Author Topic: 4X4 info  (Read 3969 times)

Offline jjsfishingbuddy

• Full Member of the Den
  • Love fishing with my kids
4X4 info
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
I am looking for a truck to use on the sand is there anything I should be looking for that will help me out. I know this is an open ended questions and I am not sure it belongs here. I guess my main question is there one truck more suited for this than others? Thanks.
Keep your hooks in the water and your bait fresh.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: 4X4 info
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »
I have had a 03 dodge 3500hd 4x4,a ford f250sd 4x4,and a chevy 2500 4x4.  I have a dodge ram 1500 now. For the sand part id go with a ford,for haulin id do a dodge.

The older fords(86 and up} f 150,250 4x4 would be my choice.They are tough trucks and i couldnt kill mine with 190,000 miles on it and she is still runnin today!

Dodges are great for haulin alot of weight my dodge had 1,200 pounds of steel in her bed and towed a 24 foot camper over 100 miles with out a hiccup!

The chevy well i tied a rope on it and sank it like a rock!!!!!!!

Dont no if this helps but thats my outlook.  Good luck and hope you find a perfect truck for you.
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »
any Ford Truck
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
I have a Ford 2000 Expedition and it has served me well over all those years.  Just make sure it is a true 4X4.  I have towed out a number of AWD veh's and would not take a chance on the sand especially on IBSP, too soft.

I would not get a tire that is too aggressive, you will only dig in and have nothing but problems.  Plus you do not, I repeat, do not have to lift a good veh. up.  If you can clear the sand with your axles your good to go.  My SUV is stock all the way and have not been stuck with it so far.  Common sense goes a long way.

So, as far as what veh is best suited for the sand it is up to you and your pocket book.  If you keep within my simple guidelines you will be just fine.  Just K.I.S.S. 

Good Luck

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
If you're using it as a beach buggy, be sure it is a true 4x4.  All wheel drive vehicles are not permitted on the beach.  
And don't forget to air down.   t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
You even towed me out Paul!   ;D
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
I used to frequent ibsp all the time with my old 88 suburban and that thing was a TANK and they are available pretty cheap and are amazingly easy to fix

270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »
My biggest advice would be make sure you have good ground clearance and good tires, if you have those two any 4x4 will work I'm a dodge guy myself. My thought is you can have all the tourqe and hp in the world but if your bottomed out or have bologne skins you aint gonna move.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
But by jacking up the body will not give you ground clearance only bigger tires but I have used the same tire size since I bought the Expedition and have not had any problems.  Its the clearance of the lowest axle part that you measure your clearance.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
my suburban had a 3 inch suspension lift a 2 inch body lift and was on 35 inch tires....rolled around at 12psi like a tank helped a couple stuck fisherman out as well
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
As was already mentioned, ground clearance, 4x4 and tires.
Decent all terrain tires.  Not mud thread.  
Decent ground clearance. No less then 6-7 inches. If the axles, skid plates or frame dig into the sand...you're done.  
I've seen all brands and styles of vehicles out there.  Some do better then others, but as long as the above apply, they can do the job.  And I've seen plenty of trucks with big tires, huge lifts and monster motors buried to the doors.  So HP, tires and gadgets don't mean anything on the sand.

The most important is safe and sensible driving.  Learning how to properly drive on the sand is the most important part.  Go with someone who is experienced your first time out.  (tip- summer tends to be the worst due to the high traffic on the beach)

And there will be times that no matter what you drive and how careful you are, tragedy will strike.  So make sure you are prepared.  Have the right gear and preplan how to use it.  Know your tow points, make sure the jack will work for you when you're stuck and buy quality straps.  

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
Let me clear up what I meant by good tires I meant tread not size. Allthough the bigger the tire the more surface area and have a better chance of moving on less rotations stopping you from sinking as fast. But yes paul you are correct big tires will not really add to clearance
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »
my F350 with 33" all terrain tires work the beach perfect.  But again, so does my Excursion with all terrain tires.. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-