Author Topic: Bluefish  (Read 3977 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Bluefish
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
Anyone have any good bluefish cooking tips or recipes? The last time I tried to eat one was as a kid my mom baked one in the oven. It stunk up the whole house and I never tried one again. I'm thinking of giving old yellow eyes another shot.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Bluefish
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
Fillet the fish, leaveing the Skin on. You will need a Piece of Apple Board (A thin Plank from an Apple Tree) Soak the wood in water. Lay the fillets on the plank Skin side down. Season the fillets by coating with Mayo, Fresh Lemon, Garlic, Light Salt and Pepper. Lay the plank on the grill  medium heat. Close the lid when the plank starts to smoke and or char around the edge the fish is done. Remove the plank with the fish from the grill. Throw the Fillets Outside for a Cat and Start eating the Board!  hhppy rofla
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:10:39 PM by Pops Soul »
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »
when i lived in VA a little asian woman brought some homemade bluefish dip on the pier one time....man i have searched high and low to make her exact dip it was amazing
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
PS- HAHA...maybe I'll stick to fluke.

A few days ago Cock Robin posted a pic of bluefish filets on FB that were iced in a cooler vs filets that were in a burlap bag and the iced filets looked white and good...that's what got me thinking. Thanks CR.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:34:10 AM by bassnblues »

Offline Axehandle

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
I take bf fillets rub them with mayonnaise  know it sounds bad but,,,, then I soak them in store bought Italian dressing.  I let them marinate for several hours.  I cook them out side on a grill - I put them in aluminum foil, cut up onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and if I have been crabbing a bunch of crab meat. Some folks add some white wine.   I cook them about 15-20 mins and everyone who usually say - "NOT BLUEFISH!!!" comes back for seconds.
I FISH therefore I am.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »
I was never a fan of eating blues.  Catching them, yes.   ;D

Only bluefish I liked was when it was smoked.  A friend of mine soaks the fillets in milk first and it gets rid of any bad taste he says.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
Go to the recipe forum, scroll down to my bluefish cakes recipe, give them a try most people who tried them did not like bluefish but enjoyed these. Good eats.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
I have had it to where it wasn't to bad but the smaller Blues seem to cook better, doing them fresh really helped. Limit the fridge time to as short as you can.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
try making bluefish tidbits or fingers,  Need small and unfreezed fillets, Try some wasabi mustard, Panko breadcrumbs, hot oil cooked. And a nice dip.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-