Author Topic: Canvas tops 2  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Baitwaster

Canvas tops 2
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
I been trying to waterproof my canvas top for like three seasons now, I've paid as much as $120 to watch the water bead away from my helm and all the $$ invested in my equp.I did a little research online and found that That 303 stuff is overpriced!!! It did work pretty good though, I read that if you mix 1/3 turpentine with 2/3 soybean oil it will work just fine!!! I opted to try Thompson's Water seal. They have a new product out that is water based so after soaking the top with it...this is where the funny kicks in! I put it in our dryer. You know if it's raining and your working on the boat there's no time to wait 12 hrs. 5hrug I took it out and water ran away from it like it was on a 500 degree hot plate! The test of time will tell. If nothing else at least the old lady's uniform will be waterproof!!!

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Canvas tops 2
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:04 AM »
I use that overpriced 303 stuff. Let us know periodically how the Thompson's is holding up.  t^  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »
My local Ace hardware can order a gallon of 303 for $49. West Marine wanted $100+ There's no markup on that eh? :headscra: So far it held up pretty good, the water doesn't bead off but it doesn't leak either.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
I bought a gallon of the Pure Oceans waterproofer to try from WM. Was about $45 couple years back. This is the second full year, still beading nicely. My top takes a beating from the sh!tgulls in the slip but so far so good. Still have at least another application left, maybe 2.

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:29 AM »
Some really heavy rain past few days and...Still dry! And it kinda softened it up like when you put snowseal on work boots. I did shrink the cover though, Tip of the day... DON'T GET IN A HURRY AND PUT IT IN THE DRYER ON HOT!!! fcp Now I need visegrips to snap it on! Wet Lines.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-