Author Topic: Reel Time Tuna  (Read 2652 times)

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
Reel Time Tuna
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
Thursday 3am Capt. Mike and I met up with Capt. Joe and Johnny Oz at Reel Time. We loaded her up and set out for Chicken canyon. Ocean was snotty and the closer we got the worse it got. 8'-12' and a few 16' walls...biggest I've seen ever. Our spreader bars were being flipped over, the fish box loaded down with 500 pounds of ice got up on 2 legs and almost flipped. It was crazy so after awhile we switched to jigs and chunks. The seas did lay down and Capt Joe reeled in the first BFT. We finished the day with 2 BFT and 1 YFT.
bluefish were all over, big gator blues destroying gear, this was a problem for the whole fleet. Many switched over to snarling but heard no reports. Many who stuck it out were rewarded with tuna.
When we first got to the area big whales were all around playing in the high seas! The water was a deep dark blue and clean 75 degrees.
Great job and teamwork by the crew and good times as always.

I tried a new app called map my tracks, it's free and worked great but drained my phone in just under 3 hours. It will actually play back your whole trip in real time and show how many knots you were going at that time. As well it has graphs of your speed and elevation. It shows a 13' spike, I assume that was what I thought to be the 16' wave lol!
www.mapmytracks.com/luger
Just make sure if you add the app to go in settings and switch to miles.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Reel Time Tuna
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
8' to 12'  thud  Better you than me fcp

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
 whs ;D

Great job guys!  Nice catch! t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
Nice report Bob, Like Rod said better you then me with those rollers. Tuna steaks for the weekend t^ WHeres the pics  :headscra: 
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
The guys that were in the 18' Boston Whaler CC are better than me!! I've always liked rough seas but while under power, fishing in it sucks. I've never seen it as big as yesterday though. Waves picking us up and dropping us in another spot and taking spreader bars and tossing one 6' over the other. Just glad it layer down after that and was nice all day.

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »
We never had the chance to get many pics, I think Johnny got a short video of Joe fighting his BFT and a few pics back at the dock.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-