Author Topic: Fluke regulations will be set on Thursday - APP Article  (Read 2749 times)

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Fluke regulations will be set on Thursday - APP Article
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
http://www.app.com/article/20110405/NJSPORTS06/110405029/Fluke-regulations-will-set-Thursday?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|p

Written by - John Oswald

Size, season and bag limits for New Jersey's 2011 recreational summer flounder season will be set this Thursday at the New Jersey Fishery Management Council meeting in Absecon. The meeting is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Galloway Township Public Library, 306 E. Jimmie Leeds Road and is open to the public.

More relaxed regulations are expected this year as the Mid Atlantic Fishery Management Council approved a 33 percent increase in total allowable catch for summer flounder for the 2011 season. Anglers across the state can thank, in large part, the work done by the Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund for funding research that demonstrated that summer flounder stocks were not in the dire shape fishery managers had portrayed.

The question will be just how liberal will the regulations be.

There will be four options up for consideration this Thursday. All provide for a more relaxed season than 2010, which allowed for six fish at 18 inches and a season that ran from May 29 to Sept. 6, a total of 101 days.

Option one allows eight fish at 18 inches and a season from May 14 to Sept. 18, for a total of 128 days. Option two allows eight fish at 18 inches and a season from May 7 to Sept. 25, for a total of 142 days. Option three offers one fish greater than or equal to 17• inches and five fish greater than or equal to 18 inches with a season from May 21 to Sept. 5, for a total of 108 days of fishing. The final option offers one fish at greater than or equal to 17 inches and five fish greater than or equal to 18 inches. The season for this option would be from May 28 to August 28 for a total of 93 days.

Those interested in expressing their opinion on the 2011 summer flounder season should attend Thursday's meeting and have their voices heard. For directions, visit the Galloway Township Public Library website.

Whichever option in selected, it's gratifying to know the needle is moving in the right direction when it comes to allowing recreational anglers a little more access to a favorite fishery.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Fluke regulations will be set on Thursday - APP Article
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
 t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
I have been to the meetings the past two years. Very enlightening as to how things work. I can't make this one, wish I could. If you do go you will be able to be a part of the process.

BTW, I'm hoping for option #2.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Harrys Army Navy

• Sponsor
  • Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
Today is the day!

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »
I'm hoping for option #2 as well Joe t^
Got my fingers crossed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
I can't make this one but hopefully others here can.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »
Fingers crossed for 2
 <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-