Author Topic: Surf Setup Pole and Reel  (Read 13596 times)

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Re: Surf Setup Pole and Reel
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »
I have the Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4oz.  Great rod.  with the right lure, it casts a mile and has plenty of backbone to fight a good fish.  Little on the higher end price wise.
I have several Tica TC2 rods and love every one of them.  Even better...they are very affordable. Most models run $90-$120.  I have a couple 9' for plastic swimmers, bucktails to 2oz, avas to 2oz, poppers, etc.  I have an 11' for pencils, metal lip swimmers, bait etc.  And I have an 10' 2-6oz for bait.  also plan on getting the 8' for smaller swimmers for the bay. 

For reels, it depends on where/how you plan to fish.  If you are fishing open beaches and wading out, the reel will get splashed, dunked, etc.  Most reels can't handle that for long.  If those situations a VS, ZB or old Penn 704, 706 is the way to go.  The Penns just need regular maintenance, but are very affordable.
If the reel will only get an occasional splash, you have a lot more options.  I like the Shimano Stadic, Penn Battle, etc.  I've also heard the Quantum Cabos are good. 
Of course the VS and ZB are excellent reels, but they are pricey.  You will own the reel for life, but I don't recommend it if you are starting out.

In conclusion.... ::)  I'd suggest getting two setups to start. One to handle the plastic swimmers and other light lures, a 9' rod w/ 4000 series reel.  And the second around 10'-11' to handle pencils, swimmers, etc with a 5000 series reel.  Depending on the brands you go with, that is very possible for about $500. 

Good luck  t^ 

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »
 t^ t^ Nicely said
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
anyone have a 706 they are willing to part with ?

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Try the popular auction site.  There's usually a few on there.  Probably gonna run ya in the area of $175 for a good one. 
The 706 will fit nicely on something in the 9ft range. 

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
the 706 would be ok on the 10.6 also ?

Offline FishOn

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »
I agree with everything here chris but let me add my two cents. I have the 8 foot tica you mention. While it is a great loner rod or one to beat the Pee out of on the rocks or at the canal, it is not great for anything less that 3/4 oz.  I use a st croix tidemaster 8' med fast action rated 3/8 to 3/4.  Best back bay plugging rod I've ever owned. I used this rod last year when the bass were on in the back (you know where I'm talking about) and had no problems landing bass to 38" in strong current but still only throwing small bombers and mambos.

To the OP, go with an old Penn and learn how to tear it down, clean it, and reassemble it. Make sure it says made in the US on it and you are good to go.

I have the Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4oz.  Great rod.  with the right lure, it casts a mile and has plenty of backbone to fight a good fish.  Little on the higher end price wise.
I have several Tica TC2 rods and love every one of them.  Even better...they are very affordable. Most models run $90-$120.  I have a couple 9' for plastic swimmers, bucktails to 2oz, avas to 2oz, poppers, etc.  I have an 11' for pencils, metal lip swimmers, bait etc.  And I have an 10' 2-6oz for bait.  also plan on getting the 8' for smaller swimmers for the bay. 

For reels, it depends on where/how you plan to fish.  If you are fishing open beaches and wading out, the reel will get splashed, dunked, etc.  Most reels can't handle that for long.  If those situations a VS, ZB or old Penn 704, 706 is the way to go.  The Penns just need regular maintenance, but are very affordable.
If the reel will only get an occasional splash, you have a lot more options.  I like the Shimano Stadic, Penn Battle, etc.  I've also heard the Quantum Cabos are good. 
Of course the VS and ZB are excellent reels, but they are pricey.  You will own the reel for life, but I don't recommend it if you are starting out.

In conclusion.... ::)  I'd suggest getting two setups to start. One to handle the plastic swimmers and other light lures, a 9' rod w/ 4000 series reel.  And the second around 10'-11' to handle pencils, swimmers, etc with a 5000 series reel.  Depending on the brands you go with, that is very possible for about $500. 

Good luck  t^ 
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
Try the popular auction site. 
:headscra:  Ebay ;D

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Try the popular auction site. 
:headscra:  Ebay ;D
Yeah that  pawle

The706 might be a little small on a 10.6 rod.  The 704 is a great match on most 10-11ft rods.  And its cheaper, usually less then $100 on EBAY

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
so.. the 706 is a little too small but the 704 is just right? are they not the same body.... sorry I keep asking stupid questions

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
I'm not positive about the body size, it might be the same.  But the spool ad rotor are larger on the 704z.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
Pretty sure you have that reversed Chris.  The 706 was (is) the bigger reel.

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
yeah I'm looking at it now the 706 has a bigger rotor same body and same drag system

Offline initial_reefer

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
Rod is on the way I'm getting the 10.6 2-6 I also found a 706 for $130 I'm gonna pick up

Anyone have a guide to drilling the rotor?

Thnaks again everyone

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
I apologize, I had my model numbers mixed up.
The 706 will be fine on a larger rod. 
It was the 710 that is more appropriately sized for a 9ft. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-