Author Topic: RFA-NJ UPDATES ON SEA BASS, FUNDRAISING & FINES  (Read 2373 times)

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
RFA-NJ UPDATES ON SEA BASS, FUNDRAISING & FINES
« on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
Recreational Fishing Alliance (NJ)
For Immediate Release
May 24, 2011     

New Jersey Legislation To Revise Angler Fines Moves Forward

The Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee, Chaired by District 1 Assemblyman Nelson Albano, unanimously passed out of Committee yesterday a bill (A4063) which would provide a revised penalty schedule for failure to comply with New Jersey's saltwater registry regulations.  As presently implemented, the fine schedule calls for a first offense penalty in a range of $300 to $3,000, with subsequent offenses subject to fines of up to $5,000.

A4063 would revise the penalties for those failing to comply from a warning up to a $20 fine.  It also allows for reciprocity with other states registry programs.

"District 1 legislators are once again demonstrating their strong support of New Jersey's recreational fishermen," said Capt. Adam Nowalsky, chairman of the Recreational Fishing Alliance's New Jersey chapter (RFA-NJ).  "We praise the DEP for the ease of registering with the new system, and we look forward to a revision of the current fine structure," he added.

In testifying in favor of the bill, Nowalsky stated that it was important that the fine structure be addressed as quickly as possible as the state moves into the prime tourism season in the state.  "If one angler is deterred from coming to New Jersey by the threat of a significant fine for not being registered, that is lost revenue the state cannot afford," said Nowalsky.

RFA and RFA-NJ were the only recreational fishing groups on hand to testify on behalf of the bill and wanted to thank all the members of the Committee for unanimously supporting the bill.  Next up will be a hearing of S2880, the companion Senate bill sponsored by Jeff Van Drew and James Beach, to be heard by the Senate Environment and Energy Committee.

Saltwater anglers fishing in New Jersey coastal waters who've not already registered to fish in marine waters are encouraged to visit www.saltwaterregistry.nj.gov today.

The much debated recreational sea bass season is scheduled to open this coming Saturday, May 28.  Last year's opening day was May 22, but because of requirements that coastal states cut back on their sea bass harvest, the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council (Council) voted to change the opening of the season.  The final regulations approved by the Council was an open season from May 28 until September 11, reopening again from November 1to December 31 with a 25 fish bag limit and 12-1/2-inch minimum size.

"The regulations will not go into effect until signed off on by the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection," said RFA-NJ Chairman, Capt. Adam Nowalsky.  "The Bureau of Marine Fisheries prepared the regulations for approval the day after they were approved by the Council, but the Commissioner is yet to act.  We have, however, received assurances from Deputy Chief of Staff & Legislative Liaison Dave Glass that the regulations will be signed this week."

A similar setback occurred earlier this season with regard to a change in the summer flounder regulations, leading RFA-NJ to spearhead a campaign in conjunction with both state and federal legislators to ensure the summer flounder season opened on its appointed date of May 7.  "We are prepared to launch the same campaign again, if necessary, for black sea bass," said Nowalsky.

Speaking of sea bass, the RFA-NJ chapter will be the beneficiary of another fishing trip on Friday, July 22.  The Fluke/Sea Bass Fish-A-Thon will be held aboard the Voyager sailing from Point Pleasant Beach from 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.  The cost of $85 for adults and $45 for younger fishermen aged 13 and under includes boat fare, crew tip, food and beverage.

"I would like to personally thank everyone that made the last striped bass fishing trip a huge success, especially Dave Daly, Capt. Ron Santee, NJFishing.com and everyone else that donated to the trip and came out to support RFA-NJ," said Capt. Nowalsky.  Funds donated to RFA-NJ are used to support recreational fishing in the state of NJ for lobbying efforts, scientific research and support of chapter activities.

To learn more about the RFA-NJ chapter, visit www.joinrfanj.org.

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: RFA-NJ UPDATES ON SEA BASS, FUNDRAISING & FINES
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
As usual, RFA on top of things.  slt

It seems the DEP is looking at this registry as more of a license with the fines they want to impose on those who are not registered. And meaning the ONLY purpose of this registry is to gather the information for the feds, there is no reason why someone registered/licensed in another state that the feds accept must register in NJ.  nts Reciprocity with other states would be a good thing.  t^

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
The fact that Sea Bass Regs have not been signed is what has me worried.  I have been calling every day once in the AM and once in the PM.  Sea Bass is to open this Sat.  He got three days to sign them. 

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
The fact that Sea Bass Regs have not been signed is what has me worried.  I have been calling every day once in the AM and once in the PM.  Sea Bass is to open this Sat.  He got three days to sign them. 

Seems like everything is last minute with the politicians with anything that pertains to fishing. 5hrug

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »
It is not Politicians is it the DEP....  But yes they like to wait to the last second to do things.   slt

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:38:37 PM »
My bad...but politicians usuall fit into the same category.  ;D

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:58 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-