Author Topic: IrishAyes fluking 8/14  (Read 7348 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
IrishAyes fluking 8/14
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »
Ran out with a crew of five today.  Me, Bob Cole, Lenny B, Jack N and Skeeter.

Went directly to our lump three miles out from the Red Church.  Drifted this spot all day.

We picked up fluke on every drift.  Mostly keeper fluke with some nice seabass thrown in.

Bob Cole was high hook today with seven keepers.  Lenny B was a close second with six.  Lenny makes his own rigs.  He likes the beads.  His rigs are alway very colorfull.  Red, green, silver, gold, yellow...it looks like he raided his wife's jewelry box!  He does limit the beads to no more than a dozen and a half per rig.    I can't say too much about them, they do catch the fish.    Lenny had the big fish today with a fluke that measured 23 1/2 inches and weighed 5 1/2 pounds.  Nice thick fluke.

Total catch for the day was twenty four keeper fluke and eleven nice seabass.

I will be leaving tomorrow for two days of seabass fishing in Hyannis, Mass.  I can only hope the seabass there are as nice as the ones we caught today. 

Today was a great day of catching with great weather and a great crew. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline brijones1

Re: IrishAyes fluking 8/14
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
great day guys  TT^
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline bob cole

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:13:05 PM »
Another great day on the IRISH AYES.
Thanks Capt. Joe for the oppertunity to share the nice day and the catch. It is always a great time on the boat.
HAVE A GOOD SEA BASS TRIP TO MASS. TT^ TT^

Ruger314

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:48:24 PM »
Nice Joe.. was going to call you on the radio.. but had some issues going on with that nice swells and chop today !

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:22:21 PM »
Good luck up there Joe ... can't wait to read your report.

Best wishes,

Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »
Be safe and good luck.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:49 AM »
Hey Joe Nice catch as most days, I'm glad your going north for a couple of days >:D maybe there will be some keepers for me out there on Satuday. Bob Cole when are you going to start sharing some of your secrets? The season is almost over, help us out! t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »
Skip,
I have noticed that Bob keeps his bait moving.  He is constantly up and down with the pole.  Only about a six inch lift of the pole and then a drop back to the bottom.  There is no rhythem to the lift/drop, that is, he may lift/drop three times, let it sit for 5-10 seconds, then lift/drop one time. No set pattern.  Nothing constant on the time or number.  He also keeps his bait fresh and running strait.  He is one of the best fluke catcher I know.  Other than keeping the bait moving there is nothing more he does than anyone else.  At least nothing that I have noted.  I hope it helps. 

Try squid head lump next time out.  I have been doing good there lately.  South of the skinny part of the structure.   t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:32 AM »
Gotta love 1 stop fishing..... t^

Offline Dollar and a Dream

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:10:39 AM »
Capt. Joe,

Congrats on the catch today. I saw you guys coming back in and working the fillet station for a long time! Nice Job. Quick question for you; I saw one of your crew throw a cast net of the dock 1, what were you netting? 2. what size was the net that you guys were using?
Thanks!
Brian

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »
Awesome day!!! Nice work... t^
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »
very nice catch.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
Capt. Joe,

Congrats on the catch today. I saw you guys coming back in and working the fillet station for a long time! Nice Job. Quick question for you; I saw one of your crew throw a cast net of the dock 1, what were you netting? 2. what size was the net that you guys were using?
Thanks!
Brian

Hi Brian, we were netting spearing.  The docks are loaded with them now.  A good mix between decent sized ones and small ones.  I watch what school I am throwing on because I don't want the small ones.  The net I have is 8 foot with 3/16 mesh.  It is one size down from the 1/4 inch.  You don't get nearly as many spearing gill netted with it.  They are hard to find around here.  I got mine from a friend in Florida.  He was a sales rep for the company, but the company has since sold and he is no longer with them.  This size net can be found at this site;  http://www.castnets.com/ 
I don't know the quality of these nets. 

If you were watching the guy in the morning, that was his first time with a net and he was trying to "lay" it open over fish.  That didn't work.  It was funny to watch though. ;D

If you see me at the dock, stop by and say hi. If you need some bait and I have any, I'll give you what you need, just let me know.

I have a spot at the back of the basin where I net peanut bunker and mullet.  I'll take you there if you want.  When they are in you need two people to lift the net.  TT^

Offline bob cole

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »
SKIP,
Capt. Joe told it all. I gust keep the bait moving. It does not have do be a big movement, just a 6 inch lift but often. Fresh bait also keeps the fluke interested. If I catch a few or the bait gets dirty, I change it.
Try it next time out.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:46 PM »
Thanks Bob are you useing a sinker & hook, Hook and bucktail, Hook and Teaser, Do you like a plain hook( no Dressings beads and spinners or do you change it up day to day? While I have the chance I will try to pick your brain as much as possiable don't worry it's painless except for the typing part and as long as your willing to give up some of your tips TT^

Offline AviD

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
Nice catch and pic!  t^

Offline Dollar and a Dream

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »
Joe,

thanks for the information. I have notice all the spearing myself and have caught some using a home mad dip net but the cast net will be so much more effective.
Once i get back from my next trip, I would love to take you up on your offer about the bunker and mullet. Thanks again

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »
Dollar and a Dream, I will be back fishing again Sunday.  We usually are back at the dock at 4pm or so. (depends on the bite)

I usually fish Tue, Wed, Sat and Sun.  I'm sure you will see me around.

Offline bob cole

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 07:21:54 AM »
Skip,
I prefer to use a single hook-4 or 5-O with a turned back eye.Not the english hook.
I usually start with a white teaser, the one that slides up and down on the line.
If I see that is is not working well I take the teaser off and just use a plain hook.
I like a 3 way swivel for the sinker but if no drift I will change to the slider sinker holder.
Hope that this helps a little.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
Thanks For sharing Bob, I am always ready to listen when someone is willing to share. I know for sure that keeping that bait fresh and clean is a top priority! Thanks again for shareing  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-