Author Topic: Avalon Fishing Report  (Read 212697 times)

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
Re: Avalon Fishing Report
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
Went out from 6:00-9:00 on friday night 8/1.  Found a large school of bunker next to the Avalon Yacht club.  I didn't have a weighted treble for snagging with me so I threw plugs, bucktails, and Storm shads along the edges of the school and hooked nada.  I did see some crazy operators out at TI. One guy cut off the Miss Avalon party boat.  Ran right in front of her, maybe 25 ft at WOT.  Don't know what some people are thinking.

Saturday stayed in and hid from the thunderstorms in the A.M.  After lunch, took my brother and sister-in-law and their dog out to the sandbar inside TI for some fun in the sun.  Sunday was a wash and wax the boat day. 

I got some of those Boa rigs and will give them a shot this weekend with some whole squid. and will post the results next week.

Avalon is notorious for it's drivers-both land and sea. I think "Little Johnny" comes down to daddy's house and takes his boat out with no clue of how to operate it. Of course dad could be a real @#$%^&* too. Got back from vacation today. Didn't get rods out-extended family is having issues and it kind of took over my week. I did get out on the Starlight for dolphin watching. Very successful. It was everyone's first time for this. Kids loved it. Capt Chris let all the kids "drive" the boat for a bit. Very cool. I didn't want to do the party boat thing. We need to get some private charters on here for down here in the south. I'm hearing all this talk about squid. Can I use it off the jetty? Would much rather use that than clam or bunker.
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
Gregman, I agree it's crazy out there some days. 

Only got to fish on Saturday this weekend.  Drifted outside of TI from the bell buoy south to Avalon.  Tried the boa rig with a whole squid.  No takers.  I'm pretty sure that I rigged it right. I held it a couple feet below the surface and the bait wasn't spinning there.  I'll give it another shot next week.

We did catch some short fluke and ling on minnows in 36-45 feet.  I even caught a couple short fluke on some bunker chunks that we dropped down in case the stripers were around. Bunker were all over outside of the inlet.

Water temp was 72-74 degrees on the surface but it must still be cold down below if we're catching ling, right?

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Got out fishing yesterday(went crabbing on Saturday).  Started out drifting inside of TI near the Avalon Yacht club.  Pulled 4 fluke to 16 inches on plain minnows before boat traffic got too bad(including 2 avalon police boats and 1 NJSP boat). 

Headed out the inlet and found about 40 boats fishing.  Marked a lot of fish but nobody was catching anything.  We caught 1 skate.

Headed down in front of avalon and picked a few ling in 40 feet.  Heard reports of blues working in close to the beach in Strathmere. 

Got back to the dock at 2:30 and found a guy cleaning 6 keepers that he caught on the OC reef.  Looks like the keepers are further out than I thought. 

Gonna try and get at least one trip in each day this friday, saturday and sunday if the weather looks OK.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »
Nice report!  Good luck thi coming weekend!!

TT^

Offline EAGLE AYE

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »
Had a b-day party to attend on Friday afternoon, so I didn't get out until Sat. morning.

Inlet and ocean were too rough to fish in my 20', so my uncle, who is prone to sea sickness, and I fished inside of the TI bridge to Avalon Point.  Managed to pull some shorts to 17 incheson the incoming along with some small sea bass.

Sunday fished with my dad, mom, and brother.  Mom is prone to chum in snotty seas so we fished in the same spot as Saturday.  10 minutes into the first drift, up comes a nice 18.5 inch, 2LB 10oz fluke.  First keeper in 2 months!  Caught by Mom, of course.  Finished out the incoming pulling shorts to 16.5 inches and tons of 6-8 inch sea bass.  Fluke would hit minnows but they really liked mackeral chunks. 

Looks like it's going to be a tough end of the season with east winds blowing every day this week according to the weather man.

I'm off Friday and hope to be out friday - monday

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »
Nice report!!

TT^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »
t^

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
great report t^

Offline clamhead

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
Hey Eagle,
South Jersey does have a few ppl on the forum. I'm up here in Margate (Absecon Island). I think maybe we're the only ones here from the south. Not to sure  ;) I went out last week with no luck and everyone that I spoke to had the same results. I'll be heading out to Longport Jetty, in coming tide, some time this week. I'm told, sand eel, bunker and clam are working well. Kings, small Striper, ect.  rgmn

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »
Good report!

