Author Topic: Surf Setup Pole and Reel  (Read 13646 times)

Offline initial_reefer

Surf Setup Pole and Reel
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
Hello all My Wonderful Girlfriend of 5 years as of tomorrow is buying me a Surf Setup for our anniversary.

my question is this a good reel and rod combo ?

Emblem®-SF Surf  EMSF1002MHFS       
http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=551

Saltist® STT5000H
http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=499

This reel looks kinda heavy duty for Jersey coast fishing but I am new and could be wrong

I'm open to any poles with Cork but would like to stick to Diawa or Penn for reels

I have about $500 total to spend

Thanks in advanced

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Surf Setup Pole and Reel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
Im not really a surf guy so take everything i say with a BIG grain of salt lol But with 500 total to spend why not get a custom rod made. Either that or save up for a van staal reel from what i understand every surf guy swears by this being the reel of reels. Also check out st croix rods they have a big line of surf rods i believe and IMO are a better company for rods than daiwa. Again i dont surf fish at all but for a great spinning reel in your price range you really cant beat a shimano baitrunner its just awesome and damn near bulletproof.  t^

Good luck with your search im sure all the surf guys will chime in with better info than me lol
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
Hello all My Wonderful Girlfriend of 5 years as of tomorrow is buying me a Surf Setup for our anniversary.

my question is this a good reel and rod combo ?

Emblem®-SF Surf  EMSF1002MHFS       
http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=551

Saltist® STT5000H
http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=499

This reel looks kinda heavy duty for Jersey coast fishing but I am new and could be wrong

I'm open to any poles with Cork but would like to stick to Diawa or Penn for reels

I have about $500 total to spend

Thanks in advanced

I'd say she is wonderful! You'll get good answers in no time.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
first of all let me ask where and what youll be using this. Second where do i find a girlfriend that will let me spend 500 on a setup? Chris l and Surfjockey will be able to help but I will suggest the Mojo, the VS reels arw definatley the cadillac for surf fishing but also come with the same price tag. This is why it is important for us to know the application. If your planning on wading in the wash your definatley goi.g to want a sealed reel to keep the sand out. Let us know your plans and Im sure we can point you in the right direction
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:35 PM »
Basically I'm looking to tread in the surf mainly PP/Mana/IBSP

I'd say 500 is my max on everything not saying I need to spend $500 but its my max

Also My grandfather made custom poles as I have one but I'm afraid I'm going to break it so I wanna just get something I feel a little better about breaking if something does happen

Thanks,
Gary 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Welcome initial_reefer,

Well surf fishing is a very unique sport.  There are a ton of manufactures out there all looking for your money.  I have been surf fishing for well over 50 years in the Ocean and Monmouth counties areas.  I have used everything from conventional to spinning equipment.  I have made tons of mistakes through the years in buying equipment till I learned some very important factors.  One, your rod and reel are the most important pieces of equipment you will use.  They should be matched as closely as possible.  I would pick a reliable shop in the area you will be fishing and allow them to walk you through the buying process.

They will know the type and size of the equipment that works well in that area.  Many shops will let you try the equipment out and if it does not feel right for you they will match you to something that works.

Or another option it to do this you could ask questions like you are doing now and will probably get tons of individual advise, some good and some questionable.  My preferences will be widely different from even those I have taught the ropes to.

With that much money you will have your choice of some pretty reliable equipment.  Will it catch fish well that depends on your skill as a fisherman.  

Just to give you some pointers try to match your rod to the reels final set up.  By this I mean a reel that is over sized might need a rod that will handle the heavier line there by handling heavier lures or bait set ups.  

I have 3 setups I go to for just about every fish that can be caught off our shores, from striped bass, blues, kings, etc. all the way to sharks.  My heaviest line is 40# Power Pro braid.  Most of my gear is Penn and I like the Tica rods.  But than again my pocket book also dictates my equipment.  

My reels fall into the category of 300 to 400 type and I have not had a problem with ether size landing fish.  As far as rods go 8 to 10 footers are ideal, but check the specs on each rod to make sure it matches up to the style of fishing you will be doing,  IE, line weight, lure weight, etc.  You will find this info close to the reel seat on the rod.

Good luck in your search, take your time and I am sure your final choice will work just fine.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »
Yes it would, as would the 2 main B&T's in Seaside Park.  Anyone would be fine.  Not sure if FS will let you try a rig out but the 2 in SSP I know will.

All 3 are no nonsense shops and you can't go wrong especially if you fish in that area.  If you become a regular in any of the shops the info that will flow is priceless.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
initial_reefer,

Check your messages.

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
Relly like the St. Croix suff thanks

VS stuff is nice too but like you said good things come at a price

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
I think the 2 shops south of Sea Side are more in tune to the surf fisherman. If I were looking for some surf stuff, that's where I would go, but hey, I fish off of a boat, so what do I know.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:32 PM »
Yeah, VS's are nice, but I would not recommend shelling out about 700 on a reel for just starting out, unless you surely plan on staying with it.  They are amazing reels and will handle more than most reels out there, but unnecessary unless you plan on dunking it and getting it filled up with sand. 

If you're bait fishing, I'd say go with a Tica TC2 rod, around 10'-11', and there's plenty of Penn & Shimano reels that would match up nicely for it. 
For chucking lures/plugs and such, I'd go with a 9' or 10' St. Croix Mojo and same reel choices as above. 
For $500 you could probably score 2 setups, one to handle bait, and one to toss artificials. 

Just my $0.02.  Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you get!

PS: She's a keeper!
 TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
I'm liking this anyone use it ?

http://www.boaterbarn.com/daiwa_saltiga_surf_6000_big_41893_prd1.htm?productFeedId=0&utm_source=googleFeed&utm_medium=shoppingEngine&utm_medium=Google

I have not used that reel in particular but I have used a lower end Daiwa surf reel with the same style of extended spool (emblem pro I believe.) I am very happy with it.

The other thing I would urge you to consider is what type of fishing you are going to want to do.  If slinging bait is your thing, a bigger reel (maybe one with a live bait function) and longer rod (11') with a heavier action will do you well.  If plugging is more your speed, a smaller, lighter setup will allow you to work lures all day without your arms wanting to fall off.  This is where going to bait shops and just playing with stuff is hard to beat.  Fisherman's supply would be a really good place to start.

Good Luck
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
so I think I'm going with a ST. Croix mojo 10.6 and a Dawia Daiwa Saltiga Surf 5000 I found used for $225 should be a good plugging rod

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
All good choices.  Just looked at the specs on the rod.  Will you be going with the Medium or Medium Heavy rod?

On the Med the line wt. is 10 - 20# with a lure wt of 3/4 to 4oz.

On the Med Heavy the line wt is 12 to 25 with a lure wt of 2 to 6 oz.

if you will be using this rod for just plugging I would go with the Med.  If you will be using it for both plugging and bait go with the Med Heavy. 

Boy I hate choices I am glad it is yours to make.

Happy Casting

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
friend of mine said being its 2-6 oz it would only be good for throwing pencil poppers and wood swimmers on the beach in spring and good for nothing else.????

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
also the guy sold the reel I was gonna buy =/

hmm we dont have a For sale section do we ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:35:42 AM by initial_reefer »

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
I have a 9' Mojo 3/4-4 and it is great for throwing most of my lures.
ChrisL has the 10'6" in the same rating.  Maybe he'll chime in.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »
I have a tica tc2 in 9 9/6 and 10 foot there all great for casting plugs and or bait from light bombers to a whole clam with 4oz lead, I also have the tc3 dolphin and it works well for both but i use it with a baitrunner
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-