. Does that mean you want to defeat the bill?

A. Although the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) believes that the free saltwater registry will take funds from the very program(s) that benefit recreational anglers we have not suggested that that the bill be defeated.

Instead, we are making the angling community fully aware of the realities of the bill so that they can make an informed decision. We are asking that as people contact the Governor’s office to support the bill that they also state they don’t want the money to pay for the registry to come from the programs that provide for their own fishing enjoyment.

Most of us know that the state of New Jersey receives in excess of $50 million in various taxes levied on anglers. Therefore, we are recommending that people remind the Governor’s office of this fact as they ask for a free registry. If not, we may end up paying for the free registry ourselves.

Q. Some people seem very upset with you for putting facts out for public consumption. Why do you continue to do it?

A. Our natural resources belong to everyone, not just a handful of squeaky wheels. All of us are stewards of our natural resources and in order for us to care for them responsibly we must be informed so that we can make the best decision.

It seems to me that most people want to do the right things for the right reasons. The NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) will continue to make timely details available as soon as we learn of them so that people will be informed.

To hear only one side of a debate is not only short sighted but can leave us susceptible to being indoctrinated with propaganda. Such naivety can lead us to unknowingly be used as pawns to advance an agenda we actually might be opposed to had we known all of the facts.

The matter of the free saltwater registry is a decision for all fishermen and fisherwomen to decide. That’s why we continue to publish information.

As I mentioned, the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) has recommended that if you support the bill then also consider telling the Governor that you don’t want to have the funds to pay for the free saltwater registry come from accounts that can compromise the integrity of our natural resources. It would be foolish for us to shift money from one pocket to another pocket so that we can boast of a meaningless accomplishment.

The current condition of the BMF is dismal and its budget is paltry

Q. You post on a forum but don’t return to read replies. Why is that?

A. There are a couple of reasons. Firstly, the purpose of my threads is to put information into the hands of the public. I am not advocating for the bill since the position of the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) is to support a $2.00 administrative fee.

However, the only bill on the Governor’s desk is for a free registry and we are not making any movement to defeat the bill. Like everyone, we want a saltwater registry in place as soon as possible. If there is a chance for a free saltwater registry to be funded from outside of the DEP or that doesn’t cannibalize monies from natural resource management we will likely be for it since our immediate funding concerns will be addressed.

It is up to the angling community to weigh the value of the information provided. Also, as a volunteer and one who runs his own business, I can’t go to every internet forum and debate the merits of every argument. That’s for forum members to do.

Those interested in contacting the Governor’s office can do so by calling 1-609-292-6000

Anthony P Mauro Sr
Chair
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Conservation Foundation
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Environmental Projects

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
Re: More Straight Talk on Registry
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
Another conversation with himself.

Straight talk my ASS! You have not tried to defeat the bill?

First off, you have not tried to SUPPORT the bill! Being negative on the topic is getting old Anthony, as witnessed by the vast majority of the responses to your "Q&A" sessions as well as the NJOA press releases.

Second, a call to Assemblyman Scott Rumana's office (he was an original sponsor of the Assembly Registry bill and voted for it the first time) as to why he removed his name as a sponsor AND voted AGAINST the bill this last time revealed that he both voted AGAINST the bill the second time around AND sent a letter to the governor asking him to VETO the bill based on conversations with (as a result of calls FROM) the NJOA.

Is he lying or are you Anthony?

Now we know why you do not respond on websites. You post your propaganda, ask for money for the NJOA at the end of your press release (when it is an NJOA press release) and then disappear.

NJOA has NEVER publicly supported the free registry and has LOBBIED AGAINST IT in private, period.

NJOA HAS ONLY PRODUCED NEGATIVE PUBLICITY ON THE BILL in the guise of "straight talk" and has NEVER published a release supporting the bill IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!

FIVE DIFFERENT GROUPS left the NJOA "talks" on funding the division before they were done (I was one of them by the way) as a direct result of it being a license/fee based discussion for a registry, period. We saw it for the joke it was and wasted n more of our time with it.

Let's look at some of the other points you have made in your Q&A. You and NJOA have pooh poohed a license plate and lottery to raise funds. Now the Federation, which sits on the board of NJOA, sent a joint letter with ENSP to the Governor asking him not to sign the bill.

According to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), the Endangered and Nongame Species Program's (ENSP) mission is to “actively conserve New Jersey's biological diversity by maintaining and enhancing endangered, threatened and nongame wildlife populations within healthy, functioning ecosystems.”  The ENSP is responsible for the protection and management of nearly 500 wildlife species found in the Garden State, including the 73 species currently listed as endangered or threatened. The program is funded almost entirely by donations from the sale of Conserve Wildlife License Plates, grants and the state income tax check-off, as well as support from the Conserve Wildlife Foundation.

