Author Topic: Fluking the Ambrose Channel-Help Me Out Please  (Read 4498 times)

Offline rossg

Fluking the Ambrose Channel-Help Me Out Please
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:29:12 PM »
I have never fished The Ambrose for Doormat Fluke.What i have heard is that its deep and fast.How much weight do I need?
I am going from Shark River so must I keep only 19 inches or is 17 ok?
Bait Choice?
Gps #s-How far from Shark River?
Can you guys help me out with the necessary info to make it happen.
Is this the time to do it?
Ross
Capt ED your experience please?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Fluking the Ambrose Channel-Help Me Out Please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »
I have never fished The Ambrose for Doormat Fluke.What i have heard is that its deep and fast.How much weight do I need?
I am going from Shark River so must I keep only 19 inches or is 17 ok?
Bait Choice?
Gps #s-How far from Shark River?
Can you guys help me out with the necessary info to make it happen.
Is this the time to do it?
Ross
Capt ED your experience please?
OK, if your going from Shark River, head north to the top of Sandy Hook.  There are a bunch of buoys and boats there, that is where you want to be.  Weight choice depends on drift speed and current speed, but anywhere from 3 to 6 oz should do it on most occasions. Bait choice is also preference, peanut bunker, spearing, killies, squid, and gulp bait will all work.  17" fluke are acceptable..  ;D  I fish out of Atlantic Highlands, so you will be fishing in my back  yard, so to speak..  good luck.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline sealife

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »
I think you will find it is about a 17 mile run from Shark River to the tip fo the hook.  The sinker weights depend on conditions but you can figure on 50' of water.  I have seen some days when 16oz sinkers would not do the trick.  Wind and tide together.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »
I think you have a lot better spots to try closer to home then Ambrose these days.

If you do decide to make that run, better not keep anything smaller then 21".

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »
When you get up to the tip of Sandy Hook, that channel is the Sandy Hook channel.  The Ambrose channel is on the other side of the water.  Several more miles north.  

It depends on where you fish in the Ambrose channel as to the regulations.  Part of the channel is in New York waters and part are in New Jersey waters.  When you are in New York waters you will need to abide by their regulations, both size wise and limit wise.  I believe Capt Ed or Hotrod posted a chart of the area a couple of days ago.  

Ross, just an FYI.  There are big fish to be caught near/at the Shrewsbury Rocks.  Specifically, the Rattlesnake area and the Sandy Hook Reef.  Several people on the board have provided numbers for places to fish there.  You will loose a lot of rigs but if you are catching that is a small price to pay.  The rocks will save you a bit of fuel and time.   t^

I have recently begun to fish the rocks area (I stopped listening to the lost rig complaints ;D).  I have not put a huge fish aboard yet but we have had some very nice fish from there. (up to 5+#s).  You also have the opportunity to catch some nice seabass while fluking.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »
Ambrose is about 2 1/2 miles of so north of Sandy Hook should be able to see it on your GPS or chart. Water depths can go to 75-80 ft and depending on the tide you might be dropping 12-16 oz of lead

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-