Author Topic: First Time Surf Fisher  (Read 26024 times)

Offline RayDog26

First Time Surf Fisher
« on: June 11, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
So i am new to this type of fishing and i have some gear for it but i am not sure about any good locations. can some one steer me in the right direction on where the good spots are right now ?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: First Time Surf Fisher
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Where are you coming from and how far are you willing to travel?  Your question is a wide open one, please narrow it down so the guys can have a better idea where to point you.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline FishOn

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
So i am new to this type of fishing and i have some gear for it but i am not sure about any good locations. can some one steer me in the right direction on where the good spots are right now ?

I'm not sure many will give you exact locations on where to go, especially over an Internet site where unknown numbers of people will read and flock to the area. Best bet is read the stickies about finding the right types of structure and reading the beach then go scout out some spots. Fish have tails and move alot especially this time of year. If I told you to go to asbury park cause I had a bite today doesn't mean you will have any luck there tomorrow. You will learn much more and much faster by spending time on the water than spending time reading about someone elses time on the water. Fluke are up and down any beach, and bass and bluefish blitzes can occur anytime on any beach this time of year. Watch the weather, tides, scout out some fishy looking water and fish. Keep a log and put it to use for the rest of your fishing days
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Very Well Said Fishon t^  Welcome to the site Ray..  These guys will get you a great head start t^

Offline RayDog26

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the quick responses. I am 10 mines from philly on the NJ side. so my travel area is pretty open. i willing to go about 1h 30m or so. I figured if there was good spots they are prolly secret and i wouldn't wanna ruin that. but maybe some general good areas that are well known. I was told about 1 mile out on Long beach island was a good spot or the bays down in cape may. but i haven't been able to find any current reports if people are catching on the surf.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »
There are few secret spots in jersey, but loose lips sink ships extremely fast in this state. Island beach state park is no secret and has nearly 10 miles of fishable beach.  The soft structure of the beach seemingly changes daily so being there is half of the work.  I don't fish lbi by land so can't help you there but I can say that if you have access, take a look and if it looks good give it a try. There is plenty of action going on in the surf. Look for good water. If bait is present and the water looks good you can bet the species you seek are in the area ( or will be at any given tide or other set of conditions). 
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline FishOn

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:47 AM »
And by good water I mean clean green and mean with visible cuts and holes in the sand bars. Reading the beach takes first hand experience. If possible you may want to hire a surf guide to help shorten the learning curve. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
Fishing the Jersey Coast can be a bit trying for any new comer, but not impossible.  I am sure you have heard this before but you have to put your time in and learn where and how to fish.  I am fortunate to live in Toms River and grew up fishing what I think is on of the best water to fish.  Plus the areas to gain access is very easy with tons of areas to park.  The only problem this time of year is access with out a badge from the local towns.  As long as there are lifeguards fishing is not allowed.  But like FishOn said Island Beach State Park is your best bet.  With tons of people from Pa making the trip says a lot.

With many Bait & Tackle in this area and all are willing to share where and what to use to fish at that time.  I rely a lot on these guys as what areas to hit first.  Right now this time of year is a great time to start as there are stripers and blues all over the place.  You might not catch right off the bat but you have to start somewhere.

IBSP will cost you 6 bucks with easy access and parking all over the island with short walks over the dunes through trails that are plainly marked.

I wish you luck.  Just remember it takes time to learn to fish the surf but the best advice is to latch onto a good B&T and use them.  You will be amazed at the info a little patriotism goes a long way.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
There are few secret spots in jersey, but loose lips sink ships extremely fast in this state. 

couldn't of said that one better myself
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:00:46 PM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline zaprunner

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »
Ive been in the surf since I was a kid, did a lot more roaming when I was a kid w/ my Dad cause he would get 4wd permits for everywhere they were available... I currently stick to Brigantine, you pay $175 for a 4wd permit you get all you can out of it :P The local tackle shop has always given me good tips/advice. It does get crowded there during the runs. The Jetty has always been very hit/miss for me. For me its about consistency, Ill put a lot of time in working one area or another and it will become productive. With all the replenishment its hard to read. Areas on the North End I always knew to be fishable are uncastable now... Its beating a dead horse but you just have to put your time in... good luck! happy fishing!
NJBBA member #4994, NJ2AS (NJ second amendment society) member, NRA Member

Offline Ace sinker

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »
Get out there and pound the sand.. You will find great people out there willing to help you out.

Offline jregan23

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
all the input is a real help to a beginner thanks everyone!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-