Author Topic: Avalon Fishing Report  (Read 212365 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Avalon Fishing Report
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
gregman,

can i go fishing with you when i get there this july. i have not fished in the jersey shore for more than 10 years. see i ended up moving here to toronto, ontario on a company transfer. i grew up in north jersey but settled down in ventnor, eht area in the mid 80's to 2000. i tried fresh water fishing here and it was hard at first as fresh water fish are kinda smart especially pike, trout, salmon and muskies. so i am raring to go fishing when i get there.

dave

Cool Dave!!  Welcome to the site t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
Welcome Aboard Dave,  I am sure once you get to be on here more you will become educated where to fish, with what and when.  Good luck to you and welcome back to the states.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24:39 AM »
Welcome  t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 10:40:41 PM »
Dave
Sorry, I didn't notice your post. I've been pretty busy. I'll be glad to show you around to some of my spots. Keep in mind, I'm no expert but I do like to fish. Only been out once this year but it was a good night. So that makes my average 1000 right? Why mess with perfection. Keep me posted when you'll be around and we'll go lose some lures together! t^
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
greg

i'll pm you when i get there in july. maybe i should bring some good canadian beer? btw beer here has more alcohol content than our beer i think about 5.5-6%. yeah the first time i drank some, it only took 3 bottles for me to get a buzz unlike drink our beer which took me 5 or 6 bottles to get a buzz.

dave

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
 TT^

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 02:33:12 AM »
Let me know if you guys are getting together, I would love to tag along. I am always looking for some good spots and good company to get the lines wet!  grtn
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
hey seanr8w,

i'd like to check out the longport/oc fishing pier too. btw what time is the best time to fish there?

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »
So far as I can tell, Slack on the incoming. However, I plan to check it out at different times as the weakies start running. I am thinking about hitting up the longport Jetty early tomorrow morning since the fluke were biting there when I went out on th "Fish 'n' Fun last weekend.
Steven Wright

Offline seabo

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »
 slt

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie and this is my first post, I'm really happy to see Cape May county represented!  Please keep the Avalon fishing report going!

I fish Avalon too and spent much of Friday morning on the water.  There was a lot of fluke still around and boated 8 -- all shorts!  Two would have been legal last year at 17".  One last drift through a deep hole produced a striper on a shedder.  I was fishing the north channel just north of Paddy's Hole on the outgoing tide.  Sorry no pics, forgot the camera.  I won't let that happen again.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Seabo, welcome to the site. Nice report. Keep them coming.

We are a friendly crew here. Any questions, ask away. Anything you can add, please do so.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
Welcome to the site Seabo...keep the reports coming in...we need as many as we can get from down south here!
Steven Wright

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »
Welcome seabo. Please feel free to add to the thread anything that may be useful, profound, or witty. Sounds like you were on the water. Myself, I'm land locked. Usually at the 8th St. Jetty though. One of my "Info Guys" has been riding me for not getting out in the early morning. THAT WILL CHANGE THIS WEEK, I PROMISE. I'm getting me some bunker and I'm hitting the jetty bright and early! Reports from the jetty last week were lots of kingfish and skates. And apparently there have been a rash of monster stripers that can't be pulled up on the jetty before they jump off the hook!!!! One guy told me "That SOB had to be 40"".  ::) I'll check back next weekend. slt

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 08:24:57 AM »
hey guys, I also fish the avalon/sea isle area and will try to contribute to this section as much as I can.  I was out friday, saturday, and sunday this weekend fishing back by Townsend sound.

Had my cousin and uncle out on friday A.M. and we hoooked 25 fluke to 17 inches everyone had a good time even without catching any keepers. 

Saturday had me out with my mother, aunt and my neighbor Cheryl.  Ended up with 23 fluke to 17.5 inches.  Tons of fun and laughs, especially since some of them don't like to bait their own hooks and are afraid to touch any fish. 

Saturday P.M. had another cousin and a couple of friends out, winds kicked up and we could only find 4 fluke to 15 inches. 

Sunday my father finally got away from work to wet a line and one of my cousins joined us.  we caught 5 fluke to 16.5 inches before the wave runners and skiers got to be too much. 

All in all, it was a lot of fun but just couldn't find anything to put in the cooler.  For bait we tried just about everything, minnows, spearing, squid, mackeral, bucktails, gulp, etc...

i'll be back out every friday, saturday and sunday, weather permitting for the rest of the summer and will try to post reports every monday a.m

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Sounds like a fun weekend. Keep the reports coming. Hopefully that cooler will start filling up soon as these fish get bigger and better!!!  t^
Steven Wright

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2008, 11:02:20 PM »
Welcome eagleaye. Let's take time now for a "Don't it just forkin' figger". Remember when I proclaimed to get me some bait and hit the Jetty bright and early? From the house I'm working at on 9th St. I watched the crew set up all the pipes for the beach replenishment on 8th St in Avalon. I didn't think much of it other than I'm going to have to jump over that thing to get out to the point. I head over to the Hodge Podge to chat and get some clam. I ask Tammie how she thinks the dredging will affect the fishing. Tammie is as knowledgable as you could want your tackle shop owner to be. She is always eager to give advice and knows what's been happening around the Island. So she tells me with all the sand they're pumping, that the bait fish will leave/die off around the jetty and fishing there could be stymied for a while. This stinks because I now work one block away from the jetty. So I leave thinking maybe I got a little time-a day or two- before they start. NOPE! Showed up the next morning full tilt boogie on the pumps. I could have spent more quality time fishing without running all over the state of New Jersey. I was also told that the tales of large stripers were true. They weighed quite few monsters from from the jetty. So it just freakin figures that the day I decide to hit the jetty full bore, the Army Corps of Engineers stops me in my tracks. Reports are they should be done by the 4th of July and i guess it will take a couple of weeks(???) for things to get back to normal. I'm told by a friend that Stone Harbor point is producing very well if not better. The only problem is...that's at 123rd St. They also have a crew working on the bridge on Avalon Blvd that I usually hit. But I think they have the access roads blocked off so getting under there is a problem too. The one house I used too fish behind has gone to settlement so that's out too. What, oh what shall I do ?!?!?!?!

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:01 AM »
Gregman, I don't know if this helps but I've heard that they are catching stripers and blues at corson's inlet at sunrise and at night

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip Eagleaye,  but I'm thinking that's up in Ocean City. I'm trying to stay in Avalon/Stone Harbor. I still see the 8th St jetty jammed everyday but I don't notice anybody catching much. Your times match up with what I hear in Avalon. I'm also told outgoing tide is good too. My wife and kids are coming down to stay with me at work this week and I'd like to take them out fishing. It's gonna have to be productive though. At least for my wife. ;D

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
didn't make it out this weekend due to engine trouble.  I was at Gibsons B&T in SIC on sunday when a guy brought in a huge flounder to be weighed.  It tipped the scales at 8.06 LBS. and was caught at the TI reef on a mackeral strip/squid strip combo.  Hopefully I'll be back out next weekend and can find a fish like that one.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
Just a FYI guys the dusk and dawn thing really works especially this time of year.  1 1/2 hours either side is the magic hour so to speak.

Give it a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-