Author Topic: Fluke habits  (Read 48187 times)

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke habits
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
I have caught many fluke in shallow water.--From the surf you need to have the bait moving--Slow retrieve or in a cross current to keep the bait moving. Fluke sit and wait for the bait to ambush them--moving over the top of them    t^ t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
Sometimes, other times its because of water temp, so depending on what time of year early in the season there will be bigger fish in the shallows because its warmer but there will be more shorts because the come in first.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline flukeydukie

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
do you think it could relate to the size of bait/lure and the bigger fish will go after a bigger bait more

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:53 PM »
 If you read this Whole thread --most of the questions you are asking have been answered-Read through it --great info here.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
big baits catch big fish small baits catch all fish
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »
"any chance of a world record fluke being taken in 15 feet of water".

Isn't that what makes fishing addicting? The pursuit of the elusive but still obtainable. I say anything is possible. My biggest fluke last year came from drifting a strip of fresh snagged bunker just outside the breakers of ibsp.

Right thats true, I'm just trying to make a point
 on how much of a difference there is of the average size of Fluke between the inlets and ocean.

It like how many doormats do you hear getting caught in the inlets like say Shark River or Manasquan? Its very rare. Out of all the boats and shore fisherman you hear of a few caught in an entire season. But a single party boat is almost guaranteed to have a doormat in the 8 lb range caught per month.
If your catching small Fluke you are fishing for small fluke. There are big fluke everywhere when you start fishing for them. If I catch a couple small fluke I move. I wont do another drift in the same location. The big fluke don't usually hang right with the small ones. They are off to the side and sometimes very shallow. I also believe the big fluke feed briefly and then turn off while the small fluke will feed the whole tide. If you want big fluke you need to be there at the right tide and fish like a maniac for one hour and then call it a day. If your only getting small fluke then STOP whatever your doing. Change your rig, change your bait, change your bait but repeating the same mistake and catching shorts all day is what I used to do. I learned to stop fishing for small fluke. Look for structure. Big fluke are like big whitail bucks. They claim the best habitat for themselves and leave the lessor habitat to the small ones. Ive lived and fished Brigantine for 40 years. All the mega fluke (over 12 pounds) I have seen caught in those years were caught in the inlet. In deep water. along side the bridge pilings. That's the only hint Im gonna give you. The best part about fishing is figuring the mysteries out for yourself.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-