Author Topic: Keeping peanut bunker alive [FAQ]  (Read 20583 times)

Offline njadam

Keeping peanut bunker alive [FAQ]
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
What is the best way to keep peanut bunker alive without a livewell on your boat? thanks
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:18:17 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Keeping peanut bunker alive [FAQ]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »
What is the best way to keep peanut bunker alive without a livewell on your boat? thanks
live well is the best choice, or hang over a bait keeper off the side of the boat.  If your fishing for fluke, they don't have to be alive, so keep them on ice and keep them real fresh.  DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE LIKE WELL WITH KILLIES, THE KILLIES WILL EAT THEM..  No joke, you heard me correct..  killies will eat them.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline njadam

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:52:24 PM »
i had no idea the killies would eat them. very interesting. caught about 2 dozen of them on monday and then just put some salt on them and put them into the freezer.In about 20 mins they were all dead in a bucket of water. will they still be good for fluke this weekend?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »
Fluke eat frozen bait, so don't worry too much about that.  If I get the peanut bunker, I will zip lock bag them, remove the air, and keep them in the refrigerator for a few days if I know I will be on the water in that time.  If not, then freeze them.  They are great Fluke bait, dead or alive, frozen or fresh.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:23:29 PM »
I couldn't believe my eyes.  Last year I spent some time at my house in Little Egg Harbor.  It is great having access to my boat when it is docked in the lagoon in the back yard.  I caught a bunch of killies for a fluke trip, put them in my live well for Fluke fishing a few hours later.  During that time a school of peanut bunker made there way in my lagoon.  I threw the cast net out and BANG, got a bunch.  So, i put them in the live well with the killies.  By the time I got to the fishing grounds, I opened the live well and all the killies were attacking the peanut bunker that were twice or 3 time the size of the killies.  SO, at that point, I put the killies in the trolling saver and then in the live well to separate them.  I couldn't believe it, and I wouldn't of if I didn't see it.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:16:12 PM »
Wow, The Attack of the Killer Killies.

Coming to a live (or dead) bait well near you.

Sorry I couldn't resist

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
Round livewells or tubs with a good aerator will keep the peanuts alive.  Rectangular, like a cooler, will work, but if you have a good amount of them, they just don't swim right.  With a round tub they'll swim in circles staying alive longer.

Killies will eat anything.  if they grew larger, they'd be almost like saltwater pirannha. :o
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-