Author Topic: Trot line and Pots with non-commercial crab pot license  (Read 13649 times)

Offline baloo6969

• Full Member of the Den
Trot line and Pots with non-commercial crab pot license
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Question,

I've got a non-commercial crab pot license.

I plan on using both pots and trotlines. 

The license says i can use 2 pots or 2 trot lines.

I'm assuming it's legal to put your name and license # on 2 pots AND 2 trot lines, but you cannot fish more than 2 simultaneously, correct?

Also, whats up with NJ only allowing 150' trot lines???

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: Trot line and Pots with non-commercial crab pot license
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
Question,

I've got a non-commercial crab pot license.

I plan on using both pots and trotlines. 

The license says i can use 2 pots or 2 trot lines.

I'm assuming it's legal to put your name and license # on 2 pots AND 2 trot lines, but you cannot fish more than 2 simultaneously, correct?

Also, whats up with NJ only allowing 150' trot lines???

Good question but I'm guessing no more than 2 of either at a time.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
not many people in NJ use trot lines.  They are mostly used down south.  I got boated with my pot licence and you don't need to have your licence number on them.  I used to put it, but every year, they would give me a different number, and i got tired of painting and re painting the numbers on it, so I leave them blank. 

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline baloo6969

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
that's too bad, because it's an efficient way of catching crab...which is probably the issue.  having a 150' line makes it more of a pain to use than it's worth.

I toss all male small/whites and ALL females back, and only keep the big males...and end up with very little at the end of the day.  Unfortunately, not many people have the same mentality.

Is the crab population in NJ really that bad?  Or is the population of crab down south that much higher?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
from what I head, crabbing down south sucks the past few years.  NJ is doing much better then Maryland. 

I am not sure why Trot lining in NJ never picked up and became popular.  In my opinion, NJ has too much boat traffic for trot lines to be effective. 

I noticed, even when using drop lines, its very difficult to get the crabs off the bottom where boat traffic is crazy.  Commercial pots are the way to go.  A good 20 hour soak, and you have dinner.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »
from what I head, crabbing down south sucks the past few years.  NJ is doing much better then Maryland. 

I am not sure why Trot lining in NJ never picked up and became popular.  In my opinion, NJ has too much boat traffic for trot lines to be effective. 

I noticed, even when using drop lines, its very difficult to get the crabs off the bottom where boat traffic is crazy.  Commercial pots are the way to
go.  A good 20 hour soak, and you have dinner.

If you can find an area quiet enough for trot lines give it a shot, but Luna hit it on the head use the pots. set and forget. after a good soak thell be loaded up. Fluke racks make great bait t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline wimpy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Trot's are a waste of time. Too short to really get anything going without tearing your hair out. Pot with several tag holders to increase catch, % go's up with a little less work and you have a heck of alot more fun then trying to run trot's at 150' IMHO

Offline wimpy

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
Answer to your ?
A non-commercial crab pot license is required for the use of not more than two (2) non-collapsible Chesapeake-style crab pots or two (2) trot lines to harvest crabs.

OR is the key word

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Took a trip to ST Michael's in Maryland last year. its was very educational . As far as Crabbing goes. The commercial boats. Came in Loaded with big males. Jimmies as the say. so my sites were set for a Crab Feast that night. The restaurant which is the most popular one on the water, I was told it was the place to go for crabs. I left with out eating one crab why. They wanted $65.00 for a dozen Jimmies steamed. The excuse was they come from a famous river mouth off the bay and are the best and sweetest crabs ever, Now put a crab in hot water add Old Bay hot pepper flakes salt beer and then tell me how sweet that meat of the Crab is. On the way home found a small place with big males $15.00 said to be from the same area cooked the same way. so I had my Feast. just no water View. Only spent one night there and left for more affordable.  Climes the outer banks. Bill

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
I heard of many  crabs already being  caught and released in Barneget Bay behind private homes with docks. They are just test pots till the season opens
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
They are just test pots till the season opens

Suuuuuuure they are. ;)

;D

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
I heard of many  crabs already being  caught and released in Barneget Bay behind private homes with docks. They are just test pots till the season opens

Let me know how those test crabs taste so i know if Im gonna do it for real t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
What Season crab pots and trot lines except for the Delaware River and its tributary's is March 15--Nov 30 Other ten that there is no closed season. Bill

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
I had 4 test posts in this weekend.  ONly 14 keepers, and small keeper.  I got a good taste though.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-