Author Topic: Be on the Lookout for False Albacore!  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Be on the Lookout for False Albacore!
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
Hi All,

Captain's logbooks contain many clues about how different fish species interact within their environment. Mine points out that in the past few years, I have caught False Albacore on top water lures just off of Bayhead around this time of the Summer. Whether it transpires or not exactly on a particular date is not relevent. Rather, it points out that it could happen. In that case, one should be prepared in the event it does.

How do I prepare? I make sure I have at least one spincast outfit at the ready with an AVA 27, no tube tail. I also may have one with a topwater lure like a red and white Yozuri swimmer. Please note that a small wire leader will work. They are not line shy, especially during blitz conditions. It may save you a few lures if the Blues are mixed in.

I have caught these fish in blitz conditions both in the early morning and late afternoon. They have been mixed with big bluefish. It seems that the lure does not matter. They were smashing baitfish that most likely exited the Manasquan Inlet.

So, if you are out in the next few weeks, have a pole that you can cast to breaking fish at the ready and your eyes scanning the area you are passing through. If you find them, hold on tight. False albacore are spectacular to fight. BTW, please practice catch and release with them. They have little or no table value.

BTW, this applies to both boaters and surf casters as they are frequently tight to the beach!

Capt. Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Be on the Lookout for False Albacore!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
Hi Ed,

That is what I was waiting for, "Tight To The Beach".  Is there any time of day that is best to latch on to one of these fighters?

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
Hi Paul,

Times of reduced boat traffic ... Log shows:

1. North side of the Manasquan Inlet pinned in the pocket in 10 ft. of water.

2. Just off Mantoloking to Bayhead 100 yds. off the beach.

The times are listed as 6:00AM and 4:00PM ... within 2 hrs either way on the afternoon side.

I will keep you informed as my family obligations are coming to a close.

The Fall is magic!

Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
 TT^ TT^ TT^

I love the fall on the beach.

No flies.

No out of towner's

Ho hassles.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
I'm on vacation all this week.  I'm going to try to get over to the beach on a couple of mornings.  I've got some Deadly Dicks ready to go!!  Love the Fat Alberts!!!! ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-