Author Topic: NJ Fishing Locations, Berkeley Island County Park  (Read 45570 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
NJ Fishing Locations, Berkeley Island County Park
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:19:55 AM »
Hi All,

I would like to recommend you try this one with your family.  It is a great location and totally safe for kids.  It is located in Berkeley Twp. and may not be the easiest place to find but just follow the Google maps and you should be all right.

It is located at the end of Brennan Concourse.  The park has a large parking lot so parking should not be a problem. an easy walk to go fishing or crabbing just follow the paved path around to the left to the end.

There are picnic tables splattered all over many with BBQ grills for a bring along lunch or dinner. If you forgot your lunch there are usually vendors selling ice cream and hot dogs plus other drinks and snacks.

The fishing area is very accessible by the physically challenges with paved paths all over for easy maneuverability through out the park.

The facilities are clean and accessible for all. 

If you would like to reserve an area for a party call the Ocean County Park System for information.

There is also a bathing beach with a life guard on duty and if you feel like a game of horseshoes bring them along there are 2 pits available.

There are no bait shops so bring your own choice of bait and tackle.

Google Maps:
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Berkeley,+NJ,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=39.875888,-74.152908&spn=0.03636,0.093298&t=h&z=14&om=1

Happy Catching

Paul

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:27:32 PM by Pfishingruven »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: NJ Fishing Locations, Berkeley Island County Park
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 07:36:21 AM »
You da man, Paul!   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:44:39 AM »
 whs
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
FYI Trixie's Marina is located on the left just before the park entrance.  They have a small bait shop where folks can go to get some basic gear, rigs, and bait before entering the park. ;)

-Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:31:19 AM »
 whs

When he said right before he means right before.  Sorry I forgot to put that in.  It is a dark red building on your left going in, can't miss it.

Thanks bucktail TT^

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:28:24 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
I've been going here for the past 20 years or more, love to take the Nephew's kids here for crabbing. My Brother-in-law crabs here almost exclusively. I have also caught some nice size weaks + snapper blues in this location. I will be here next Wednesday morning with my Brother-in-law. Hoping to get over to IBSP on Tuesday for a little surf action.
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
I should be over there sometime this week as my uncle will be taking his grandson fishing so I told him I would meet them there.  Just think 3 generations 2 taught by the same person.  Pretty cool.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:30 AM »
Awesome, Paul!  My father loves fishing there.  TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
I have not been fishing there all this year I heard they repaired the dock area and now you can go all the way out to the end and it is not blocked off any more.  t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
Dang Paul!  You've got to go fishing!  Been fixed for two years now. ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »
I know I thought it was still closed.  What can I say.  This year has been spent at the easel and it will probably be that way through the winter as well.  I am trying to get a series of paintings ready for either next year or beginning of 2011 dealing with Hawaii.  I am hoping to present them out there, we will see.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline bugmannj

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
Spent Wednesday morning at the park. My Brother-in-law set his crab traps, and I tried fishing with light tackle. Brother-in-law came up with about 15 nice size crabs, I came away with about the same number of snapper blues. Action was slow in the beginning of morning but picked up with tide change. t^
Good things come to those who bait

Builds and repairs rods if needed

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
Very cool!  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
Nice bay fishing, bug!

TT^

Offline sperzonkers2

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »
I launch my boat there at Trixes most of the time.
as you can park the truck and trailer across the street TT^
Bill

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:22 PM »
 t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
I miss this park.  It was closed all last year and it will be closed all of 2014 as well.  :-\

Sandy's Legacy: Berkeley Island County Park Won't Fully Reopen Until 2015

By Patricia A. Miller

At first glance, it doesn't look like there's too much wrong with Berkeley Island County Park. The grass needs mowing, the buildings look at little battered.

But take a closer look. A good chunk of the road leading to the park is gone, gobbled up by Superstorm Sandy's surge nearly a year ago. The south side of the park has eroded and is covered with gravel from what used to be the parking lot. And it is still eroding.

Ask Ocean County Parks and Recreation Confidential Assistant Michael J. Fiure what his reaction was when he first saw the park two days later.

"I was speechless," Fiure said without hesitation. "I realized the strength of the store and how easily it just tore up concrete."

And for visitors who don't understand why they can't use the park yet, there's some very good reasons.

The park has a number of mini-sinkholes, sections of beach scoured by Sandy.

"The water was coming in so fast it created a whirlpool effect," Fiure said.

Whole sections of macadam walkway washed away during the storm. Beaches on both the northern and southern sides of the park continue to erode. The fishing pier needs repairs.

Ocean County has decided on a two-pronged approach to rebuilding the park off Brennan Concourse, both Fiure and Freeholder John C. Bartlett Jr. said.

The first step will be shoring up the eroding sections of beach and roadway. Ocean County already had a contract in place with Stephens Institute of Technology to design a "living shoreline," Fiure said.

The county plans to advertise requests for proposals for engineers to design the entire restabilization plan within the next 30 days, he said.

The erosion and roadway problems have to be taken care of first, before any improvements can be made to the park's infrastructure, Fiore said.

"Eventually if we do nothing, Berkeley Island park will be an island again," he said.

The storm surge tore off five feet chunks of a 20-foot swath of the roadway right near the 25-acre park's entrance and ripped up two utility light poles, which have never been found. All of the parking area on the right side of the park is "gone," he said.

The planking on the fishing dock will have to be replaced. But the bulkheads on the dock held up fairly well, Fiure said.

The second phase of the renovation will be the park's buildings and structures , which were already battered before Sandy roared onto the Jersey Shore last Oct. 29.

Surprisingly, the structures - the lifeguard building, bathrooms and a gazebo for picnics - held up during the storm, even though they are more than 30 years old, Fiure said.

But the park was due for a much-needed upgrade before Sandy. Bartlett has described the park as "tired."

Berkeley Island County Park juts out into Barnegat Bay, making it extremely vulnerable to Nor'easters, other storms and ice build-up, Fiure said.

So the gates to the park will remain locked, probably until 2015.

"Our goal is to have the park open and finished by 2015," he said. "If we can open up portions, we will do that. But we don't anticipate being open by 2014."

There is a small section of beach and shoreline right before the park's main entrance that people can use for now. There are no restrooms.

Fiure asks that visitors respect the locked gates and closed signs. A number of people drove up to the gates on a sunny Friday afternoon, hesitated, then turned around and drove away.

http://berkeley-nj.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/sandys-legacy-berkeley-island-county-park-wont-fully-reopen-until-2015#

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-