Author Topic: Avalon Fishing Report  (Read 212382 times)

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
Re: Avalon Fishing Report
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:43 PM »
sorry fellers, I was too busy this week with work and personnal matters to get out. Actually went to the jetty Thursday but the waves were washing over. I made a small attempt, but I figured out pretty quick I wasn't getting anything. I promise to do better next week. :-\
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:32:30 PM by gregman1069 »
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 12:59:07 AM »
Hi newbie14,

Not quite sure about down that way but I hear of small croakers being taken around Cape May maybe they started to filter up in your direction give it a try.

Happy Catching

paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm using bubble gum sparkle fin-s bodies on a white bucktail for blues. What's good for croakers?

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
Sorry I haven't checked in lately. There's a guy work ,used to be my old boss, he came to work with us for a while when we were swamped. helped us out for about 9 mths. He thought he was going to get let go so he went and found him some work. Turns out he wasn't getting let go but was getting hired full time. Now he has this other project which needs to be finished at night after working for our company all day. Like I said he was my old boss and he taught me most of what I know, so I'm trying to help bail him out. So, to get to the point, that's why I haven't been fishing for the past couple of weeks. Looks like I might get out there soon. Stay tuned.

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »
Okay I'm back to fishin! TT^ I've got a light set up behind one of the houses were building. I was out Thursday night and had some fun. I had a SMALL striper (maybe 16-18") on the line but I didn't set the hook very well and he spit the hook out about 5' from the dock. I played with everything in my bag of tricks. Snappers (I hear this term alot. are these blues or another fish altogether?) ate the spit out of my fin-s, the baitfish followed everything I threw so would these snapper things but they would only hit certain colors. I have pink, green and blue fin-s bodies-they would only hit the pink. I was throwing my bomber (4" clear body w/ black stripe on back)-nothing. Yozuri lure-nothing. Maybe it's too soon, or maybe I'm too far in from the ocean. I've heard the stripers in the bays of Avalon are on the small side. Any how I promise to spend more time with my line in the water now. I gotta get me a striper again.

I saw something this year that made me laugh and I never got around to saying anything. I will post this somewhere else, so everyone can read it. With all that I've seen on this board about rods and reels-what's the best one and what kind of line should I use and all that goes along with that...One day about 2 months ago I was walking out onto the 8th St jetty when I came across three men. A grandfather, father, son. All were fishing to gether but granpop was sitting on the rocks holding nothing more than a bamboo pole with a peice of string tied to the end. Both his son and grandson told me that the three good sized fish laying next to him were his and he caught them on his "rig". Maybe it ain't the gear we use after all.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:54 PM »
 ;)  I use to use a bamboo when I was younger too t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 11:42:10 PM »
Nice report Gregman.  Snappers are small blue fish, around 6 inches or so.

Good luck in getting your striper.  I hope you get it soon.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »
 TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 08:35:57 PM »
Well I went into Hodge Podge and got a little info. It seems the stripers aren't here yet. Once the warm weather breaks we should be in good shape. They keep looking at me like a nut asking for lures and such. I had to explain that is hard for me to keep bait. So they understood and gave me some "Fishbites". Any body use these? I think he gave them to me for Kingfish.

Offline bross243

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm going fishing this weekend in Avalon.  Anyone know if the stripers are hitting yet?  I have a boat but probably will go at night off the bulkhead at 80th street.  Should i try the jetty first?   

Every time i go to Hodge Podge and ask for advice i dont catch a thing.  I think they purposely send me in dead spots.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
Hi Bross.  Welcome to the site..  Right now for the action. I'd target Blues.

I heard of some nice stripers being caught down there.  But these are just resident fish.

Clams on a fish finder rig can get you both t^

It won't be long.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 08:15:44 AM »
Hopefully with this off shore wind the water temp will drop and things will get better.

Offline cachalot

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
new to thread. gregman - your fist post - lol - real funny - I'm still smiling - I'll join the thread once in a while - Me and ny kids, 9 & 11 caught a lot of fish this summer but very few keepers.  I need to learn everyones' secrets.  Been fishing a long time but still can't seem to catch the big ones.  I'll try anyones advise for catching flouder, black sea bass and stripper keepers.  If lures are suggested please post a picture of it if possible.  whale of a tale - cachalot.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »
Hey Cach!!>  Welcome Aboard t^

Offline cachalot

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
thanks for the welcome.  forgot to say, were at exit zero, cape may, boat in the harbor.  if weather gets better will try to fish tomorrow.  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/east/phimz.htm

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »
cachalot, welcome to the site.  Any questions you have, just ask.  The more direct the question the better the response.  Everyone here is friendly and willing to help.
Also, anything you have to offer will be appreciated.  

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
Hello and welcome to my thread. oh yeah and also NJSWF. Believe the hype-this place is pretty cool. No B.S., no attitudes, just a bunch of fishin folk who like to share stories and trade tips and help each other out. Most of us are from North Jersey but I'm trying to represent the South as best I can. Nice to have your boys along too, I took mine for the first time this year and he loved it. Got a little guy too-3 yr old-He loves to take his rod to the creek and bang it around in the water. I'm not ready to bring him to the big water yet. Look forward to talking with ya- Welcome here!

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
Hey guys! Happy New Year and all that. Hope you had a fine holiday. Just wanted to say I'm still here. The rods have been put up till the weather gets nicer. Got a lot going on my oldest is in scouts and I'm a Cubmaster, the girl is cheering for the first time and the little guy is hanging around too. I'm still checking in from time to time and hope to have a good story soon.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »
 TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
All them activities will keep you busy over the winter.   t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-