Author Topic: Possibly a change of scenery for next year  (Read 4145 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Possibly a change of scenery for next year
« on: August 03, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »
After 20+ years fishing the Sandy Hook/ Raritan bay area, I'm considering moving the boat south to Barnegat Bay for a change of scenery. 

I've done a little fishing in that area, mostly in back of LBI while on vacation.

Can anyone recomend a good marina around the Forked River or Barnegat area? I have a 21' Hydra Sports CC.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Possibly a change of scenery for next year
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
Raritan is the best, very easy access to the ocean with deap water.  Good Ol Barny is great for fishing and mostly crabbing, but the ride to either inlet is very difficult with very low water outside the channels and may be a much longer ride to the ocean if that is where you fish.  Also, marina's are more expensive once you start mentioning the name LBI...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
 whs

Id skip up to Manasquan t^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:15:39 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to give it some more thought.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
Hi Bassnblues,

I am in the middle of the Manasquan and Barnegat Inlets.

I love to fish both areas BUT for totally diffferent reasons.

I love the Manasquan Inlet because I am in the center of productive action and many of my favorite places to fish ... easy access up to Sandy Hook and down to LBI; easy access offshore.

I like the Barnegat Inlet area because I like the light tackle fishing in and around that inlet and I get easy access to the Barnegat Ridges.

I had boats in the Highlands; Barnegat Inlet; and Manasquan Inlet areas. They all have pros and cons.

I decided for cost and location to be in the Barnegat Bay but a bit closer to the Manasquan Inlet. The cost is a huge difference than being in the Manasquan River. The downside is that you have to run the canal. Not a boating issue but a time issue.

There are many things to weigh but for me, the Barnegat Bay in the Toms River/Brick/Pt. Pleasant area gives me more opportunities to fish, crab, tube and cruise while giving me good access to all my favorite fishing spots.

Good luck as it is a hard decision but you will win either way!

Capt. Ed

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
I think raritan bay is great but I was thinking of a change of pace by doing some light tackle fishing and crabbing in some sheltered waters. 

I was thinking closer to Barnegat because I do know a few spots in that area plus I'd also have the option of running down to Great Bay.

Just like the boats themselves, there's always a trade off. Ideally, I'd like to put it down in Cape May and learn that area but that's a bit too far to drive.

I have plenty of time to mull it over...

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:35:29 PM »
Hi BassnBlues,

If you are into light tackle fishing, by far the Barnegat Inlet area is best. You are correct.

I do not know many marinas down there. The one I used is no longer there - converted to condos.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline sealife

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
I would try Stan's, Mac's or Holiday Harbor.  All are in Waretown.  Mac's is the only one with a boat ramp.  He does offer dry storage on you trailer but the lot is not fenced in.  I am not sure if there is a security issue or not.  All three are very close to the Oyster Creek Channel.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »
I agree with Sealife.  The Waretown area is by far the easiest access to the Barnegat Inlet.  The marinas are also a lot more affordable than any from Manasquan north.  I know several people who keep their boat in that area and they are happy with it.  Also, one of the Elks clubs has a marina and they are super cheap for members.  There is probably a long waiting list, but worth checking out.  I believe it is the Forked River Elks, but I'm not positive.

Good luck in your search.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline buldogg69

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 04:52:41 AM »
Lots of affordable marinas down hear.

South harbor marine in weretown

Laurel Harbor marina in Lanoka

State marina in FR
Cedar Creek in Bayville

Lanoka Harbor marina in Lanoka

If you want to spend more with bells and whistles

Southwinds in FR

Barnaget inlet is not a bad as everyone thinks.
Just watch the markers and keep it moving when going through the washing machine that is our inlet.
You would think with the reputation it would keep the rookies away but at does not!
Watch for other boats keep it at a safe speed and of the bow in the right direction and all is well.
oh and the false jetty on the north side don't wannt meet that

please let me know if you need more info
I live in Lanoka and keep the boat hear as well

Offline CAPT. JOHN K.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
I live in Toms River at the base of the Seaside Bridge. Like Capt. Ed says, we enjoy the best of both worlds as we can access both Inlets for different types of fishing. I enjoy the light tackle action we have in the bay with weakfish, blues,bass,and fluke. The channel to Barnegat Inlet on a weekend can get pretty crazy but that's to be expected. During the week we enjoy some easy relaxing fishing.
There are quite a few decent marinas located down this way Forked River,Waretown,Lanoka Harbor,etc.
If I'm not mistaken I think New Jersey Fish & wildlife has a list of marinas/ramps. Might be worth a look.
Good luck with your decision....take your time & look around.
                    Capt. John K.
"Fishing," as close to heaven as I'll ever get!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-