Author Topic: Avalon Fishing Report  (Read 212370 times)

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
Avalon Fishing Report
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
So it seems like I'm one of few in the lower portion of the state on this here forum. I'm thinking of starting an Avalon Fishing Report thread and posting my goings on, funny stories, and general bits of sometimes useless info. Would it be well received? I guess I could have just started it without all this, huh?

Last night on the 8th St Jetty ( from here out refered to as "the jetty") Imust have caought a school of small blues just as the tide started to move in. I caught about 6 - hooking 2 in the side as I was reeling - and put them all back. I know it wasn't the same fish 6 times because I caought them on the inlet side and released on the beach side. The hit everything. Bubblegum sparkle Fin-s, spoon, white shad swimmers (I forget them product name-Tsunamis?) I even pulled a Rat-l-trap out and caught on that. I had to, they were eating the tails off my soft bodies. The guy behind me didn't see me catch one fish but his wife, who I think was forced to be there, did. He didn't catch anything and he was changing lures every two casts. At one point he looks at me and says "Man, it's a tough night tonight ain't it?" I just laughed as his wife rolled her eyes and went back to being bored sensless. He was fishing the beach side and the funny thing was, you could see the fish rolling on the surface gorging themselves on baitfish. THOSE fish wouldn't take anything! I would've helped the guy out, but everytime I came over to that side he kept crowding me like I was on HIS jetty. I made sure to keep about 15' between us but I guess he still wasn't happy. It was a good night and for once I got to walk off the jetty with my head a little higher and a bit more spring in my step. I'm going on vacation next week so I won't be able to add anything after this weekend. Hopefully I have some good stories from Wildwood. I'm taking my boy for a few firsts this year-saltwater fishing, on a boat, maybe I'll find a jetty in WW, maybe I'll take him to 8th St in Avalon. Until next time, may your lines be tight and your coolers full!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:34:22 PM by Hotrod »
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Avalon fishing report
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »
Good report Gregman.  Always nice to hear from our southern brothers.

Keep the reports coming. 

You are right, most people here are from the north but do get down south and fish at times.  When that happens, we can use all the help we can get.    TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »
Nicer report grge and god luck in Wildwood next week.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
Nice report Greg.

Yea  that would be cool,  Just keep adding to this same topic.  MAybe a nice picture at the top post.  This will also index well in google and bring others looking for Avalon fishing reports

We will be moving to that one day anyway.. and I like doing it for the little egg area also..

We are indeed lacking south.  but it will come.  word of mouth is or friend TT^

Moved to reports.  and Sticky'd ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Avalon Fishing Report
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:55:41 PM »
nice report
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
Guess it was well received. ;D I'll figure out how to post a pic someday.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »
Hi Greg,

When you look at the post page look at the lower leftcorner you will see in blue "Additional Options", click on thet and you will see a Browse button click that and look for the file your pictures are in and click the picture you want to add and BINGO it appears in the box.  You can add up to 4 pictures.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:38:10 PM »
Guess it was well received. ;D I'll figure out how to post a pic someday.

just hit additional options, then browse your pc.

or hit the pic icon(bottom row 2nd in) and add the link in the middle of it TT^

Offline twin lights

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 10:51:22 PM »
nice report, thanks

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 10:52:02 PM »
Got it, thanks. I'll get some good ones and post 'em later. t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 10:52:36 PM »
SHOW OFF hehehe

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Angler Systems

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
Nice report  t^

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:35:57 PM »
Well I'm home. Had a great vacation dispite the fact that the things that finally got me to not hate going to Wildwood are slowly disappearing. The Haiwaiian(sp?) Rumble is gone. Not much sense in ever going back. (This was probably the greatest breakfast place in Wildwood. Torn down to put up more houses for more people.) But, I'm off topic. Didn't get to fishing until Wed. and Thurs. Wed. I took the boy to the jetty in Avalon. Nothing biting except for those stupid strawberry flies. Thurs. we went back to Avalon for the 1pm trip on Miss Avalon II. We almost missed the boat but due to my running back and forth across the dock like a nut, we made it. The ocean was kinda rough and the kids who brought 2 coolers full of beer on the front of the bought spent most of the trip puking over the side. At least they didn't stop drinking. Ahh, to be young and dumb again. Now, I'm just old and dumb. Fishing was less than great. Alot of small seabass and sand sharks. A $2 per man pot was started and I paid for me and the boy. Only three keepers were caught - 2 seabass and a nice hefty flounder. The guy next to me said it had to be 18-19". I was too busy trying to my hook out of his mouth to think about it. That's right, I caught the winner. All told I had the fluke, a small seabass, and the boy got a sand shark. Everything we caught seemed to just be laying there. There was no fight and we didn't know they were there until we pulled them up. All in all a nice time. Alot people were getting sick. Everytime I bent over I got a little woozy but when I sat up and looked out at the water I felt much better. The boy had a blast although on the way in he had to go in and lay down for the last 1/2 hour of the ride. About 3pm the sky got ugly but the worst was light rain. The boat had about 45 people, a little more than I would have liked but not too bad. There was a minimum of line tangles. So for a recap: Two days of fishing, 3 fish, 1 pot winning keeper and a smile from the kid who can't wait to go again next year. By the way, If you get or find The Beachcomber(free newspaper in Avalon, Stone Harbor, Cape May) check out the Shore Shots section. There was a photographer on the jetty taking pictures. She got the kid and I and said it would be in this Friday's edition. One more thing the kid can grin about. Until next time, happy fishing.

It's a hassle looking for that site. I'll see if I can copy and post the pic later.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:59:22 PM by gregman1069 »

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
 ;D "Smile from the Kid"  Well done TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
Great report Greg.  Congrats on the pool winner.  Not much beats putting a smile on a kids face. t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline newbie14

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »
I'll be in Sea Isle City tonight...anyone know how the bite is there?

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:15 PM »
Great Job Greg. COngrats on a fine vacation!

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »
Thank you sir! I called the porgy iv but they didn't have a 4 hr trip. After going out on Miss Avalon, I don't think either of us would have lasted all day.

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
I'll be in Sea Isle City tonight...anyone know how the bite is there?
I hear they're having luck in the bays with stripers. sounds like later at night. I'll be in Avalon thurs. trying again. Not much happening on Mon. Strawberry flies were horrible on the jetty. Had some nice bites. I watched one guy fight something for about 20 mins. He finally got it close enough to see and it was a ray about 3ft. wide. Looked like a fun fight but he couldn't get it up the rocks(what would he do with it anyway?) so he kept it close long enough for some kids to see it and then he cut his line. Plus, the Eagles were on, so I had to go watch. We have on house under construction that's on the bay with a dock. I'm thinking about mounting a light out there and going for some striper. I'll let you know. Blues are biting when the tides coming in, watch for birds on the water. Depending who you talk to everythings biting, just not for everybody.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:19:10 PM by gregman1069 »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »
 whs
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-