Author Topic: Made an interesting find today  (Read 4552 times)

Offline vespo

Made an interesting find today
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »

I had to work today, which was bad, but I finished up early which was good. I also had my gear in the car which was even better, but I only had a few hours to sundown and still had to get back home at a reasonable time- so I fired up google maps and started looking for a likely spot or two where I could at least get some casting practice on the way home.

I found an unlikely place that was not very far out of my way.

I happened to be sweeping past the amboys in hybrid mode, and something caught my eye, a little stretch of beach along the south side of perth amboy that looked like it had a few jettys. I ran a few google searches and discovered that Perth Amboy basically has a three mile stretch of waterfront park with free parking that is open to fishing, and even has several smaller piers.

Turned out to be a promising looking spot- several local were fishing at various points of the section I took a look at (I walked maybe a half mile stretch between the west end of the waterfront park area and the first pier). When I got there the tide was starting to come in so I took the opportunity to look around.

Perth Amboy is somewhat Urban, but the waterfront park area looks quite nice- free parking, a recently done walkway, somewhat revcntly redone fishing piers, and a decent view. I won't kid you, the spot wasn't pristinely clean, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

It looked like there was quite a bit of structure at all manner of ranges from the beach, reachable with either quick and easy casts, and even more options for people who carry heavy artillery. The beach slopes down so you can get a good read of the structure as you walk to the beach. As the tide came in, there was a reasonable amount of bait jumping around within about 10 feet of the water's edge, and there were plenty of clam shell pieces and pieces of crab shells scattered along the shore so there's a variety of bait out there.

In any case, I had time to take a short walk around, and toss around a few lures before heading home, not long enough to figure out what to target and what bait works best- although it seems to be a situation where fresh bait to "bring the fish to you" is probably the best bet. Biggest con is that there are no bait shops nearby!

In any case, it looks promising enough to go back for a longer outing (with better bait) and take my camera along so I can give a better more coherent report and actually see what's biting there. This trip was more about me trying to get used to using a big surf rod without hurting myself and others in the process than it was about catching anything.

Heh, maybe I can file it under "Urban Surf Fishing"

Here's the google maps location - the satellite photo of the area is clearly out of date, there is more there than the photo shows.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.500274,-74.274734&spn=0.005205,0.008615&t=h&z=17&om=1
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Made an interesting find today
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:54:30 PM »
Good find,

I haven't been fishing up that way in a long time.  Much has changed.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Hi Vespo,

Excellent ... great info!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 12:00:41 AM »
Nice! TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
 TT^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:59:35 AM »
Good Report TT^

Offline bayonne

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »
you would be suprised what urban beaches will do its not open anymore but as a kid in jersey city their was a great beach with big stripers and blues it sat between what was caven point pier and what is now liberty state park we dug are own sand and bloods and fished it on the incomeing it was a bass bonanza 10-20 lb bass were the norm then a developer put million dollor condos blocking the acess and the beach is posted

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
looks very promising for early season stripers as they move up the Raritan. Thanks!

Offline vespo

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
According to the write ups for the Perth Amboy waterfront, there are two peirs on the stretch of beach I checked out, and two more on the side facing Staten Island.

On the raritan bay side, the bottom seems to drop down a few feet not far out, so you've got limited opportunities for wading- although there are obvious shallow spots at low tidenear the groins/jettys. It looks a bit unsafe to run a seine net without really knowing the topology, but I'd bet you'll get good results with a cast net or possibly a killie trap.
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
Good info Vespo, thanks for sharing.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »
There are no fish in Perth Amboy...please stay away, thanks t^ ;)
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline flukenut

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
no fish in the  raritan bay what so ever
n

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:26:07 PM »
hehehe s5r
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-