Author Topic: First Boat Research / Info Needed  (Read 48501 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: First Boat Research / Info Needed
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
you could always trailer your boat to save on slip fees but that usually means smaller boat and less times out per year
yeah, and also $6,000 for a trailer
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
 If all else fails use charter or party boats! 

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
gas at my marina was 4.20 last time i fueled up 3 weeks ago

Whoa, go to Pederson's.  It was $3.81 just 3 weeks ago and at the most all year was $4.00
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Like everyone has said do the research. Any good boat owner won't have a problem with a sea trial so if the boat your looking at owner seems to be hesitant on that walk away.  Also before buying your own boat make sure that owning a boat is for you. Go out with one of your friends that has one and have him let you be the captain for the day so you can get the feel of it. Go get fuel at a marina. Navigate around other boats bridges etc, make sure your comfortable with all this and last but not least make sure you have the time to use the boat. Sitting at your slip will cause you problems ie barnacle growth, bird mess, dead batteries all things that can be a problem if the boat isn't run frequently. Also on in your first year don't hesitate to ask for help or questions. And also know your limitations, hopoe this also helps you in your desicion.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Sitting at your slip will cause you problems ie barnacle growth, bird mess, dead batteries all things that can be a problem if the boat isn't run frequently.
I wouldn't have it any other way then a boat slip.  Its convenient, less chance of making a ramp mistake, you can go to the boat in the dark and not have to wait in line at the ramp.  Most marina's will have everything you need, like a fish cleaning station, running water, lights, showers, etc.  A good bottom paint will prevent any barnacle growth, and shore power will always trickle charge your battery.  Yes, a boat used frequently is the key.  A boat slip will allow you to use your boat more frequently.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
100 percent agreed my point is that if your boat is gonna sdit at the slip and not be used you do have the potential for those problems. Not trying to steer anyone away from a slip if I had more time to use my boat I would slip it also. Just trying to let him know you need time to have a boat. Its not a hobby to be takin lightly can be costly and does take a lot of time. But the risk is totally worth the reward there's nothing like being out on the water.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
Considering the investment.

I recommend you reconsider. Find a friend with a boat and be a boat moocher. Invest the $5-15K you saved not buying the used boat, along with the $2-5K (or more) you will spend, per year, on boating expenses, in something that will actually appreciate.

Yes boats are fun and all, but definitely not an investment.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand$$$$
(And that's only if nothing goes wrong, which almost never happens....)

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
believe it or not...if u put cayenne peper in the paint the growth will be way less trust me i tried it and it works!!! smk
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
That absolutley works done it before

Offline rycher

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
aside from barnacles, any other advantage of racking vs slip?
"...knowledge, is it worth such torment..."

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
aside from barnacles, any other advantage of racking vs slip?

a boat in the water could possibly take on water or get beat up in a storm how ever its available at any hour any day.

A boat in the rack cant sink but you have to call ahead to have it launched and if you want it out of the water u have to be back at port b4 workers go home or it stays in till the next work day.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »
Nothing beats deciding at the last minute that you want to fish and you run down to the boat, any time day or night, jump on the boat and off you go.

You will get more use out of the boat if it is slipped. Makes it sooooo convenient.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 08:46:14 PM »
I some what agree with  whs ..We trailer our boat and dont find it a hassle at all.. one every one has to load their boat, a bit easier on land. both need fuel cheaper on land by far!
 As for launching..we pay, undo strap, back down ramp, unhook boat from trailer,start motor , drive off, simple and easy take us 5 minutes from the time we pay till im parking the truck. We just reverse it when we pull the boat out!

Plus the boats safe in our driveway and i can tinker with it any time i want.. chrz

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
Considering the investment.

I recommend you reconsider. Find a friend with a boat and be a boat moocher. Invest the $5-15K you saved not buying the used boat, along with the $2-5K (or more) you will spend, per year, on boating expenses, in something that will actually appreciate.

Yes boats are fun and all, but definitely not an investment.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand$$$$
(And that's only if nothing goes wrong, which almost never happens....)
i agree, but I wouldn't have it any other way then owning.. even if I just anchor in the bay and relax.  Boating isn't all about fishing..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
a boat in a rack, and also storing it on the trailer at the marina next to the ramp, still doesn't compare to having a slip.  fight with the wife and get kicked out, you always have a place to sleep.. lol

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
And if the boats in your driveway you can still get your mail. Haha

Offline CBass

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
Okay everybody is making me rethink buying a boat. I was looking to buy a 17' CC to fish the bay do some crabbing and maybe fluking along the beach when conditions are right. Now I'm not sure if I even what to touch a boat. I don't have a lot of money to spend. I came across an 83 Mako but the motor is also an 83 Evinrude 90 with good compression. Also a 76 Aquasport that the deck stringers and transom were all replaced and that had an 88 Evinrude 70 with good compression. Both boats were around 3K. Am i barking up the wrong tree?? Maybe I don't want to own a boat!

Offline Fishy Fingers

• 31 Sportcraft
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
I am pretty new to boating also. Last year I bought a 31' Sportcraft 3010 express. I have a family of 4 , wife wanted something we could sleep on, I wanted a fishing boat.It's the best of both world's. I did my home work and love having a slip (can't tow with tuna tower anyway) great people at marina will always help you out. I have found you can burn as much fuel as you want. We will cruise 45 min to tice shoal hang all day and hardly use any fuel or you can run all day and burn a ton. I love it!! never lookin' back
Tight Lines

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
It's not that bad.  start with a small center console..  best first boat there is.. t^

Then as you grow with knowledge.. so does your boat ;D

Offline CBass

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »
I was hoping that it would be a great starter boat. Thanks for the encouragement this thread was scaring me a bit. Still second guessing but we'll see.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-