Author Topic: NJ Fishing Locations , Mantoloking Bridge  (Read 191147 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: NJ Fishing Locations , Mantoloking Bridge
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2008, 11:18:38 PM »
yeah that is a good size i can launch those things way out there,lol.

Too funny!!   hhppy

I usually get snappers on small kastmasters or something I refer to as a "Spearing Rig."  Anyone else heard of these or ever used one???  No one I ever talk to knows what I am talking about.  I used them when I was younger and can't even find them locally.  They work great when the small snappers are stealing bait.  I am attaching a pic of one I found from a wholesaler online.  It is basically an inline spinner with an additional piece of wire that you slide through the spearing and out the back of the bait.  A double hook keeps the spearing on the wire.  Very effective!!

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
I fished the bridge from 7:00 until 9:30 and got skunked. Tons of people crabbing with some pretty nice sized crabs. I fish there about once a week and all i've got from the beginning of the season is one snapper. The only thing i've seen come over the sides has been one kingfish. I don't really know why i keep coming back here other than the convenience. I started using a castmaster until i trapped a few killies. I later switched to a 1/4 topwater plug. Not one bite. Any pointers?
Z

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 11:35:52 PM »
Not one bite. Any pointers?

What are you looking to catch??  Anything that will bite?  Snappers? Weakfish?

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
I realize the weakfish haven't really moved in yet, but i put baits out to entice just about anything. Recently i've used fishbites, live killies, and gulp strips cut 2-3" on a #4 hook. I'm using light tackle (shimano 7' 1/4-3/4, shimano sahara 4000, maxima 8# line) Yesterday I tried targeting weakfish but i'm just looking to set a hook into something other than the crab that came off the piling to snatch my killie.
Z

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »
I WILL BE GIVING THE SHARKS A REST TODAY AND BE HEADEING OUT THIS AFTERNOON TO THE BRIDGE. TAKING MY LITTLE GIRL OUT CRABBING. HOPEFULLY SHE GET GET ME SOME DINNER. IF ANYONE IS OUT THERE TODAY AND YOU SEE ME MAKE SURE YOU SAY HI.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 10:29:23 AM »
I realize the weakfish haven't really moved in yet, but i put baits out to entice just about anything. Recently i've used fishbites, live killies, and gulp strips cut 2-3" on a #4 hook. I'm using light tackle (shimano 7' 1/4-3/4, shimano sahara 4000, maxima 8# line) Yesterday I tried targeting weakfish but i'm just looking to set a hook into something other than the crab that came off the piling to snatch my killie.

Sorry, somehow I missed your reply.  As far as lures for snappers and blues, kastmasters or small silver lures work great.  So do spearing rigs if you can find them anywhere.  Weakfish, the key seems to be any plastic bait in PINK.  Fin-S in 4" or 5" or Gulp Pink Swimming Mullet on an appropriate weight jig head.  Also gulp shrimp.  If you read these articles, it should give all the info you need for weakfish.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=7770.0

There is really no definite answer for bait.  You just need to give them all a shot or read reports to see what it really catching fish.  Everything you mentioned sounds good.  I have never used fishbites, but have heard good about it.  I am not much of a bait user, so I tend to go with lures and plastics 99% of the time.

Hope this helped a bit!?

Good Luck!!

TT^ 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
I WILL BE GIVING THE SHARKS A REST TODAY AND BE HEADEING OUT THIS AFTERNOON TO THE BRIDGE. TAKING MY LITTLE GIRL OUT CRABBING. HOPEFULLY SHE GET GET ME SOME DINNER. IF ANYONE IS OUT THERE TODAY AND YOU SEE ME MAKE SURE YOU SAY HI.

Good luck and ENJOY!!  May the shore tourists leave you room and not drive you crazy!!

TT^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
I just keep moving if that first lot is full. It gets pretty packed in there but most people crabbing tend to favor the north side.

When you guys talk about the marina channel on the south side, how are you guys reaching? I've thrown close to 1 oz. on my medium rod and only hit the end of the pilings coming towards the bulkhead.  The area usually has a a south wind making it even harder to reach.
Z

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »
I've given up on the parking lot along the road and just head to the marina parking.  It's usualy full anyway.  And it's easier and safer to pull in and out of the marina. 

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
Last time i pulled into the lot at the marina and some guy working there gave me a hard time about parking there . Told me to be out by 9 but hung out til about 10.  On my way out i noticed a sign saying parking from dawn to dusk only  5hrug
Z

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
just returned home a lil bit ago. what a night at the bridge. people everywhere,omg the place was packed. i actually had to break up a fight that was happening in the street between to moterists. first made the 911 call, then broke up the fight. i came real close to slamming this drunk dude myself. he was all drunk, started on a couple in there car. then it got ugly. the drunk dude layed out the boyfriend and then started on the girl, i couldnt let it go. the cops came the drunk was arrested the boyfriend was taken by ambulance, and we ended up with 14 keepers. i'm tired and going to eat. talk more soon

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »
Nice catch!!  Never fails...always end up doing something besides fishing while your out!

TT^

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 03:30:46 AM »
went out to the bridge tonight.tons of bait everywhere.tide was out,and water was pretty calm. tried my luck with plastics,nodda.threw my whole bag of tricks at them. pink fin-s. pink fin-s wanna a be gulp,storm shads in every size down to the two inch ones. nothing. my good buddy rick paddled over and gave me some blood worms. he was out in the yak.  fish on.... short sea bass,croakers,oyster crackers,ect. bait stole the show for me tonight. they were all small fish,but it was fun on ultra light tackel.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:09 AM »
Sweet nice going.  I tried the surf this morning at Ortley just Sea Robing but the strange thing I caught it on a top water plug.    5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline RKLindner

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
New to saltwater fishing..  I too was at the bridge early evening and caught a fish like yours in the 2nd image (044).  What is that one?  Can't seem to find a picture online that matches (though I haven't tried that hard yet either).

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
The second picture is that of a sea bass. Minimum size is 12" to keep. Can keep 25 per day. Excellent table fare.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline RKLindner

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
The second picture is that of a sea bass. Minimum size is 12" to keep. Can keep 25 per day. Excellent table fare.  t^
Thank you.. I have been trying to compare with the pics from the may guide showing the different saltwater fish but it doesn't look the same with the stripes..

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
Nice catch!

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
Hey Rk..  Welcome to the site. t^

Offline RKLindner

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Hey Rk..  Welcome to the site. t^
Thank you Hotrod for the welcome.  Been looking through a lot of sites trying to find out "how to fish" or at least ideas how to catch fish and came across this one.  I live down the road from the bridge and have had limited success there.  Hopefully that changes as time (and experience) progress.  One day I hope to do surf fishing from Brick 1 or 3.. next step in my education

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-