Learn more at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensphome.htm

And be sure to check out the Conserve Wildlife Foundation’s trustees at http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/about/trustees/

I'll ask again what I asked elsewhere, is NJOA lobbying for anglers in Trenton or lobbying Anglers FOR Trenton?

Are you talking down a license plate and tax checkoff (both of which have been proposed and were discussed at the NJOA license love fests I attended) because they are no good or perhaps because they would compete with the ENSP funds?

Why do you seem to run away from anything that the Division has not put its seal of approval on Anthony? Does the fact that more than one inland game species group raises funds through the same means suggested (by almost everyone but NJOA and the groups that make up its Board) be the reason NJOA does not support ANY of those options?

Not publicly speaking against something does NOT mean you publicly support something. To steal the line from Rush, "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."

More to follow. SInce I am talking to myself because ANthony does not see fit to respond (I am a volunteer too and do not get paid ONE DIME for the work I do on behalf of SSFFF, United Boatmen or any other organization) I'll keep you guys up to date with the TRUTH, and I will actually respond to questions too ::)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:34:04 PM by CaptTB »

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
In keeping with the tradition of carrying on a conversation with oneself pioneered by Anthony Mauro, I'll give what is likely his response even though he won't  >:D

"We never told him not to vote for it, we only told him all the things we think are wrong with the bill and talked about all of our concerns."

"But we really left it up to him, he made that decision. We never said don't vote for this bill that we don't like and has lots of problems and we have never supported and where will the money come from and we hope this won't and we are concerned about and we...."

You get the point. ::)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
Oh great, another hit and run thread.  fcp

This thread should be titled More Talking Out Of The Corner Of My Mouth...

Approximately one month ago the public learned that the Senate Environment and Energy Committee would hear the free registry bill. I personally attended the hearing with a list of questions related to the cost of the free registry. The NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) wanted to know where the funds would come from to pay for its implementation and management.

I attended this meeting also. If you were paying attention at the meeting you would have heard Senator Van Drew address that issue. One of the very reasons that the committee voted to continue it as being free.

On December 9, 2010 the Senate Environment and Energy Committee heard the bill and this was the first opportunity for public comment in the Senate. However, a vote was taken by the committee before the public was allowed to ask questions or make comments. You can listen to the entire proceedings at the following link & click on "Listen" to the right of December 9, 2010:

Could this burning desire to speak up not have been done prior to the senate hearing, such as, at the original assembly hearing?
And let's not forget, it was the committee chairman who did not allow public comment and he was against a free registry.

Q. Does that mean you want to defeat the bill?

A. Although the NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) believes that the free saltwater registry will take funds from the very program(s) that benefit recreational anglers we have not suggested that that the bill be defeated.

Instead, we are making the angling community fully aware of the realities of the bill so that they can make an informed decision.

Take funds from the very important programs that benefit recreational anglers? What would they be? I don't recall ANY programs the State of New Jersey does for the saltwater angler. Perhaps you can enlighten us on that one.  5hrug

MUCH MORE TO FOLLOW...
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
Q. Some people seem very upset with you for putting facts out for public consumption. Why do you continue to do it?

No one here gets upset over facts. We only want to make sure that what we read are indeed facts. To date, you have not backed up any of your statements. Not answering questions make your statements hard to believe as being true.

To hear only one side of a debate is not only short sighted but can leave us susceptible to being indoctrinated with propaganda. Such naivety can lead us to unknowingly be used as pawns to advance an agenda we actually might be opposed to had we known all of the facts.

Gee Anthony, perhaps you should follow your own teachings here. People are asking you things about what you post and you ignore them. Sounds like you are only interested in one side of a debate, your's and your's alone.

It seems to me that most people want to do the right things for the right reasons. The NJ Outdoor Alliance (CF) will continue to make timely details available as soon as we learn of them so that people will be informed.

Please do not make timely details here unless and until you can provide their accuracy. Without that, your opinions are meaningless.

The current condition of the BMF is dismal and its budget is paltry

ABSOLUTELY!!! AND THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE FIGHTING!!! UNTIL THIS IS FIXED WE CAN THROW TONS OF MONEY INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT.  rgmn rgmn rgmn

It is up to the angling community to weigh the value of the information provided. Also, as a volunteer and one who runs his own business, I can’t go to every internet forum and debate the merits of every argument. That’s for forum members to do.

Hmmmmmm, are you saying you are not a forum member? By the mere fact that you post here makes you a member, whether you like it or not. If you do not want to be considered a member we have ways to make that happen. Just say the word.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-