Author Topic: Lefty needs advice  (Read 11491 times)

Offline lea_red

Lefty needs advice
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to saltwater fishing and researching a rod/reel to purchase.  I'm a lefty so I've come across some limitations there.  I'm looking at the Avet MXL 5.8 MC reel (one of the only ones I found that has a true lefty set-up) and looking for a compatible rod that won't break the bank.  I want to get on some of the sponsor boats this year (live in northern NJ) for some striper.  clp 

Some rods I'm checking out are the Penn Carnage, Seeker rods, and some Shimano at the 6 1/2-7ft size, as light as possible (I don't want my arm to fall off just waiting for a fish).  Closer to the $100 range, the better.

Any advice/recommendations on a solid outfit would be much appreciated.

Tight Lines.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Re: Lefty needs advice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
Hmmm, I'm lefty and would rather reel with my right hand so my stronger hand is holding the rod.  Avet makes a left handed crank model as you've mentioned, I know Penn does as well. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
So does Abu
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
Daiwa does too.  Rod selection depends on the species you want to target. Most anglers have at least 2 rods. One for inshore shallow water fishing and another with more backbone for deeper water 60' plus and requires more weight to hold bottom. If you can only buy one,, get the heavier rod because you can use it for everything but it has less feeling. I'm a big fan of the St.Croix Premier in 7' . It will cost you more though but has great customer service.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline lea_red

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
Thanks, all.  I will look into the rod you mentioned Hunter.  @Andy's Delight-us lefties are a weird bunch.   ;)  So used to doing things right-handed sometimes that I like some things better right-handed and some things left-handed.  I reel with my left-hand with my spinner and my right for my fly rod.  Go figure.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Plenty of great sponsor boats here, especially up North. Take a look in the sponsor section.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline lea_red

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Thanks, Fellinger.  Always nice to have discounts for us 'chicks'!  Keep it comin' boys!  slt

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
I am a right handed and I prefer to reel with my left 5hrug.  I love my AVET MXL, I have it paired with a 7' barefoot (not being made anymore i'm afraid).  If you want a rod with faster action (like the shimanos or the st croix), check out the tsunami airwave boat rod. I've never had good experiences with Penn rods, but don't let me talk you out of one if you really like it.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
Thanks, all.  I will look into the rod you mentioned Hunter.  @Andy's Delight-us lefties are a weird bunch.   ;)  So used to doing things right-handed sometimes that I like some things better right-handed and some things left-handed.  I reel with my left-hand with my spinner and my right for my fly rod.  Go figure.

you most likely do that because you can fly reels are hard to find in lefty, Im right handed but reel with my left. If i were lefty id reel with my right it makes more sense to me to hold the rod where you need more strength which for me is my right hand t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Lefty = Right hand retrieve.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
Lefty = Right hand retrieve.

On a spinning rod.  Most conventionals have right hand retrieve, with left handed retrieve being considered "left handed".  I learned to reel with my right hand just because you have more selection. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
Ok all you righties, question. If you crank your conventional with your right hand...why the heck do you crank your spinning with your LEFT hand?!?!?!?! That one never made sense to me.   :headscra:

I am leftie and use my right hand to crank both conventional and spinning. My left side is my power side so I have more control over the rod when I am fighting a fish by having the rod in my left hand.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
I just switched over my spinner to RH crank- feels weird. I'll work with it so eventually I'll be ambifishtrous  slt

or is it ambicrankstrous?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:39:10 PM by wb »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
I just switched over my spinner to RH crank- feels weird. I'll work with it so eventually I'll be ambifishtrous  slt

or is it ambicrankstrous?

either one good with me t^

And Joe its because its hard to find conventional reels in lefty thats why i have avets

Offline lea_red

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
Yup, that's what I discovered Andys.  I think you have to be careful of how they describe it.  Lefty 'retrieve' is cranking with your left hand.  My spin reel is a righty so I crank with my left hand.  With my fly rod, I mistakenly ordered the Lefty, thinking it was a left handed retrieve but it ended up being a left-handed rod hold and a right-hand crank. This can be very confusing.   ???

I discovered how irritating being a lefty could be when I went deep sea fishing for marlin in Mexico.  No lefty reels on the boat and we hooked into a good size marlin.  I could barely crank the lever.  I ended up quickly breaking the line and breaking my heart in the process.  thud

I just ordered the Avet MXL with a lefty retrieve.  Looking forward to trying it out this season!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
Yup, that's what I discovered Andys.  I think you have to be careful of how they describe it.  Lefty 'retrieve' is cranking with your left hand.  My spin reel is a righty so I crank with my left hand.  With my fly rod, I mistakenly ordered the Lefty, thinking it was a left handed retrieve but it ended up being a left-handed rod hold and a right-hand crank. This can be very confusing.   ???

I discovered how irritating being a lefty could be
when I went deep sea fishing for marlin in Mexico.  No lefty reels on the boat and we hooked into a good size marlin.  I could barely crank the lever.  I ended up quickly breaking the line and breaking my heart in the process.  thud

I just ordered the Avet MXL with a lefty retrieve.  Looking forward to trying it out this season!

thats a nice reel t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »
Great choice with the Avet.    t^     Make sure you get a lefty rod and line.    ;D    Lol   Good luck with everything, all advice is free here
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline lea_red

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
Ha ha.  Thanks, Hunter 2.  I'll post a report next time I go out.  Thanks for all the info, everyone!   chrz

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
Great choice with the Avet.    t^     Make sure you get a lefty rod and line.    ;D    Lol   Good luck with everything, all advice is free here

Hey Hunter, If he does all that then he'll need left handed hooks too and might as well learn to tie left handed knots!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:42 PM »
speaking ive this i have to buy a new lefty reel for my new rod. Thanks Phil slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-