Author Topic: 1st keeper bass weighed in  (Read 9721 times)

Offline tautog73

Re: 1st keeper bass weighed in
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
This is a good debate TT.

Genetics? I'm not sure I can agree with that. Any bass given the opprotunity will grow to be a cow. Taking into account the study below. Do you agree or disagree with it. What would you propose the size and quanity limits be?

Depending in the size of the female, one female can lay from 14,000 (3 pounder)-3,000,000 eggs (10 pounder). A thirty-pound female is capable of producing as many as five million eggs.  While Older fish produce more eggs these eggs are less viable and fish of this size are less abundant in numbers. Therefore on average the age 4-7 striped bass provide more eggs to the spawn percentage wise but produce less eggs. The point of the matter is less fish make it to the super breeder age due to human and predatory influence. Therefore there are far fewer to make up the breeding population.

edit: also, anything you noticed about the fish in the pic? anyone?

Any bass will not reach the same size given the same opportunity.  Some bass have the genetic make-up to grow larger than others.  Some bass will never get any bigger than 30lbs before they die of old age while others will grow to record sizes.  Moreover, if we stopped killing all fish over say 36", those fish would increase in numbers and thus produce increasing amounts of eggs and offspring.

Offline tautog73

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Eye facing us looks very cloudy possibly blind in that eye, or maybe post-mortem discoloration.

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
wow, this is like a hunting site. someone getting critisized for keeping a legal fish. I believe, if so many of us think it's wrong, then we should work to change the fishing laws. I do believe the slaughter in the spring is just crazy. help me out here, I thought it was ok to keep some smaller fish, but realease the big ones. I do want to be a member of the 50 lb catch and release club, currently only a member of the 30 lb club.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
okay TT you passed  ;D it's good to debate / get other people's opinions t^

i will research the genetics thing but you do make sense.

So do you think a slot limit on striped bass is needed?

Good eye (no pun intended). The fish could've been blind in that eye it looks a bit cloudy for a fresh fish

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
wow, this is like a hunting site. someone getting critisized for keeping a legal fish. I believe, if so many of us think it's wrong, then we should work to change the fishing laws. I do believe the slaughter in the spring is just crazy. help me out here, I thought it was ok to keep some smaller fish, but realease the big ones. I do want to be a member of the 50 lb catch and release club, currently only a member of the 30 lb club.

Catch much, release most, keep some for the table  t^ IMO

Offline Kevin

• Sponsor
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
Oh girls stop fighting. Thats awesome the fish are back.. Just uncovered my boat and planning on a couple of trips in the bays to find something.

Offline tautog73

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
I would like a slot limit for a lot of fish like Florida.  Though I'm admittedly worried the slot might get too narrow over time.  The snook slot started at 24"-34" which was good, but it got a bit tough at 26"-34."  Now due to last year's freeze it is 28"-32" and one worries that it may not be liberalized once the population fully rebounds.  That is the problem with asking for size and bag limits to be tightened up, you usually get screwed in the end.  As for the fish eye, sometimes melting fresh water ice in the bottom of a cooler can cause discoloration.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:48:52 PM by tautog73 »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:58 PM »
 Im happy the Stripers are around!!  Lets catch them and do what you please with them. TT^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
Well put Eddie.Won't be long we'll be fishing "The Wall". t^

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
Great fish. As long as it wasn't wasted, I am happy he kept it. It has been a hard winter with lots of snow. Time to fish.
Play Time is Over.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
I hear he caught it just after midnight.  Picture is in the late morning I'm guessing.  That might have given the eye a bit of time to cloud up?  5hrug
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline fishingfever

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
Cool I wasnt expecting bass till late march!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-