Author Topic: Lower unit  (Read 8971 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Lower unit
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
 Replaced water pump no problem. Putting lower unit back on gets within 3/8 of an inch and thats it. Shift shaft is lined up, drive shaft too. I don't want to pull it in with the bolts. Thinking the shift shaft got out of alignement if thats possible. I have done this before with no problem.
Any help would be appreciated!!  :headscra:

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Lower unit
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »
Maybe the shaft has to be rotated a bit to seat in the gear a little more. Although I'm no expert
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
I do mine in neutral. This way the driveshaft is not likely to turn when you inadvertently hit the prop, cutting your hand. If the LU or the shift shaft come out of neutral before the LU goes back on then it's a problem.

don't use the bolts to pull it in; make sure the pin is in place correctly, the splines on the driveshaft are clean but lightly greased, then try rotating the driveshaft slightly to align splines while raising the LU. If not, figure out the mismatch between the LU gear and the shift shaft and fix that.

Should slide in with honeymoon fit.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:54:22 PM by wb »

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »
I am pretty sure its the shift shaft but but how to get  lined up again?? Maybe if I shift back in fourth from neutral to forward or reverse it would do something??  5hrug

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-