Author Topic: NJ Fishing Locations , Mantoloking Bridge  (Read 191134 times)

Offline surfrocket

Re: NJ Fishing Locations , Mantoloking Bridge
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »
our trip tonight was fun and interesting.no weekies,but croakers,croakers,croakers. i brought only ultra light tackel, and had fun with small blues. saw alot of people catching croakers though on small clam and worm bits. crabbing was great, we only had 6 keepers, forgot the pantyhose, lol. saw again though alot of big crabbs caught. saw one guy with a monster. i'm telling you this thing was the entire bottom of the bucket. my daughter was working our net and we will say it was just fun to watch. she did good though i must say. after the sun went down using a spot light we say many keepers floating by, just out of reach for our net. as the tide came to slack they were few and far between. little itty bitty ones. there was a bunch of familys out there having a great time as we did.JUST ONE THING PEOPLE..... TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU. I spent about 20mins picking up peoples trash. There are trash cans out there use them...... o yeah bring bug spray.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
Im gunna try to get down there sometime this week. Ill be in Lavallette for a week. Im leaving tomorrow morning.  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time.  Nothing better than a night out with your child and having fun!!

Thanks for the report...maybe I will have to give it a try.  I would love to take my son out crabbing, but he is still young and has the attention span of about 5 minutes at best.  He loves fishing, but lasts for about 5 casts and then is off running around!  Is the dock that runs alongside the bridge have railings??  That may be a bit easier?!  5hrug

Maybe I will just bring one drop line and the net.  That way when he is done I can quick cleanup and "walk" around with him.  I know he will love crabbing....he just loves running around too!

Thanks

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »
yeah my daughter is 4, i know all about the attention span. and no there is no railing, the bulk head is up about a foot or so though. the pier has a railing, too high for a drop line.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »
Ohhhhh yeah!!  Crabbing might be a dad and mom trip with my son.  Maybe on a day we can find someone to watch our 2 month old.  My son has no fear and will go right in the water.  He thinks the bay, inlet, ocean, etc...are a big pool and that he can jump right in(the only downfall to getting him so used to and comfortable with water already)!  When he stands on the wall at the Inlet, I have to hold onto him tight.

Thanks for the info...much appreciated!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
As far as the night crabbing use a good bright adjustable spot light find the big ones and keep the light right in front of them moving the beam ever so closer to you and before you know it it will be in your net.

Did it all the time as a kid in Seaside Park growing up.  Pretty Cool... t^

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »
no problem, thats what this place is about. we will be doing another night on ibsp in a few weeks your more than welcome to join us kids included. will post it up in surf form soon.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it!

cfzd

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
yeah we were doing that tonight paul works great.i never really fished there in the day time, i saw that channel you spoke of, looks great. hey by the way there is a large hole in the fence just before the bridge, a woman crashed threw it last week just missing the marinas fuel pumps.i guess she needed gas.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »
Wow, that would really have messed things up around there.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
i was told its real chopsy there today,but i think i am still gonna head out in a bit. drop my comercial traps under the bridge for some crabbys,and see if i can get some snappers and croakers on ultra light tackel. feelin a lil lazy today, but dying to fish. i will let ya's know.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 03:23:05 AM »
nice night out there, no wind. there was alot of people on the pier. people crabbing under and around the bridge. no fish................ not even a bite,i threw everything i had at them. there was bunker there,stacked thick at times too. nothing hitting on them. it wasnt just me either, there was about 10 dudes livelining peanuts,no fish for them either. i did manage to catch someones lost drop line and red two door crab trap,both were keepers. if anyone on here lost them hit me up and i can return them,lol. have to say there are some big crabs there, was watching them swim around under the pier.

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 03:36:13 AM »
I have never been crabbin at night. I am gonna have to give this thing a shot!!
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
Were there still people crabbing off of the fishing pier when you got there??  I was there around 5pm or so and the crabbing bulkhead was packed and the pier was dead.  It is just quite a drop off the pier to crab effectively...BUT there were 2 guys with bigger size traps, around 5 each, and lots of line.  They were doing real well.  Nice bunch of crabs they had!!

What time were you fishing....I noticed everything stopped in the bay last night right as it got dark...no crabs and no fish!  The crabs were devouring bunker from 6:30-8:45 and then like magic...they were gone.  Even throwbacks.  Not one bite!

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
i got out there around 10:00 and stayed until about 2am. there wasnt anyone crabbing from the pier but everywhere else.even when i left there was still people crabbing.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
i will be heading out to the bridge later on this afternoon,weather permitting. i'm taking my daughter and "x" crabbing and bait fishing.i am going to set them up with blood worms,see what happens. mabey i will run into some of you there. post report tonight.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
I was there teh 23rd and 24th. 23rd was way too rough didnt catch anything. the 24th was better, i was using sprearing for fluke but kept getting snapper blues. Either I would catch one in the 6-8" range or get half the spearing back. There were a lot of crab caught while I was down there.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
mabey i will try that would like to get some snappers for rocket shots for friday night. thanks

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 11:23:37 AM »
yeah that is a good size i can launch those things way out there,lol.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-