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »
Hey Eagle,
South Jersey does have a few ppl on the forum. I'm up here in Margate (Absecon Island). I think maybe we're the only ones here from the south. Not to sure  ;) I went out last week with no luck and everyone that I spoke to had the same results. I'll be heading out to Longport Jetty, in coming tide, some time this week. I'm told, sand eel, bunker and clam are working well. Kings, small Striper, ect.  rgmn

Sounds like you guys need to be handing out our Cards t^

Pm me if you would like to t^

Offline MarshHawk

• Full Member of the Den
  • argh
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
I'm the 3rd member who lives in the better half of the state.  I fished Brigantine Wednesday Night.  Water was real clear, wind building out of the south. It was incoming tide that the full moon put into over drive.  Walking out to the jetty tip was a question of your life or catching a fish....catching the fish always wins!!  Any way fished the beach from the north end down to the jetty. I caught 1 25" striper on a danny plug.  A lot of bait in the surf. Mullet are still running and I had seen a gull with a sand eel squirming in its' mouth.  007 worked well at the governors tourney Sunday but produced nothing for me.  Those ubiquitous little blue fish seemed to disappear Wednesday as no one on the beach seemed to be catching. 
1 on a lure = 10 on bait

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
Thanks MArsh.. This is a hot topic.. I'll re-sticky it.. it's been dead for a while t^

Tahnks For the report

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Nice report Jerry! t^ 

Next time, when you're out on the end of the jetty, on the slippery rocks, in a hard south wind, as you unhook a squirming striper, with the ocean about to swallow you up, take a picture for us! ;)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »
Nice report and catch!

TT^

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »
How great it is to see someone reporting on Brigantine!!! Sounds like a good day for ya. I just moved to Brigantine and I look forward to alot of Surf Fishin this year... Do you fish this area often? I will look forward to seeing your reports!
I'm the 3rd member who lives in the better half of the state.  I fished Brigantine Wednesday Night.  Water was real clear, wind building out of the south. It was incoming tide that the full moon put into over drive.  Walking out to the jetty tip was a question of your life or catching a fish....catching the fish always wins!!  Any way fished the beach from the north end down to the jetty. I caught 1 25" striper on a danny plug.  A lot of bait in the surf. Mullet are still running and I had seen a gull with a sand eel squirming in its' mouth.  007 worked well at the governors tourney Sunday but produced nothing for me.  Those ubiquitous little blue fish seemed to disappear Wednesday as no one on the beach seemed to be catching. 
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline MarshHawk

• Full Member of the Den
  • argh
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2009, 11:20:39 PM »
I fish there a lot in the spring and fall and back on great bay during the summer.  I am usually out at least once a week but will fish a lot more often during the fall and spring as it is easier to fish the surf without all the boat clean up.  Do you drive the beach?  I am out there with a black Xterra with a cooler rack. 
1 on a lure = 10 on bait

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
Yessir. I am out there as often as possible and will be out there alot this fall I am sure! I am driving a tannish gold 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Got the NJSFW sticker on the back window! Stop by sometime if you see me. Or give me a shout when you aree going out. Call or text 856-673-6930. Look forward to meeting you sometime!  chrz
I fish there a lot in the spring and fall and back on great bay during the summer.  I am usually out at least once a week but will fish a lot more often during the fall and spring as it is easier to fish the surf without all the boat clean up.  Do you drive the beach?  I am out there with a black Xterra with a cooler rack. 
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm still lurking about. Didn't get much fishing done in the last year-had alot of issues that needed attention. Among them my grandfather passed away this fall. He was the one that got me fishing as a wee tot. It was cancer and he's home where he belongs now. No doubt he's catching the big ones now. RIP Pop. One question I have is-are you now supposed to get a license to fish saltwater in Jersey? One of the guys at work was telling me about it the other day. Apparently there's a website to get one free. Anybody know about it? Wrong forum, I know, but it's been a while.
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Hey Greg.  Nice to hear from you again.  So sorry to hear about your grandfather. 

Look here on our front page www.njswf.com and there is a tab to walk you through getting your registration Card.

Again. nice to hear from you.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-