Author Topic: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!  (Read 147185 times)

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »
I have found that many ladies are outstanding fisherman. For the last two years the fairer sex has taken top honors on my boat for biggest bass and fluke.

When you consider the percentages of each sex that fish, I believe the ladies have the edge as far as being skillfull anglers. By far the majority of ladies that fish are more serious sportsman, compared to a smaller percentage of men. (on a whole)

Not putting the stronger sex down, but it is what it is TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
Better her (a real fisherperson) then some lucky stiff on a party boat with a rental rod who can't even spell fluke!
I have to agree with this as well
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »
Great point!

Capt. Ed

Ruger314

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »
just to add to the pot.. her cousin works on a dragger.. look close at the fish and the tail area, ???

alot of talk how this unrolling to be a false catch!

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

An expert on fish inspected in Saturday.

Why so much skepticism?

Also, because she has another World Record (I believe), she must have known how much scrutiny would be placed on this event ...

How about a big congratulations until the IFGA certifies it or not ...

How about calling out Capts. that fish spots they were given without so much as a Thank-you! Two major catch reports on this site that yours truly helped and still nothing ... the Sea Girt Reef spot was my lead ... there - I said it. Man did I screw that up for myself ...

Congrats again Monica,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:02:33 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »
Just got off the phone with the IGFA buddy of mine and no filings or word yet on the fluke. I will keep you posted.I heard the reason the gills are torn was because in order to officially weigh it she needed to rip the bucktail out. This could take time to confirm . She does have a good track record and she is a known local angler. I hope it works out for her . It definetly makes you feel like you too can catch a record fish like that one in our backyard.
It is a bad picture and alot can be pointed out against her but IGFA will decide. At some point the Captain of the boat she was on should step up to the plate and back her up???
Fish On... at the very least you now know they are out there..net or hook

Offline Duffman

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
  I just cant buy it.  If I'm totally wrong on this, I'll stand corrected BUT, how many pics of fluke have you seen?  Hundreds of thousands?  When have you seen a fish that beat up from a rod and reel catch?  Scales missing, bloody tail, bones almost poking through the skin toward the head.  I've had fish sit in a bucket for 24 hours that didnt look that beat up.

Offline brijones1

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
  I just cant buy it.  If I'm totally wrong on this, I'll stand corrected BUT, how many pics of fluke have you seen?  Hundreds of thousands?  When have you seen a fish that beat up from a rod and reel catch?  Scales missing, bloody tail, bones almost poking through the skin toward the head.  I've had fish sit in a bucket for 24 hours that didnt look that beat up.

maybe it fell out of the truck on the way to get it weighed in  :P
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »

maybe it fell out of the truck on the way to get it weighed in  :P

Maybe it wouldnt fit in her car and she had to tie it to the bumper and drag it in.. 5hrug
 ;D
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »
I agree its not gonna be easy for her...I agree when you see a doormat you cant help but caress it into the net and jump for joy.On top of that fluke live a long time out of the water this looks like its been out of water for 2 days..My personal opinion and I hope Im wrong the fish looks like it was frozen and thawed or even salted hence the bones showing through the skin. Its all good and gives us a healthy debate.. 5hrug. One guy said why isnt she happy in the picture. I know I would be ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 04:32:47 PM »
As far as this angler is concerned the IGFA will have the last say and till then I have no reason to doubt Monica. 

Like Capt. Ed said she is a seasoned angler who has dealt with the process before.  Why put her other record in jeopardy for a what?

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
I personally question the quality of the camera being used for the picture more than the fish.  I have had fish put in my cooler that are red on the white side and tail when we take them out to clean them.  As far as the head being pulled away, someone mentioned that she had to take out the spro.  I don't know if that is a fact or not.  But just the massive weight pulling down on that fish would probably cause damage to the neck area.
I don't know why people have to be so sceptical when events like this happen.  Everyone is throwing things out there that are 'what ifs' and 'could be's'.  When there are facts reported and not assumptions, then we can make an informed conclusion.
Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:43:39 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »
I agree Captain Joe I hope she gets it. It will benefit the the sport and the state of NJ in some way. I think we are all just having a little fun with this.  TT^

Offline mckee17

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
My first impression upon seeing the picture for the first time was - How could a seasoned angler who has a potential world record fish have let its condition deteriorate to that extent??  A fresh caught fish reasonably well cared for just doesn't look like that.  I hope that I am all wet on this, however I can't help but be skeptical.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 04:57:23 PM »
 5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »
Hi All,

Here are the facts:

1. There is a fish. Not too many people have ever seen a fish like this ... commercial or recreationally caught.
2. It was weighed and exceeds the current All Tackle World Record at an IGFA Certified Weigh Station (Scott's).
3. It was caught on a private boat with someone on-board!
4. She has successfully filled out the parperwork before.
5. The paperwork (including photos) takes time to complete and file.
6. It has been inspected by a marine Biologist.

All other stuff being thrown around is heresay.

For the millionth time ... congratulations Monica!

She is certainly the "best" (measured by size) Flounder Fisherman this year (Winter and Summer)! Frontpage article to follow ...

Instead of knocking one of our own, why don't we put a positive light on this. Many people from around the country (especially the East Coast) will be reading these threads in the days to come.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
Capt Ron,  I agree that it may help the sport and NJ if it is certified.  I don't agree that we are having fun with it.  When push comes to shove, people are out and out calling her a liar and cheat. I wouldn't call that having fun.  Perhaps I am taking it too seriously, but, I know I certainly wouldn't want people thinking and talking that way about me if I were to be fortunate enough to accomplish something like that.  And I am certain that anyone who is bashing this lady would not want that to happen to them either.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 05:10:24 PM »
I say Good for her.  but also it's ok to be a tad skeptical,  Like a detective.  right Joe.  you need to consider all possibilities..

A mild debate It the most t^

I say good for her.  but I sure would have taken care of that baby better ;)  Like a million dollar check.. TT^

Offline Fishonw/Ron

• Sponsor
    • Custom Boat lettering
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »
Does anyone know what type of endorsements if any can come from a fish like that? I gotta believe some good sponsors will be calling her to endorse. Like Rod said a mild debate is good for the boards on a rainy day or should I say rainy week...

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
Hi All,

Rod - I disagree. I do not question any catch that someone claims. That would be calling them a liar.

Unless there is a technical issue (were the rules of the IGFA were not followed) no one should be skeptical until the law is involved.

Folks - if this fish was not caught by her, she is open up for fraud and other charges.

Think about that ...

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-